Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2016 Focus ST is having clutch issues. It was slipping for a few weeks and finally sh** the bed a few days ago. Essentially was driving at highway speed while in 6th and the car was reving around 400 rpm, way higher than usual. As well the indicator was telling me to upshift to 6th. I go to down shift and my clutch pedal is on the floor. I am able to kick it back up down shift and cruise into my local Ford dealer which was on the way.

This was on Saturday on my way to work, ditched the car and found a ride. Now the lovely people there were only quick lane folks and they "don't do clutches", and I would have to wait till Monday for the service department. Fast forward to today, after calling a bunch i finally get someone to answer me and they haven't even made not of the car.... He didnt even know it was a manual. Anyways enough of my venting. I am frustrated with the dealer and would like to get everyone opinions.
1. Thoughts on what could be wrong? I think its just the clutch but i am no mechanic so I would love to hear your thoughts.
2. Should I leave it with the dealer to assess and repair? They said they "should" get it in tomorrow to look at.
3. My car is a shade under 60K mile, 59 and change to be exact, I don't really abuse it though do plan on adding power. Should I just go ahead and upgrade to a stage 2 clutch?
4. Anyone have a favorite clutch? Also, is a flywheel a necessary upgrade? Will a factory dealer even be able to do secondary market upgrades?

I appreciate your help. I'll try and upload a video of what was going on to if I can figure it out.

·
Banned
2016 Focus ST2
886 Posts
Same thing happened to me at around 80K. Slave cylinder went out and took the clutch with it. I have a ACT 6 Puck clutch with a light fly wheel. Its okay if you can live with the rattle at idle due ot lighter flywheel.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
I would get my car the f away from the stealership unless you're having warranty work done.
Find a reputable mechanic to diagnose your car.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Couldn't upload the video of mine but thats just about exactly what she was doing

·
Registered
640 Posts
Could also be a partially stuck slave cylinder. I’d assume if it is the clutch will have to be replaced to out of pocket cost because it is a normal wear item.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Same thing happened to me at around 80K. Slave cylinder went out and took the clutch with it. I have a ACT 6 Puck clutch with a light fly wheel. Its okay if you can live with the rattle at idle due ot lighter flywheel.
How bad is the rattle? Don't think I would mind it especially if its at idle. I just daily my car and drive a good 30mins to and from work ect. So wondering how it is.

·
Registered
640 Posts
I have a fx400 6 puck it sounds like a helicopter is in my transmission. But it’s completely normal. And if you’re in gear or if the clutch is depressed you work here it. But by far best money ever spent.

You may be able to hear it here

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Best money you've ever spent, thats what I like to hear, probably will go that route. How do you like the clutch masters? Ever used another brand? From what I'm seeing it looks like ACT, Clutch masters, or Spec.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Every car I’ve had sense I was a teen has always had a clutch master clutch installed. Only car that I didn’t do that with was my wife’s boss 302.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Only reason I stay true to them is because when I wore out a clutch pad I only paid 400 bucks for a new pad and pressure plate for a 1300 dollar twin disk.

·
Banned
2016 Focus ST2
886 Posts
How bad is the rattle? Don't think I would mind it especially if its at idle. I just daily my car and drive a good 30mins to and from work ect. So wondering how it is.
Well like Spool_Bus said its only noticeable when you are @ a traffic light windows down and listening to radio at lets say 12 volume. It goes away as soon as you step on your clutch.

It is supposed to do that due to lighter single mass flywheel. Also since its a 6 puck the clutch will release differently than stock. Chatter/noise is not a issue for me since I listen to music n the louder side.

Best money you've ever spent, thats what I like to hear, probably will go that route. How do you like the clutch masters? Ever used another brand? From what I'm seeing it looks like ACT, Clutch masters, or Spec.
I went with ACT since I read few things about clutch masters. ACT 6 puck is doing great the way it grabs through shifts is smooth!

Reactions: Noj99

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
@W4R and @Spool_Bus, When changing your clutch and flywheel did you need to get a new slave? Im pretty sure mine is shot but im curious as to which you used as I don't see variety on the secondary market, mainly just OEM.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Stage3 competition clutch ceramic.w light weight flywheel. For 763.
Very little chatter. Push in the clutch pedal and it will quiet down a bit.. cant find a clutch with flywhrel for under 1k. This is the best

·
Banned
2016 Focus ST2
886 Posts
@W4R and @Spool_Bus, When changing your clutch and flywheel did you need to get a new slave? Im pretty sure mine is shot but im curious as to which you used as I don't see variety on the secondary market, mainly just OEM.
Mine came with the kit.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I had had two people tell me if and when my clutch fails to replace it with the RS model. Said it slipped straight on.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

This is the one I ended up going with

1 - 18 of 18 Posts