Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I just got my CNT cat back exhaust installed on my 2017 ST 1 (car has 660 miles on it). Just wanted to share my initial impressions, which I will update as needed as the exhaust breaks in.

First off, I am 41 years old. I am married, I have 2 kids (12 and 9). I work at a very large office complex in a professional setting. I live in a decent subdivision, my neighbors directly across the street and on either side of me are all older, retired couples. I value their friendship. The car I had prior to my ST was a Caliber SRT4, which sounded good enough to me that I left it bone stock for the entire time (nearly 9 years) that I had it. I tell you all of this to reassure you I was not looking for an exhaust to set off car alarms, wake the neighbors, or sound as though a turbo charged weed whacker was coming down the street. However, as we all know, this car is simply too damned quiet stock!

I am happy to say that the CNT exhaust, at least initially, sounds great and suits what I was after quite nicely. Hardly noticeable at all at idle. A nice, deep growl when pushed a little. And a good throaty sound when you are getting on it. Volume wise, it is probably louder than my stock CSRT4 was, but not by much. Appearance wise, it is not showy or cartoonishly large, but it has a look that I feel like suits the car fine. The guy who installed it is a big Chevy guy, but he was impressed with the ST and said he liked the exhaust note a lot. "Definitely not rice-sounding!" is what he said.

As for installation, as I mentioned, I had it installed by a buddy of mine, he indicated that there is indeed an unused hanger on the exhaust with my model year car and the exhaust bracket that I bought was not helpful/needed. He said the hanger is not in the way or going to hit anything under the car, so he left it on. In other words, no modifications nor additional parts were needed to make the exhaust fit on a 2017.

The CNT Racing exhaust is a full t304 stainless unit and came with all the necessary parts needed to install it. $375 shipped, ordered from their web site with no taxes or extra fees. So far I feel like this was a great choice for what I was after.

Anybody in or around Cincinnati / Northern KY who wants to hear it in person, let me know, I'm sure we could meet up!

Capture.JPG

·
Registered
3 Posts
So I just got my CNT cat back exhaust installed on my 2017 ST 1 (car has 660 miles on it). Just wanted to share my initial impressions, which I will update as needed as the exhaust breaks in.

First off, I am 41 years old. I am married, I have 2 kids (12 and 9). I work at a very large office complex in a professional setting. I live in a decent subdivision, my neighbors directly across the street and on either side of me are all older, retired couples. I value their friendship. The car I had prior to my ST was a Caliber SRT4, which sounded good enough to me that I left it bone stock for the entire time (nearly 9 years) that I had it. I tell you all of this to reassure you I was not looking for an exhaust to set off car alarms, wake the neighbors, or sound as though a turbo charged weed whacker was coming down the street. However, as we all know, this car is simply too damned quiet stock!

I am happy to say that the CNT exhaust, at least initially, sounds great and suits what I was after quite nicely. Hardly noticeable at all at idle. A nice, deep growl when pushed a little. And a good throaty sound when you are getting on it. Volume wise, it is probably louder than my stock CSRT4 was, but not by much. Appearance wise, it is not showy or cartoonishly large, but it has a look that I feel like suits the car fine. The guy who installed it is a big Chevy guy, but he was impressed with the ST and said he liked the exhaust note a lot. "Definitely not rice-sounding!" is what he said.

As for installation, as I mentioned, I had it installed by a buddy of mine, he indicated that there is indeed an unused hanger on the exhaust with my model year car and the exhaust bracket that I bought was not helpful/needed. He said the hanger is not in the way or going to hit anything under the car, so he left it on. In other words, no modifications nor additional parts were needed to make the exhaust fit on a 2017.

The CNT Racing exhaust is a full t304 stainless unit and came with all the necessary parts needed to install it. $375 shipped, ordered from their web site with no taxes or extra fees. So far I feel like this was a great choice for what I was after.

Anybody in or around Cincinnati / Northern KY who wants to hear it in person, let me know, I'm sure we could meet up!

View attachment 257681

Looks great. Does it void the warranty?? I was told I can only add ford approved parts to my ST2. I'd also like to add an exhaust.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Looks great. Does it void the warranty?? I was told I can only add ford approved parts to my ST2. I'd also like to add an exhaust.
Thanks!

For it to void the warranty, they would have to prove that the exhaust caused whatever is wrong with the car. I cannot imagine a scenario where a cat back exhaust would cause an issue. But they can't just void the warranty because of the mere presence of a non-Ford part.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Really thinking about this one. I just really dislike the dual tip exhaust look.

Sent from a new potato

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Really thinking about this one. I just really dislike the dual tip exhaust look.

Sent from a new potato
I know what you mean about the dual tips. But looks like the options are pretty limited if you try to go away from them. I really didn't dislike the stock appearance. I looked at the Buschur, I have to say, it looked a bit odd to me. But a nice horizontally oriented single oval would be cool.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
I know what you mean about the dual tips. But looks like the options are pretty limited if you try to go away from them. I really didn't dislike the stock appearance. I looked at the Buschur, I have to say, it looked a bit odd to me. But a nice horizontally oriented single oval would be cool.
I really like the Thermal tip, a lot, but it would be a lot easier to sell Wife on $375 rather than $600. Stupid saving for a new house.

Sent from a new potato

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I really like the Thermal tip, a lot, but it would be a lot easier to sell Wife on $375 rather than $600. Stupid saving for a new house.

Sent from a new potato
You might even come to love the dual tips...or at a minimum the sound they produce!

·
Registered
321 Posts
Great white up. I have the FRPP exhaust, and I had many of the same concerns as you. Though I will say that drone was my biggest worry.
Anyway, I think that at the price you paid, you could probably have a shop fabricate something that resembles the stock tips and still have a great deal...

CrashMW

·
Registered
9 Posts
Awesome to hear dude. Been looking at the cnt for awhile. How's it's do on the highway? Any drone or excessive volume while cruising? Definitely my biggest concern. My girl is super picky.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the replies, each of you. Agree on possibly getting something resembling stock or like a boxster oval fabricated for not too much $$.

As for highway cruising, I haven't done it yet and now I'm out of town until after this week, so I will get back to you on that! I will say that cruising on a back road at 45-50 it all but disappears.

·
Registered
2017 Ford Focus ST
712 Posts

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
this is looking more and more like the option I want to go with...

Edit: is this the correct part? it says it fits up to 2016 model year, but to my knowledge nothing has changed between 16' and 17' model years... and I want the V2 as it fixes the problem hitting the center cross brace.

CNT Racing catback exhaust for 2013 Ford Focus ST
Yep, it fits. There is an extra bracket that will be unused, but from what the guy who installed mine said, it did not need to be cut off or modified in any way.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hey Dan, just wanted to thank you for the video review of the CNT exhaust. Like you, I didn't want anything obnoxious or drone-y and the CNT seems to fit the bill. Just ordered mine today.

JD

·
Registered
23 Posts
Just had my CNT Racing catback installed yesterday and am happy to say there is absolutely no drone whatsoever, but when you put your foot in it a guttural sound comes from the pipe! I was worried I would want to delete the symposer, but there is no need. Can not hear it over the awesome noise coming from the back of the car now.

Good on ya CNT, that kit just flat out works

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Just had my CNT Racing catback installed yesterday and am happy to say there is absolutely no drone whatsoever, but when you put your foot in it a guttural sound comes from the pipe! I was worried I would want to delete the symposer, but there is no need. Can not hear it over the awesome noise coming from the back of the car now.

Good on ya CNT, that kit just flat out works
I've run mine for a few hundred miles now, I feel like the volume has, if anything, decreased. I'll be curious to hear if anybody else has the same/different experience.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts