Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Am I crazy or do the prices on used accessports seem high to anyone else? I'm looking to purchase one and finally get a tune for my '16 ST2 and used AP's are still going for around $400-$450 with shipping.. Buy the time I purchase the AP get it shipped to me, pay $50 for a flash tune from a reputable tuner, I'm looking at $475-$500 for a USED AP and a tune... I feel like I'm better off buying a brand new one from Stratified for $500 that comes with a Tune. Am I missing something?

Reactions: W4R

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
In all fairness, its not like a wear item. Its not gonna be aged with rust or have half tread left. Its just software, and really, does it matter if software has been used before or not. lol

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
In all fairness, its not like a wear item. Its not gonna be aged with rust or have half tread left. Its just software, and really, does it matter if software has been used before or not. lol
Used electronics definitely matter to me. I have no idea how the previous owner treats their electronics. It just seems like buying used only saves a few bucks.. Why not buy new?

·
Premium Member
1,175 Posts
Bought my AP used for somewhere around the $350-$400 mark. Doesn't bother me, it works just fine. However I understand why people hesitate at buying used.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Agreed, used accessports should be going for $300-400 range imho. Makes me think of the GPS I bought used in like new condition still in box. It worked fine for two months then power point broke and can't be fixed. Used is "as is" buyer beware. Not saying I wouldn't purchase a used AP but it would have to make sense $ wise.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I paid $350 for mine from a local from the area ST Facebook page. Keep in mind that when you see the asking price, that doesn't mean it sold for that price...

·
Registered
28 Posts
Forgive me if I'm wrong, but you only have a couple times you can unmarry the AP right? So if you're selling the AP used, you had to unmarry it at least once, effectively cutting down the life of the AP.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Forgive me if I'm wrong, but you only have a couple times you can unmarry the AP right? So if you're selling the AP used, you had to unmarry it at least once, effectively cutting down the life of the AP.
Can you link to something that says it can only be uninstalled or unmarried X number of times to back this up? I searched and couldn't find anything...

Here is what I did find from Cobb:
An AccessPORT can be uninstalled from a vehicle by selecting the Uninstall option from the main menu of the AccessPORT. Once this process is complete, the AccessPORT can be installed on any other vehicle that particular part number supports

·
Registered
28 Posts
I did not find concrete evidence of a certain amount of times. I thought I saw a post on the facebook group stating you could not unmarry more than 5 times. The best bet would to contact Cobb themselves and see. I would imagine if there was a certain amount of times, it could always be sent back to them to reset it, but probably for a fee.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
I would buy one used if the price was low enough, but if the price is too high and by the time you pay for shipping and a new tune if it is close to the same price as a new one, then I would just get a new one. 400-450 would be too high used for me because of the other cost involved.

·
Registered
475 Posts
For that price I would just get a new one from Stratified. I don't really think $500 is bad being it's also a gauge cluster that lets you keep an eye on anything you choose, plus you get a usable tune.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Another thing to keep in mind is that after buying one, when the time perhaps comes for selling your car and de-modding in a few years, you'll be able to get $300-$400 for it. So even buying a new one isn't really all that terrible.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I agree with the OP, and was wondering if I was missing something. They go for $400 plus on here regularly, but on Craigslist they usually ask $300, which makes more sense to me.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Used electronics definitely matter to me. I have no idea how the previous owner treats their electronics. It just seems like buying used only saves a few bucks.. Why not buy new?
Just wait until November and pick one up from Stratified or whoever. Typically they run 10% off specials for black friday. so you'll pick up a new one with a tune for $450.

Reactions: W4R

·
Registered
114 Posts
I will part with mine after learning I have to buy a new one for the new car anyway. It has stage 2 and stage 3 stratified maps with no exhaust crackles and loud exhaust crackles, as well as a 1000 RPM idle (which was one of my favorite things as it eliminated the idle shake I had with the RMM). I ruined the cable though so it will need a new one of those as well. I will do $350 shipped.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I will part with mine after learning I have to buy a new one for the new car anyway. It has stage 2 and stage 3 stratified maps with no exhaust crackles and loud exhaust crackles, as well as a 1000 RPM idle (which was one of my favorite things as it eliminated the idle shake I had with the RMM). I ruined the cable though so it will need a new one of those as well. I will do $350 shipped.
So if your cable is ruined, how did you uninstall it from your car? And how will the new owner verify yours actually works without first investing in a new cable and hoping your AP works? Sounds like you should just get a new cable and sell it that way. If I were in the market, I'd pay a little more to get one that didn't have any potential issues. Anyway, that's my recommendation for when you try to sell it in THE MARKETPLACE "Parts for Sale" section. :)

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
Not sure if this applies to any of you but COBB offers a 15% discount to veterans. Drops the price to $425 shipped.
only problem with that is then your stuck with the Cobb canned tunes, I'd rather pay a little bit more and get a little better of a tune from somebody like Stratified. also so many options they offer that the canned Cobb tunes don't.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts