Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I Have been struggling to achieve all monitor's to be set as "ready"

I have all stage 3 Bolt-ons including a "cobb catted downpipe"

Why is my 02 sensor and 02 Rear Heat Sensor are not passing? My stage 3 protune has all emissions turned on, so I'm not bypassing anything. So I'm very concerned on what may be happening and I'm throwing a code P0420!

If anyone can help please help!!!

·
Registered
304 Posts
Your O2 sensor could be damaged/not reading properly. Are you running a "pops and crackles" cal with the protune? That could have damaged your cat so that it is not filtering out emissions properly.

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
I Have been struggling to achieve all monitor's to be set as "ready"

I have all stage 3 Bolt-ons including a "cobb catted downpipe"

Why is my 02 sensor and 02 Rear Heat Sensor are not passing? My stage 3 protune has all emissions turned on, so I'm not bypassing anything. So I'm very concerned on what may be happening and I'm throwing a code P0420!

If anyone can help please help!!!
The hi flow cat will not perform at the efficiency as OEM, why the code. If you have to have the rear O2 turned on for emissions then a spacer for rear o2 sensor will fix things for you.

·
Registered
768 Posts
I was under the impression a tune would adjust for that and eliminate CEL and make sensors "ready" even though filtering was out of threshold? Basically, I thought a tune could adjust any thresholds to prevent these items. No?

·
Registered
5,568 Posts
I was under the impression a tune would adjust for that and eliminate CEL and make sensors "ready" even though filtering was out of threshold? Basically, I thought a tune could adjust any thresholds to prevent these items. No?
No, only thing the tune does is disable the rear O2 so it doesn't throw a code. Once its back on the code comes up.

·
Registered
629 Posts
rear o2 needs j tube spacer. then complete drive cycle and it will be fine. i'm catless and i pass all ready monitors. assuming rear o2 has not been disabled.

·
Registered
629 Posts
tuners dont mess with emissions stuff because they can get in legal trouble. see harley davidson screaming eagle tune fiasco.

·
Administrator
11,816 Posts
tuners dont mess with emissions stuff because they can get in legal trouble. see harley davidson screaming eagle tune fiasco.
Ummm all tuners turn off the rear O2 sensor with a full tune or an ots stage 3 tune. You have to request for it to be turned on last time i checked.

Which is due to the nature of aftermarket downpipes, either catless or high flow thus causing the emissions code.

Reactions: SIstomper

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hey man, the ones that are reading "not ready" are the 02 sensor, catalyst, oxygen sensor heater? Will the jtube fix all of these. And I live in Pennsylvania so I need to get 2 of these to pass to get my emissions sticker, because I'm allowed to have one reading "not ready"

·
Registered
629 Posts
i have a catless downpipe, with vibrant brand j tube on rear o2 (medium size insert) with stratified stage 3 tune. I told them to keep rear o2 enabled. i pass all readiness monitors.

·
Registered
5,568 Posts
Hey man, the ones that are reading "not ready" are the 02 sensor, catalyst, oxygen sensor heater? Will the jtube fix all of these. And I live in Pennsylvania so I need to get 2 of these to pass to get my emissions sticker, because I'm allowed to have one reading "not ready"
Thats the rear O2 and its been disabled. Put the jtube in and have your tuner turn it back on. Should be ok

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So that sounds like its all I really need is the j- tube spacer!

Can anyone copy and paste a link to the one I need? So I can have it installed?

·
Registered
768 Posts
So that sounds like its all I really need is the j- tube spacer!

Can anyone copy and paste a link to the one I need? So I can have it installed?
OR...also explain to me what the heck this actually is and does, LOL!

So just so I have it straight...I am not subject to any emissions testing. If I go catless downpipe (or even with a cat based off what you guys are saying), the tuner will turn off the downstream O2's to prevent a constant CEL, correct? But that will throw a "not ready" for that sensor. Since no emission testing required, that's all moot, correct? If I want a "ready", I need to get whatever this spacer is and have the tune turn the downstream sensor back on, correct? Thanks guys.

·
Registered
5,568 Posts
OR...also explain to me what the heck this actually is and does, LOL!

So just so I have it straight...I am not subject to any emissions testing. If I go catless downpipe (or even with a cat based off what you guys are saying), the tuner will turn off the downstream O2's to prevent a constant CEL, correct? But that will throw a "not ready" for that sensor. Since no emission testing required, that's all moot, correct? If I want a "ready", I need to get whatever this spacer is and have the tune turn the downstream sensor back on, correct? Thanks guys.
So if you go catless or high flow cat the rear O2 sensor that monitors the cat will never reach the threshold it needs to see triggering a code for cat efficiency. Tuners disable it so it throws no codes. The j tube or defouler their sometimes called moves the sensor further from the flow stream tricking it into thinking the cat is there. They dont always work

·
Registered
816 Posts
Well put. Your not guaranteed to have the monitors set. People get lucky

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
Also for some reason, some people are not able to ever have them set with a tune on their car. Me being one of those. Even with set to how it should be, I'm never able to get my car to pass with a tune. Always needed to uninstall, and do the driving cycle again.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts