Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well. I was excited to put this in the car because I heard so much on the forums that it makes the car feel so much better in a few different ways.

Shifting from 1st to 2nd during normal driving isn’t all that much better feeling. I don’t know... I was expecting more. So much hype over the motor mount and it doesn’t feel all that much more connected and smooth over stock.

I torqued everything to spec and followed a guide so I’m fairly certain everything is correct!

The launch is definitely more planted to the ground but still very prominent wheel hop.

Slamming 1st to 2nd also still gives the big clunk. I was expecting that to go away but not so much.

Maybe I was expecting too much out of the mount? Is this your experience with the COBB mount?

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,194 Posts
Well. I was excited to put this in the car because I heard so much on the forums that it makes the car feel so much better in a few different ways.

Shifting from 1st to 2nd during normal driving isn’t all that much better feeling. I don’t know... I was expecting more. So much hype over the motor mount and it doesn’t feel all that much more connected and smooth over stock.

I torqued everything to spec and followed a guide so I’m fairly certain everything is correct!

The launch is definitely more planted to the ground but still very prominent wheel hop.

Slamming 1st to 2nd also still gives the big clunk. I was expecting that to go away but not so much.

Maybe I was expecting too much out of the mount? Is this your experience with the COBB mount?
Well the super loud slamming noise consistent with hard 1 -> 2 shifts on the stock mount should be almost entirely gone with the Cobb RMM. I'm surprised if it isn't. Unless perhaps your expectations were it would make your car entirely silent during spirited operations? I have the Boomba RMM and absolutely love it and it eliminated the 1->2 bang. Wheel hop is still there but it's improved. Need a front traction bar to eliminate that the rest of the way.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No the 1-2 slam is not gone. By no means is it gone. Maybe better? Slightly? But definitely not gone.

Launch is more planted for sure.

Idle and take off vibrate super hard. Whole car vibrates. It makes my rear license plate rattle. Makes the privacy cover rattle. It’s definitely not a case of “didn’t torque it enough” or something like that.

It just doesn’t seem to do much other than plant the wheels slightly better on launch.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,194 Posts
No the 1-2 slam is not gone. By no means is it gone. Maybe better? Slightly? But definitely not gone.

Launch is more planted for sure.

Idle and take off vibrate super hard. Whole car vibrates. It makes my rear license plate rattle. Makes the privacy cover rattle. It’s definitely not a case of “didn’t torque it enough” or something like that.

It just doesn’t seem to do much other than plant the wheels slightly better on launch.
Keep in mind that it does need to break in for a little while so the vibrate will go away if you give it a week or two of driving. That won't do any justice for your 1->2 bang though if that isn't resolved. Interesting that it doesn't sound like it made much improvement. Unless this is a used Cobb RMM that is worn out or something lol

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I sure hope not lol got it new in box nice and shiny off eBay lol.

I dunno. I’m not exactly impressed or happy with the change. I’d like to hear from some others if this was their experience or not.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
I have the boomba as well and the first to second bang is gone. It vibrates like crazy though. Even with a traction bar the whole car still vibrates.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
118 Posts
I'm glad you posted this thread. I've been on the fence about an RMM, and this might just push me toward avoiding one altogether.

I don't have a 1-2 "bang", so I'd only be getting one to reduce wheel hop. If an RMM is really going to negatively affect NVH to the point that the entire car rattles, it hardly seems worth it.

·
Premium Member
2,367 Posts
Umm, as mentioned in several threads but specifically the Rear Motor Mount thread, Mountune is the smoothest/least NVH, cPE and Boomba are the most firm and plant the best. The couple guys who tried cPe/boomba and Mountune reported Mountune planted just as good but less NVH. I have Mountune and traction bar, All-seasons will spin before they hop, added nvh really only equates to more bass in the engine tone. Won’t be testing on summer tires myself for a long while, but from my research, COBB was the least favored. Just for those that haven’t gotten one yet, if you have the Cobb may as well roll w/ it and try a traction bar.

And yes Mountune feels so much more connected and smooth over stock, my friend could tell from the passenger seat before and after. Still my best mod.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts