Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How are you guys mounting them and where? Ive seen several mounted on the left part of the radio is the generally the best spot? Also how are you guys routing the cable so that it stays out of the way? Right now im limited to a suction mount as I wasn't sure which would be the best way to mount it. Read alot of mixed reviews on the double sided tape mounts. Any help is appreciated thanks!

·
Registered
162 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,733 Posts
I agree with @JeffKill , he has the "Proclip" mount which I also used for my phone. They make the best mounts because they clip on around existing plastics and does permanently modify your car.

·
Premium Member
3,733 Posts
I was really hoping to avoid spending the money on that pillar mount style lol. But how are yall routing the cable? Just letting it dangle or what?
You can run it down the plastic pillar plastic/rubber. Also you can unclip the OBDII plug from the dash plastic and tie it off out of the way once the AP is plugged in.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I picked this up at Autozone for about $11 and it works perfectly. It's magnetic on the back and the AP sticks right onto it and never falls off. My phone even sticks to it if I don't have the AP on there.
The mount has sticky tape that attaches it to the car. It's been on there for about 2 months and never had issues with it falling.
Vehicle Car Personal luxury car Steering wheel Bmw
Vehicle Car Vehicle door Family car Automotive window part

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
here my recent install.

first, I used a heat gun to slightly curve the base of the mount then stuck it to the left side of the cluster
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Auto part Family car

then I used a heat gun to add just a little curve to the ball mount to get a little more angle on it
Auto part

Vehicle door Bumper Automotive exterior Auto part Tire

then I popped loose the ODB connector, plugged in the AP cable and then pushed the connector back up through the hole so the door would close
Auto part Vehicle Automotive tire

then I pulled the AP side of the cable through the opening for the steering shroud, I also wrapped part of the cable with cloth Tesa tape to make sure that the cable doesn't rattle on the plastics while driving.
Vehicle Car Steering part Auto part Steering wheel

then I coiled up the extra cable and tapped it up and tucked it behind the dash's end cap out of the way. I make sure to leave enough cable loose so I can pick up the AP and pull it to just in front of the steering wheel to easily change settings, I also wrapped some extra tape around the AP side of the cable where the tape stopped to make the cable have a thick spot so when its in its cradle i can push the extra cable back through the hole and its thick enough to wedge in there and not move until its pulled out again.
Auto part Gun

when cradled, the AP is at the perfect height to be able to see all the gauges with my hands on the wheel
Land vehicle Vehicle Motor vehicle Steering wheel Car

·
Registered
593 Posts
I picked this up at Autozone for about $11 and it works perfectly. It's magnetic on the back and the AP sticks right onto it and never falls off. My phone even sticks to it if I don't have the AP on there.
The mount has sticky tape that attaches it to the car. It's been on there for about 2 months and never had issues with it falling.
View attachment 267938 View attachment 267946
Wait, is the AP magnetic?

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,200 Posts
Wait, is the AP magnetic?
It's just like your cell phone, it'll stick to a strong enough mount. So yes, to answer your question.

I can stick it to my phone mount, but the magnet reacts oddly due to the fact the AP must have a very particular polarity.

I have to turn the mount a certain way or the AP will rotate slightly when I stick it to my mount.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all the ideas guys! For now Ive got it in a suction cup mount on the windshield and the cable routed under the weatherstrip on the body and the extra tucked away (still need to ziptie it all together) and so far I like! Ill keep the magnetic mounts in mind as well.

·
Registered
344 Posts
I currently have the suction cup holder on the windscreen and find it a pain in the ass to use. If it decides to fall for whatever reason and your car is locked it sets the alarm off.

I am now waiting on the gauge pod holder from COBB and am going to do a setup with a 52mm gauge pod, that way it can be held properly.

I will post up pics once I do the setup.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.