Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
That is a good question. I would also like to know.

·
Registered
381 Posts
It's most likely pulling from the oil life calculation Ford does behind the scenes. You can access that value from the "test mode" and see if they compare. As I no longer have an access port to test that someone else will have to come along and confirm that.

If it's the same as the Ford calculation, it starts it's count at 10k miles and goes down from there depending on use. If you are following the car's recommended oil change schedule then it should give you a good hint at when you might be needing an oil change before the car warns you.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,198 Posts
I've gone through them several times and never noticed that gauge. I guarantee you that it is using the Ford oil life monitor system. Therefore when it hits 20% or 10% or whatever remaining it will come on your dash. Cobb gets almost all it's data from the already present data hidden in your car. It can't just magically install a new system. So it is most likely accurate. Not that I would personally use it over the one built into the car, but if you wish it is there.

Edit: Damn, @Ayada beat me by a few seconds lol

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
FWIW I change my oil at 6K mile intervals, and the Oil Life Monitor usually says about 50% or so life left when I go to reset it after changing the oil.

My car is a daily; I have fun on highway entrance/exit ramps and some toll booth pulls. My understanding is the monitor calculation takes your driving style into consideration.

Hope that helps,
Mark

Reactions: brian60

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,198 Posts
FWIW I change my oil at 6K mile intervals, and the Oil Life Monitor usually says about 50% or so life left when I go to reset it after changing the oil.

My car is a daily; I have fun on highway entrance/exit ramps and some toll booth pulls. My understanding is the monitor calculation takes your driving style into consideration.

Hope that helps,
Mark
It does. Some have seen it come on at 7k with a lot of city driving and idling and others have seen it at like 9-10k

Like yourself, I do a ton of commuting so mine probably wouldn't turn on til around 10k if I let it get that far.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I just changed my oil. On the AP its said %91 left (I only have 1200 miles on the car, I was doing a "break in" change) after i reset the oil light on the OEM gauge cluster (holding the gas and break down on ACC start up) it reset on the AP. So im assuming they are directly tied together. After all the AP gets all of its info from the OBDII anyway.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts