Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does Cobb's new traction control system significantly improve acceleration and decrease wheel spin for the Focus ST's? Can anyone who has been using it lend some insight? I'm probably going to go towards Stratified when I get a new AP and I know that Stratified's new TT system is built off of Cobb's.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,198 Posts
Does Cobb's new traction control system significantly improve acceleration and decrease wheel spin for the Focus ST's? Can anyone who has been using it lend some insight? I'm probably going to go towards Stratified when I get a new AP and I know that Stratified's new TT system is built off of Cobb's.
Yes. It's just short of a miracle to us FoST drivers.

A test done right after release showed something like a Big Turbo ST doing 2.0 seconds from 40-60 with stock traction control
1.8 seconds with stock system turned off (allows for wheel spin)
and 1.6 seconds with the new Cobb TC. And that's from 40-60. Imagine how nice it is from a stop. I love it.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
I don't have it (have not updated my maps since it came out). Have seen mostly positive reviews so far. Some complaints of wheel hop (motor mounts might help).

http://www.focusst.org/forum/focus-st-performance/53521-cobb-traction-control.html

http://www.focusst.org/forum/focus-...out-cobb-tc-made-me-love-my-car-all-over.html

Note the links are not to imply that this question has been asked (it really has not that I can recall). However, they do contain some reviews that might help if this thread does not get many replies.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,198 Posts
I don't have it (have not updated my maps since it came out). Have seen mostly positive reviews so far. Some complaints of wheel hop (motor mounts might help).

http://www.focusst.org/forum/focus-st-performance/53521-cobb-traction-control.html

http://www.focusst.org/forum/focus-...out-cobb-tc-made-me-love-my-car-all-over.html

Note the links are not to imply that this question has been asked (it really has not that I can recall). However, they do contain some reviews that might help if this thread does not get many replies.
That first thread he posted is what I was referring to. It was 30-50mph my apologies. ^^ Give it a read.

·
Registered
979 Posts
I agree with Brian60. It is an amazing difference, and it works instantly when it detects wheel spin. Feels a lot better and smoother when it activates then the stock traction control.
I run the Stage 1 Cobb 93 tune as my commute tune and I run a Stratified 93 tune when I want more HP. Both tunes new traction control work amazingly well. No more feathering the throttle in first and 2nd or out of the hole launching. It really makes the car a lot more enjoyable to drive and really easy to get off the line quick.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,198 Posts
I agree with Brian60. It is an amazing difference, and it works instantly when it detects wheel spin. Feels a lot better and smoother when it activates then the stock traction control.
I run the Stage 1 Cobb 93 tune as my commute tune and I run a Stratified 93 tune when I want more HP. Both tunes new traction control work amazingly well. No more feathering the throttle in first and 2nd or out of the hole launching. It really makes the car a lot more enjoyable to drive and really easy to get off the line quick.
If you get used to using it though and you autocross and have to untune your car I will say that it makes for some extremely bad launches until you get used to driving the car without it again haha. My first 2 runs out of 4 the day I untuned and autocrossed for the first time I lit the tires up bad both times and looked like I had just bought the car.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
For a little more background on my situation, I bought my car used and it came upgraded fully to Stage 3. It's tuned but it's an older tune without the new TC system or anything but I'm pretty sure it is a Stage 3 tune. Unfortunately, the car didn't come with the AP (bought it from a dealer). I've had the car for about a year and since it's been tuned, I haven't really felt the urgency of getting a new AP (and figuring out how to delink my car from the old AP) but I just recently heard about the new TC system so I'm interested. I like everything Stratified offers so I'm thinking of getting their flash tune but I'm curious as to how their TC differs from Cobb's. They say that it further refines Cobb's system but doesn't go into much detail.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
For a little more background on my situation, I bought my car used and it came upgraded fully to Stage 3. It's tuned but it's an older tune without the new TC system or anything but I'm pretty sure it is a Stage 3 tune. Unfortunately, the car didn't come with the AP (bought it from a dealer).
I wouldn't let TC be the reason to get the AP then. If the car is already tuned Stage 3, I would say you should have an AP. Monitoring the tune is important. Having the ability to swap tune in the event you need gas and cannot find the octane of your current tune is important. Without the AP, you are trusting that the previous owner is running a quality tune. They might not have been. You are also trusting that they are running a tune at all (again it might not be, since I am pretty sure there are workarounds for upgraded downpipes and no AP).

Not saying you have to have one. Just saying in your situation, I would want one.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I wouldn't let TC be the reason to get the AP then. If the car is already tuned Stage 3, I would say you should have an AP. Monitoring the tune is important. Having the ability to swap tune in the event you need gas and cannot find the octane of your current tune is important. Without the AP, you are trusting that the previous owner is running a quality tune. They might not have been. You are also trusting that they are running a tune at all (again it might not be, since I am pretty sure there are workarounds for upgraded downpipes and no AP).

Not saying you have to have one. Just saying in your situation, I would want one.
I do want to but as you said, I haven't been focused on getting one. The car has a CP-E catback, CP-E CAI, CP-E FMIC, CP-E catless DP, BOV, and big mouth snorkel....I'm not sure if I could really ask for any more upgrades aside from a big turbo :haha:

But yeah, I have the ability to switch map slots by pulling up on the cancel/resume cruise control. In it, I have three maps, one for normal driving, one for normal + launch control (set at 3k RPM), and one for low boost (~7 PSI). With that and the fact that the car goes to about 21 PSI under boost and I'm sure that it's tuned. Whether it's a Stage 3 tune or not, I have no idea, and I also don't know how old the tune is or what tuner it came from. I've been running 93 since I got the car and it's been perfect so getting an AP hasn't been #1 priority. However, now that I received a bonus from work, I'm thinking about biting the bullet and finally dropping the $500 for a new AP and flash tune from Stratified.

However, two questions I have; one, when going through the different choices on Stratified's website, there's an option for limiting torque in 2nd gear. With the new TC system, is that still necessary at Stage 3? I figure it's something better suited for BT and bigger numbers. Also, I do plan on keeping a low-boost slot but there's another option for limiting boost/rev limit per slot. What's the point of that option?

And two, how would I go about getting my car delinked from the old AP? Since it's still tuned, I can't just buy an AP and link the new one to my car, right?

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
And two, how would I go about getting my car delinked from the old AP? Since it's still tuned, I can't just buy an AP and link the new one to my car, right?
Others may know the how on this one, but I am pretty sure the answer is contact Cobb. From what I have read they have been really good about sorting out situations similar to this when they occur (things like stolen AP, car flashed by dealer when tune installed, etc.).

·
Registered
196 Posts
However, two questions I have; one, when going through the different choices on Stratified's website, there's an option for limiting torque in 2nd gear. With the new TC system, is that still necessary at Stage 3? I figure it's something better suited for BT and bigger numbers. Also, I do plan on keeping a low-boost slot but there's another option for limiting boost/rev limit per slot. What's the point of that option?

You don't need 2nd gear torque limiting on the stock turbo. Boost is already limited in 2nd gear with most tunes. I'm not sure I understand the point of boost limiting slots anyway. Its not very difficult to stay out of boost once you've been driving the car for awhile. And lastly, I'm not positive, but if you get a new AP, the option to uninstall it might be viable, but I'm just shooting in the dark. Regardless, if you buy one and have issues, give Cobb a call and I'm sure they will sort it out.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts