Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the Cobb ots stage 1 tune set on my car & it’s been like that since I’ve got it , I’ve had no issues , peak psi hitting around 21, but everyone I’ve talked to says they don’t recommend it & it’s scaring me lol , I have a exhaust & intake with the tune , I bought a stratified flash tune to install as well but people are saying that’s bad too so what tunes do you guys recommend? Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
9,814 Posts
It's not that "canned" tunes are necessarily really bad, they are just not really good. You are best off spending a few extra dollars for a custom tune.

·
Registered
106 Posts
If I had to make the choice between running a Cobb canned tune for 90 days or getting mercilessly beat with a rabid badger taped to a stick, I’d choose the rabies. Cobb’s OTS tunes are great initially, power delivery is on point & the torque pulls u into the next dimension while u shred off the front tires.

Outside of the stigma around them & the many horror stories of ppl blowing up their EBs I personally noticed tht at times the tune could be a little too aggressive for the car. All of tht torque being generated at such a low RPM range put me in the mindset of “one of these days this thing is gonna put itself into a LSPI moment & I’m gonna end up making a piston smoothie...”

That being said I switched to a stratified canned tune a few days later. All in all, a Cobb tune isn’t the absolute worst OTS tune out there & the guys at Cobb definitely know their stuff, I personally just feel as though sometimes their tunes can disagree with certain customer’s cars.

Sent from The Mystery Machine

·
Registered
5 Posts
Went from Cobb stage 1 to a stratified ots tune without the crackles. The car now almost never throws negative corrections like it would on the Cobb. Noticed on liftoff of throttle that stratified cuts the power much sooner which I imagine is safer for the engine. New tune idles smoother while the Cobb had big trouble finding idle while cold. Overall I didn’t mind the cobb tune but I have a million times more confidence in the reliability now. A custom tune will always be the best tho.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Went from Cobb stage 1 to a stratified ots tune without the crackles. The car now almost never throws negative corrections like it would on the Cobb. Noticed on liftoff of throttle that stratified cuts the power much sooner which I imagine is safer for the engine. New tune idles smoother while the Cobb had big trouble finding idle while cold. Overall I didn’t mind the cobb tune but I have a million times more confidence in the reliability now. A custom tune will always be the best tho.
Strat ots are so refined and semi custom, that a full custom tune on stock turbo is waste of money.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Kona Blue ST1
2,885 Posts
Cobb OTS tunes are a starting point. They allow you a base line to begin adjusting the individual parameters with their Accesstuner software. In reality tunes are as safe as the person making the adjustments to the PCM.

Improperly operating the vehicle and the mechanical condition also plays a huge part in this discussion as well.

As for a full custom tune on a stock K03? I personally have a stock turbo with a two separate "full custom" tunes. One is from Stratified and the other is mine. Multiple revisions and more data logs than I care to remember. I personally tune for my own personal knowledge and long-term reliability.

I have experience tuning other manufacturers and aftermarket stand alone PCMs. I taught myself the EcoBoost platform for fun.

In summation, find a reputable company to work with and learn about how this platform functions so you can better set realistic goals for your project.

J

·
Administrator
12,270 Posts
I ran Cobb OTS back in 2014 for a little bit. It wasnt noticeably bad. I'd go Cobb ots over FRPP any day.

Cobbs ots change, as they update the AP3, so I don't know what they are like now.

Custom tuning on tge K03 is dependant on your mods. I've had a few ots plus, like 3 or 4 full custom tunes, and a few touch ups. Full custom was always better than OTS+. I took the K03 pretty far, further than OTS tuning would support properly. Needed the refinement that only multiple revisions can yeild.

Yeah, driving habits, maint, and actually knowing what your inputs are doing to the car. Fuel is a big one too, not all gas is the same regardless of octane.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Strat ots are so refined and semi custom, that a full custom tune on stock turbo is waste of money.
Well let that be your little secret, wont we?[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
477 Posts
Well let that be your little secret, wont we?
Yep, your in the cool club, don’t worry!

For most that have standard mods, a custom tune is not needed, unless your data log showed issues, even then Strat offers a one time review to correct safety issues. Strat said you might gain 4-5 hp going custom.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Yep, your in the cool club, don’t worry!

