Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I drive a 2017 st2. Past 2 days when I hit 4th 5th and 6th the rpm’s will go up normally, then fall back down (usually around 1k) then slowly creep back up. This is my first stick car so I’m not sure if this is clutch or not. Car has 47500 miles on it.
1-3 feel completely normal and there’s no smells/sounds that are out of the ordinary. Any ideas?

·
Super Moderator
2014 ST3. Garrett GTX2860R Gen 2. FBO
7,557 Posts
Mods?

Engine light/codes?

How much throttle does this issue happen under?

Is the cars speed correlating with the RPMs? As in, when the RPMs drop is the car slowing down?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mods?

Engine light/codes?

How much throttle does this issue happen under?

Is the cars speed correlating with the RPMs? As in, when the RPMs drop is the car slowing down?
only mod is cobb shift plate

No lights

about 30% or more is when it happens

and car doesn’t slow down, but acceleration is worse.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
could you explain that a bit more? So you're not pushing less on the accelerator but the speed falls? This isn't like up a hill or something right?
Rpm falls but speed still goes up, acceleration is just worse and it’s on flat ground. If I’m light on the gas it will climb normally but as soon as I give it more than about 30% gas rpm will go up and then fall. After it drops about 1k it will start to go back up again. Hopefully that’s a little clearer, sorry I wish I knew a better way to explain it.

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
How's your clutch pedal feel? Any softer than normal?
If you floor it around 3k RPM in 3rd, does it still have the condition?

·
Super Moderator
2,825 Posts
Rpm falls but speed still goes up, acceleration is just worse and it’s on flat ground. If I’m light on the gas it will climb normally but as soon as I give it more than about 30% gas rpm will go up and then fall. After it drops about 1k it will start to go back up again. Hopefully that’s a little clearer, sorry I wish I knew a better way to explain it.
Rpm’s fall but speed goes up, doesn’t make sense unless you’re rolling downhill.

because if RPMs are falling the car has to be slowing down, if the clutch is slipping the RPMs will go up and the speed will go down.

·
Super Moderator
7,557 Posts
Can you take a video of the issue and upload it to YouTube for us?

P.s. never get into boost bbelow 3,000 rpms with these engines. You will cause LSPi.

Reactions: Skykri

·
Super Moderator
7,557 Posts
Oh yeah. For sure clutch. Thanks for taking the video

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Now that that’s sorted, how much should I be expecting to pay? My first stick car so I’m not sure how best to navigate this.
How handy are you? Would you be doing it yourself of paying someone?

You'll be wanting to do clutch, flywheel, and slave cylinder. (Rs metal bodied upgrade while you're doing it. Actually cheaper than ST OE)
All the parts for mine were in the 450$ range but I did it myself and I know a guy at a Ford dealer.

Cost a friend of mine 1k$ here but Really depends on your location.

Reactions: junits15

·
Super Moderator
7,557 Posts

You'll be wanting to do clutch, flywheel, and slave cylinder. (Rs metal bodied upgrade while you're doing it. Actually cheaper than ST OE)
All the parts for mine were in the 450$ range but I did it myself and I know a guy at a Ford dealer.

Damn! I did mine myself 2 years ago and I paid that for the flywheel itself.

I had like 750 in parts IIRC.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Fairly handy but I’m in a new state at an apartment complex so I’m going to have to have someone else do it. Also working 6 days a week 10 a day so no time to do it myself anyways. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Damn! I did mine myself 2 years ago and I paid that for the flywheel itself.

I had like 750 in parts IIRC.
Knowing a guy has perks! 😉
He gets me STEEP discounts on stuff.

Reactions: TurboGT

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Fairly handy but I’m in a new state at an apartment complex so I’m going to have to have someone else do it. Also working 6 days a week 10 a day so no time to do it myself anyways. Thanks for the info.
What's your location? If you have some trustworthy ST guys near you they may be willing to help out for cheaper than a random shop. They may be more knowledgeable of the platform as well.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts