Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have had the cobb ap on my ST with a stage 1 91 octane tune for a little while now. What are the effects the cobb ap has on the car mechanically and electronically? My ST is a daily driver and I don't want to keep the ap tune on my car if it will cause premature mechanical or electric damages that could have been avoided if on a stock tune. Considering selling ap, reasons to/not to sell?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,725 Posts
Have had the cobb ap on my ST with a stage 1 91 octane tune for a little while now. What are the effects the cobb ap has on the car mechanically and electronically? My ST is a daily driver and I don't want to keep the ap tune on my car if it will cause premature mechanical or electric damages that could have been avoided if on a stock tune. Considering selling ap, reasons to/not to sell?

Nothing to worry about with an OTS tune as they are pretty conservative, the only damage that can be done is by you.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nothing to worry about with an OTS tune as they are pretty conservative, the only damage that can be done is by you.
Thanks for the answer. Makes sense that the driver would be a problem in his own equation. Sometimes it's hard not to have a lead foot in this car!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Ticking time bomb, I'll give you $250.

I've had thoughts along the same lines myself and am planning on getting the AP and new FMIC this fall. Anything beyond that and I think I'll start looking into WMI as a form of insurance. This is my daily driver, but I tend to go all out when I get interested in something. I can see that happening with tuning/upgrading this car.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ticking time bomb, I'll give you $250.

I've had thoughts along the same lines myself and am planning on getting the AP and new FMIC this fall. Anything beyond that and I think I'll start looking into WMI as a form of insurance. This is my daily driver, but I tend to go all out when I get interested in something. I can see that happening with tuning/upgrading this car.
Yeah honestly Cobb AP just makes this car even more fun but I was just worried about long term effects. Looks like I'll be keeping it though because it's too damn fun to drive with. Not many people have had problems with OTS tunes so I'm willing to take a gamble.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Yeah honestly Cobb AP just makes this car even more fun but I was just worried about long term effects. Looks like I'll be keeping it though because it's too damn fun to drive with. Not many people have had problems with OTS tunes so I'm willing to take a gamble.

I ran OTS for over 20k on my car from stage 1-3. Have not had any issues. Just recently got a custom tune since I added WMI

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I ran OTS for over 20k on my car from stage 1-3. Have not had any issues. Just recently got a custom tune since I added WMI
Sounds good, especially since you went through all three stages. Gives me confidence. Thanks for the feedback!

·
Registered
150 Posts
Its fine, i tuned mine to 87 octane stage 1. But never use 87 or 89 on a tuned 91 octane, quick way to blow holes in a piston. I used stage 1 91 octane but now im using stage 1 87 octane. More low end, better economy and only gets 18lbs of boost vs 23lbs that i was getting. Anything over 20lbs of boost significantly decreases the life of a turbo. 18lbs is plenty, the car is fun as it is but definitely not made to be a 1/4 mile car, its front nose is a block. If i want a 0-60 quick car my money will be invested in something else. The ST/RS are rally cars that corner great, nothing more.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Its fine, i tuned mine to 87 octane stage 1. But never use 87 or 89 on a tuned 91 octane, quick way to blow holes in a piston. I used stage 1 91 octane but now im using stage 1 87 octane. More low end, better economy and only gets 18lbs of boost vs 23lbs that i was getting. Anything over 20lbs of boost significantly decreases the life of a turbo. 18lbs is plenty, the car is fun as it is but definitely not made to be a 1/4 mile car, its front nose is a block. If i want a 0-60 quick car my money will be invested in something else. The ST/RS are rally cars that corner great, nothing more.
RS makes pretty good gains though. :)

I also use the Cobb stage 1 87 and agree, it does the trick.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Make sure you're running the proper plugs and the car will be fine.

·
Registered
917 Posts
Anything over 20lbs of boost significantly decreases the life of a turbo.
I gotta disagree with this statement. The stock turbo on the ST is designed to boost over 20psi (when required) from the factory due to it's small size. I have a Stratified flash tune for 93 octane and see max boost around 23psi. Now anything much over that and you're asking for trouble. As for longevity, my ST has been tuned for most of it's life with over 85k on the clock now.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Problems with running 93 octane on a 91 tune? Taking a road trip vacation this summer and sometimes it is hard to find a gas station that has 91, so I would put 93 in it if I had to.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Problems with running 93 octane on a 91 tune? Taking a road trip vacation this summer and sometimes it is hard to find a gas station that has 91, so I would put 93 in it if I had to.

You would be fine with anything that has an octane rating higher than 91 in that case.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Anything over 20lbs of boost significantly decreases the life of a turbo.
I gotta disagree with this statement. The stock turbo on the ST is designed to boost over 20psi (when required) from the factory due to it's small size. I have a Stratified flash tune for 93 octane and see max boost around 23psi. Now anything much over that and you're asking for trouble. As for longevity, my ST has been tuned for most of it's life with over 85k on the clock now.
Doesnt matter, anything over 20lbs of boost does decrease its life span especially if you push it to the max. Had an 87 turbo coupe pushing its max at 30lbs of boost and lasted over 200k miles.
There are turbos designed to handle 100psi but unfortunately the st is not. 23lbs is its max. Just because it has not busted yet doesnt mean it wont, and it may not, it msy lasy 500k miles while **** joe over here blew his after 20k miles running everything stock.

·
Registered
830 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts