Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 148 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Ford Focus ST3
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
thinking one of the flanges got tweaked in the install and there HAS to be a leak - this exhaust sounds like there's NO exhaust?

surely this isn't normal - right?

·
Registered
406 Posts
Break in period, it'll get louder as you break it in

Reactions: Toadster

·
Registered
2016 Ford Focus ST3
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Welp, with this being said, just take the whole thing off except downpipe and roar in all the neighborhoods. :wink: No one will notice.
yeah, well this is the wife's DD - she wanted sporty - not headaches...

·
Registered
9,129 Posts
There's an option for that as well good sir!
You and you're wife should take the day offt, go out buy some https://www.summitracing.com/search...cm_mmc=ppc-google-_-search-_-brands-_-keyword uninstall the front buckets seats, back bench, uninstall the carpeting, and install the material. Reinstall everything and enjoy a quiet ride with no exaust. :saint:
It would be great time to spend with your best friend aaand get to know the car a little bit more.

Just an option :wink:

·
Registered
2016 Ford Focus ST3
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There's an option for that as well good sir!
You and you're wife should take the day offt, go out buy some https://www.summitracing.com/search...cm_mmc=ppc-google-_-search-_-brands-_-keyword uninstall the front buckets seats, back bench, uninstall the carpeting, and install the material. Reinstall everything and enjoy a quiet ride with no exaust. :saint:
It would be great time to spend with your best friend aaand get to know the car a little bit more.

Just an option :wink:
we've done dynamat before in our NC MX-5 worked wonders - but then again there was no drone...

I thought this was a minimal to no-drone exhaust?

·
Registered
2016 Ford Focus ST3
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Did you remove your hatch cover? If so put it back. There is a noticeable difference with and without it.

Sent from another garage.
nope everything is stock...

·
Registered
768 Posts
Yup...same here. Got my Cobb on two days ago. Much, much more drone than I expected. Sounds great otherwise, but was surprised by this. 70 mph in 6th gear, if you roll on the throttle or load it up any, it's pretty bad. Don't know that it's enough to make me ditch the exhaust, but way way more than I expected or would have hoped for. Is this a Cobb thing, or pretty typical of 3" exhaust? I almost went Magnaflow for the 2 1/2, but homework revealed zero performance difference between the two, and the Cobb is just so pretty...and I got it on sale.

·
Registered
2016 Ford Focus ST3
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yup...same here. Got my Cobb on two days ago. Much, much more drone than I expected. Sounds great otherwise, but was surprised by this. 70 mph in 6th gear, if you roll on the throttle or load it up any, it's pretty bad. Don't know that it's enough to make me ditch the exhaust, but way way more than I expected or would have hoped for. Is this a Cobb thing, or pretty typical of 3" exhaust? I almost went Magnaflow for the 2 1/2, but homework revealed zero performance difference between the two, and the Cobb is just so pretty...and I got it on sale.
Cobb and MBRP are pretty loud, drone to some ears. I am pretty sure any exhaust on these cars give any power gains without a DP.
wasn't done for power gains at all, just wanted to hear a little more of the exhaust... this is WAY too much noise... shakes the whole damn car... wtf?

·
Registered
133 Posts
It seems that all 3" exhausts have drone to some extent. I have a catless downpipe and also had the 70mph drone when you give the car some load (like going uphill on the highway). Ended up hacking off the axle back muffler on the FRPP exhaust I had lying around, welding a connector plate on it and bolting it onto the rear section. No more drone and the sound changed to a better tone as a bonus. I'm guessing that any quality axle back muffler should do the same. Going to an exhaust shop and having them do this will probably be the least expensive solution.

·
Registered
2016 Ford Focus ST3
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Could you possibly do a sound clip?
I could try, can't really catch drone on audio from what I've been able to tell... will be going to the muffler shop to do a test for leaks tomorrow though...

·
Registered
768 Posts
I'd think if you had a leak, you'd hear that. I don't think a leak would create drone. And with the quality of this system and the fit of those flanges, I'm thinking a leak at one of only three flanges is unlikely if they're tight.

·
Premium Member
1,152 Posts
yeah a leak isn't going to cause a drone.

·
Registered
2016 Ford Focus ST3
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'd think if you had a leak, you'd hear that. I don't think a leak would create drone. And with the quality of this system and the fit of those flanges, I'm thinking a leak at one of only three flanges is unlikely if they're tight.
you'd be surprised, we had a pinched flange on our MX-5 axleback and it sounded like a diesel truck... new flange and back to sporty sounds ;)

·
Registered
2016 Ford Focus ST3
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Anyone try a reducer? Muffler shop said they could try that at the last flange before the exhaust tips to reduce the noise a bit..

1 - 20 of 148 Posts