Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently got a 2016 Focus ST with 5k miles. Upon driving it for a while I am getting clutch smell even when I am not getting on it. Is this normal at 5k miles. I don't believe the clutch was replaced by the previous owner, so I don't believe it is just breaking like a new clutch. Does anyone know of a solution or has had the same problem?

Sent from my SM-J327V using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,194 Posts
I recently got a 2016 Focus ST with 5k miles. Upon driving it for a while I am getting clutch smell even when I am not getting on it. Is this normal at 5k miles. I don't believe the clutch was replaced by the previous owner, so I don't believe it is just breaking like a new clutch. Does anyone know of a solution or has had the same problem?

I'll start by asking the obvious, you aren't riding it are you? And how positive are you that it is the clutch?

Any slipping at all? With only 5k miles I would guess that it would be difficult to detect any slipping...but if you're smelling clutch and you confirm that's what it is then it has to be slipping if you aren't improperly using it yourself. That isn't something that is covered under warranty technically, but with only 5k miles call your dealer and ask. IF you got it from a dealer. If not, call anyway and ask for advice, maybe they will cover it or check it out for free. How long have you driven stick?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'll start by asking the obvious, you aren't riding it are you? And how positive are you that it is the clutch?

Any slipping at all? With only 5k miles I would guess that it would be difficult to detect any slipping...but if you're smelling clutch and you confirm that's what it is then it has to be slipping if you aren't improperly using it yourself. That isn't something that is covered under warranty technically, but with only 5k miles call your dealer and ask. IF you got it from a dealer. If not, call anyway and ask for advice, maybe they will cover it or check it out for free. How long have you driven stick?
Not riding the clutch, previous car was a 2010 Fusion SE manual. It might not be the clutch, no slippage. The car was a rebuilt title so no warranty. It could be the previous owner wasn't using it correctly. Could it be that it had been sitting for such a long time while waiting in salvage yard?

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,194 Posts
Not riding the clutch, previous car was a 2010 Fusion SE manual. It might not be the clutch, no slippage. The car was a rebuilt title so no warranty. It could be the previous owner wasn't using it correctly. Could it be that it had been sitting for such a long time while waiting in salvage yard?

It could most certainly be related to the fact it's a salvage car. Have any mechanic friends who can help you diagnose it further? Could be a lot of things without actually getting in there to check.

Water damage clutch, ya get whatcha paid for...if a person is too broke to buy a proper car (not a salvage title one) then you can't afford the car period.
That's pretty harsh...I'd buy a salvage car for the right price. My best friend only buys salvage cars and rebuilds and runs them for years and years and even re-sells them. No issues ever that he's told me.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Water damage clutch, ya get whatcha paid for...if a person is too broke to buy a proper car (not a salvage title one) then you can't afford the car period.
Thats some flawless logic right there haha waj!.. Op sounds like its time to replace the clutch, the owner before you sounds like he/she didnt know how to drive it very well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,194 Posts
Regardless, the guy is asking for help on a topic that we can definitely help. Not just slander him down about it. If I bought a car heavily discounted salvaged and it had an issue that I wanted to fix I'd come here for help and expect help regardless of if it was wrecked. It was, so that is most likely a good reason why it has a problem, but that doesn't mean we don't help him.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,194 Posts
Since when is a valid opinion slander? bizzarro world comment right there...he can buy what he wants, I just get tired of hearing people complain about junk they buy online...save your money or don't buy junk, but pointing out its probably junk is being honest...I'm not a sycophant, I tell it like it is.
Dude come on lol saying stuff like "if a person is too broke to buy a proper car (not a salvage title one) then you can't afford the car period. " is definitely implying some slander at him. Let's get back on topic before a mod has to come delete half the thread.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,194 Posts
So now you want someone to clean up your criticism of me when I said the truth? lol. Bizarro world here today...typical forum bullies who can't stand someone else's truthful opinions. Sad.
Dude come on give it a rest and stop replying :lol: You could have worded it better or just scrolled past it instead of responding like 10 times. I give 0 craps less about the opinion and I'm not some kind of bully because of you demolishing the dudes request for help thread. I've never even seen you on here before and I see you're new here, apparently new to forums as well. It's best to just take your time to scroll past something instead of incessantly reply 10 times to get your point across. Only like 2 or 3 replies to this helps the guy fix his problem the rest is total gibberish

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,194 Posts

Water damage clutch, ya get whatcha paid for...
It could most certainly be related to the fact it's a salvage car. Have any mechanic friends who can help you diagnose it further? Could be a lot of things without actually getting in there to check.
Okay back on track, get someone to confirm it's the clutch for sure that you're smelling and then really there is only the option of potentially changing the clutch if it is that causing the issue. It could be plenty of things causing that. If you don't know of it having any form of slip and you are definitely not riding it then something is amuck inside.

·
Super Moderator
9,494 Posts
OK...enough name calling; all posts using derogatory language have been deleted, which I am not fond of doing. Lets keep it civil and give the O.P. some constructive suggestions; stay on topic, I don't have time to babysit this thread...I'm at work and need to get stuff done!

Reactions: oVrKiLL and brian60

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,194 Posts
Let us know what you hear! It could just be something simple causing the clutch to drag...but that will definitely deteriorate the clutch and probably has already started to. So I wouldn't expect it to last a full life

·
Administrator
11,813 Posts
I missed all the action. DdFred on it like a boss!

I am watching this thread and the parties involved though, so keep it clean, or I will sort it proper.

Reactions: brian60

·
Administrator
11,813 Posts
****! I was late for the name calling and cursing! Well, the mods know what to do if it still gets more and more out of hand... Legos or animal facts.
I really do like keeping things informational. Knowledge is in fact, power. ;)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts