Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone so quick question, how is the reliability/safety for COBB OTS stage 3 maps? I have a 17 ST1 with about 1000 miles on it. I own full stage 3 bolt ons. (they are all COBB). but I only have the CAI installed for now so I could break it in an enjoy it semi-stock for a little while.

Im on my way to stage 3 by middle of June with the mileage im putting on at this rate (wanted to wait until 5k to put everything else on)

I have a build thread if you need details.

Since reliability/safety are the main concern for me, Ive been looking into stratified for a custom tune, in case the majority of what I hear is to steer clear of OTS maps.

Also, what about running stage 1...2 tunes with stage 3 bolt ons? are there any caveats with doing this?

Thanks!

·
Registered
289 Posts
Personally, I've felt stage 3 seems the most stable (I'm stage 3 Stratified though... Not Cobb) charting all the monitors it has definitely been the most healthy. Every other stage had been pushing without decent supporting mods. My opinion if course...

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Personally, I've felt stage 3 seems the most stable (I'm stage 3 Stratified though... Not Cobb) charting all the monitors it has definitely been the most healthy. Every other stage had been pushing without decent supporting mods. My opinion if course...

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Thank you, ive been searching the forum for a while now I couldnt find a thread that could give me the info I needed. but from what I have found it seems Stratified is the way to go. I've seen a lot of "ive been running stage 3 with no problems for xxx miles" but didnt mention if they were COBB OTS or Stratified custom/SOTS3. I even looked at their signatures for their mods and couldnt see anything.

has anyone run COBB OTS S3 for a signicificant amount of time without problems?

·
Registered
228 Posts
It's worth buying the AP from Stratified and getting at least their OTS map. They will have you log things and make sure you are running safely.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
917 Posts
I simply run a Stratified stage 3 flash tune. I don't feel the need to invest in a full custom tune unless I go BT.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I simply run a Stratified stage 3 flash tune. I don't feel the need to invest in a full custom tune unless I go BT.
Nice, thanks. I know Stratified sells AP's with the SOTS flash tunes already on them. Since I already own an AP would I just be able to buy a flash tune off of them then DL to AP?

·
Registered
517 Posts
I bought my AP from Mountune and you get 45 days custom tuning w/ Randy w/ purchase.. So far he's built my original tune and given me 1 revision in the ~3 weeks i've had it.. seems VERY reliable.. and learning so far what I have on here about logs and whats good and what's bad.. everything seems to be well in line of what's good... Randy says everything looks great.. I just sent in my 2nd set of logs the other day and i'm waiting to hear back and get my new revision...

FWIW I hear that Alex and the team @STRatified are great.. and very reputable.. I wanted to go w/ mountune ONLY for 2 reasons: 1. Randy and his rep. and 2. The fact that mountune has been tuning Ford engines since the 80's. 'Nuff said for me. :)

·
Registered
917 Posts
Nice, thanks. I know Stratified sells AP's with the SOTS flash tunes already on them. Since I already own an AP would I just be able to buy a flash tune off of them then DL to AP?
Yeah that's exactly how I do it.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah that's exactly how I do it.
cool, looks like thats the same route ill be taking then!, I see you have all COBB S3 bolts-ons too so that makes me feel better lol. I just need 1 step colder plugs and I think i'll be set.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I bought my AP from Mountune and you get 45 days custom tuning w/ Randy w/ purchase.. So far he's built my original tune and given me 1 revision in the ~3 weeks i've had it.. seems VERY reliable.. and learning so far what I have on here about logs and whats good and what's bad.. everything seems to be well in line of what's good... Randy says everything looks great.. I just sent in my 2nd set of logs the other day and i'm waiting to hear back and get my new revision...

FWIW I hear that Alex and the team @STRatified are great.. and very reputable.. I wanted to go w/ mountune ONLY for 2 reasons: 1. Randy and his rep. and 2. The fact that mountune has been tuning Ford engines since the 80's. 'Nuff said for me. :)
Thats exactly what I was looking for originally, im coming from JDM where all I had was Hondata and e-tunes, but it seems with this car a lot of people are very satisfied with their OTS maps, Which is surprising to me from my experience lol. I know the ECU is different etc, but no data logging or revisions?!?! so i had to ask above^ just due to the sheer number of people running OTS on here, either from COBB or Stratified.

and that sounds like an incredible deal! Ive read about mountune here and there on this forum. Mostly about their bolt on parts though, but ive definitely seen more reviews with Stratified which is why i was leaning towards them. You can't beat experience though, thats what I love with the AP....dont like one tune? you can do another relatively easily

·
Registered
917 Posts
cool, looks like thats the same route ill be taking then!, I see you have all COBB S3 bolts-ons too so that makes me feel better lol. I just need 1 step colder plugs and I think i'll be set.
I've been running Stratified flash tunes for quite awhile now and haven't had any issues. Even if you do they are great about taking care of their customers.

Reactions: Bluestbrah

·
Registered
344 Posts
I have been with stratified since my first mod and now I am big Turbo. Can't recommend them enough.

One bit of advice that I got told and seen it happen countless times is: Don't modify under warranty unless you can afford to rebuild. The same goes for taking a car to the track, don't take it to the track unless you can afford to write it off (you are uninsured on the track). I have seen a lamborghini get written off by an Evo and the lambo owner had no leg to stand on.

Remember that people have had unmodified engines go pop so please don't take this the wrong way, it's just that something as small as a LSPI incident could be the end and have nothing to do with mods.

As the saying goes 'you have to pay to play' and hopefully it's all good for you.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have been with stratified since my first mod and now I am big Turbo. Can't recommend them enough.

One bit of advice that I got told and seen it happen countless times is: Don't modify under warranty unless you can afford to rebuild. The same goes for taking a car to the track, don't take it to the track unless you can afford to write it off (you are uninsured on the track). I have seen a lamborghini get written off by an Evo and the lambo owner had no leg to stand on.

Remember that people have had unmodified engines go pop so please don't take this the wrong way, it's just that something as small as a LSPI incident could be the end and have nothing to do with mods.

As the saying goes 'you have to pay to play' and hopefully it's all good for you.
Thanks for the advice! yeah im familiar with the old saying lol fortunately for me I have a really cool dealer. Ive been going to them for 4 years now about twice a month with all kinds of company cars (we like Ford for some reason). My service guy told me to have fun with it, and if I tuned...that would be the only thing he would be concerned about and thats what im about to do hahaha.

He said if it goes down bring it in, and if they definitively say it was the tune then... "sorry Charlie" im SOL with the warranty.

I've come to terms with i may blow the engine or just get screwed over on the warranty for something stupid. (just cause he says one thing doesnt mean ill take his word for it right off the bat) I make a very good living doing what I do, and that gives me the luxury of being able to afford an entirely new engine..(dont get me wrong though, that almost 10k punch is going to hurt...me and the wife will be eating ramen for a few months lol)

so why am i tuning within warranty? because I dont get to drive my personal car every day, I have to take the company vehicle to and fro on a daily. I put all of 4000 miles a year on my personal cars. Im putting a lot on this one because i cant help but drive it when i get home..just cruisin lol. So i refuse to wait 5 years/65,000 miles to have fun with it!

·
Registered
7 Posts
I've been on the stage 3 ots tune basically since I got the car. A little over 3 years and 45k on the odometer. And I've never had any issues. But I would make sure you get a catch can. Especially tuned.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I've been on the stage 3 ots tune basically since I got the car. A little over 3 years and 45k on the odometer. And I've never had any issues. But I would make sure you get a catch can. Especially tuned.
Thanks man, what catch can are you running right now?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm running a the jlt catch can. I check it every oil change and there is a small amount of oil in it so it works

1 - 17 of 17 Posts