For most that have standard mods, a custom tune is not needed, unless your data log showed issues, even then Strat offers a one time review to correct safety issues. Strat said you might gain 4-5 hp going custom.
Oh no....im not tuned by the cool people like you may think are the go to for all tuning questions, but im not the one who keeps stating Strat for their info, so since I have owned tuned turbo cars long enough to know that people that spread information like you, are the same people at car shows you listen to that talk about their car like they clearly have NO IDEA what theyre talking about! So yes if the cool club means that I am in the club that cares whole lot about their cars, and realizes a custom tune isnt just about the power to me and alot of people. And beyond the 4-5 hp that Strat told you youd only gain, you also gain the fact that there is so much more that goes into a tune, the fact that you think all you get from a custom tune is maybe 4-5 extra hp shows me this is a moot argument, if you dont know the all benefits from custom tune, and not only that what the downsides of a canned tune are. Mainly they arent made for your car, they are made for a car that was mass produced by the thousands but yea your right theyre prolly all the same. Given if every single person had the same parts, put on the same way, with the same carenand maintenance same driving style and everything then maybe itd be the same from car to car, but each car is gonna have its own hiccups, its own build up of carbon on the injectors, valves and whatever else which will change things. Ive done my valves twice...it makes a big difference. Im just saying man....we are one in the same we both love our STs, im just trying to say custom tunes are thebway to go, if you have a stock ST and wanna run a Can tune ok i guess its your perogative just as it would be anyone elses. Have a good one man, whether u have a can tune or a custom one man, you drive an ST, you know your in the cool club...hahaha

·
Administrator
12,270 Posts
Oh no....im not tuned by the cool people like you may think are the go to for all tuning questions, but im not the one who keeps stating Strat for their info, so since I have owned tuned turbo cars long enough to know that people that spread information like you, are the same people at car shows you listen to that talk about their car like they clearly have NO IDEA what theyre talking about! So yes if the cool club means that I am in the club that cares whole lot about their cars, and realizes a custom tune isnt just about the power to me and alot of people. And beyond the 4-5 hp that Strat told you youd only gain, you also gain the fact that there is so much more that goes into a tune, the fact that you think all you get from a custom tune is maybe 4-5 extra hp shows me this is a moot argument, if you dont know the all benefits from custom tune, and not only that what the downsides of a canned tune are. Mainly they arent made for your car, they are made for a car that was mass produced by the thousands but yea your right theyre prolly all the same. Given if every single person had the same parts, put on the same way, with the same carenand maintenance same driving style and everything then maybe itd be the same from car to car, but each car is gonna have its own hiccups, its own build up of carbon on the injectors, valves and whatever else which will change things. Ive done my valves twice...it makes a big difference. Im just saying man....we are one in the same we both love our STs, im just trying to say custom tunes are thebway to go, if you have a stock ST and wanna run a Can tune ok i guess its your perogative just as it would be anyone elses. Have a good one man, whether u have a can tune or a custom one man, you drive an ST, you know your in the cool club...hahaha
I wish you were in the Paragraph Composition club...

Different people have different experiences, and therefore different opinions. I too, prefer custom tuning, and have found it to noticeably exceed OTS and OTS plus maps.

Reactions: Blackula

·
Premium Member
842 Posts
Paragraphs and punctuation make for easier reading which means more people will read the good things you have to say and then it will help more people who can then benefit from all of your experience and what you have learned otherwise nobody will ever read what you wrote because it all runs together and gives the readers brain no place to collect process and organize what you’ve said. It’s not that people are being grammar police towards you it’s we want to be able understand what you have to say and it’s hard to read when you write screens worth of tin on sentences that have poor punctuation, and are filled with casually spelled words which causes people to give up. If you want people to read everything you have to say and take you seriously make it easier for them to do so. #IronicalPost 😁

·
Super Moderator
2017 Kona Blue ST1
2,885 Posts
I feel like we've covered this somewhere before...

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
I know...which one the tune thing or the sentence thing....cause i feel we have done both...i wish i would just get the point

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
You guuuuyyyyysssss🤣....dont make me feel so insecure about my stutttuututtuter.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts