Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my clutch is almost blown. Its slipping in all the gears and I have almost 0 torque when moving. Its obviously time to change, so I called my mechanic and asked them for a quote. This attachment is what they sent me. Its 2469 in total. I asked them to replace the clutch fluid for me, change the flywheel and change the clutch. To my knowledge, that's going to be about 500-700 dollars max. The clutch itself as an OEM is only like 200 dollars, the flywheel I'm not so sure on, but it can't be more than 500. So my question is, does this price seem right? I assumed this job would be 1500 max. I just bought this Focus ST( 2014 with a stage 1 COBB) at 84k miles and expected to have to switch the clutch, but wasn't expecting a 2500 dollar expense. I havent gotten a quote from a dealer yet, so I'll update this when they get back to me.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
10,072 Posts
So my clutch is almost blown. Its slipping in all the gears and I have almost 0 torque when moving. Its obviously time to change, so I called my mechanic and asked them for a quote. This attachment is what they sent me. Its 2469 in total. I asked them to replace the clutch fluid for me, change the flywheel and change the clutch. To my knowledge, that's going to be about 500-700 dollars max. The clutch itself as an OEM is only like 200 dollars, the flywheel I'm not so sure on, but it can't be more than 500. So my question is, does this price seem right? I assumed this job would be 1500 max. I just bought this Focus ST( 2014 with a stage 1 COBB) at 84k miles and expected to have to switch the clutch, but wasn't expecting a 2500 dollar expense. I havent gotten a quote from a dealer yet, so I'll update this when they get back to me.
Unless you have experience pulling the transmission out of an ST, it's going to take a minute. I'm sure he is gauging the labor hours off of a time guide.

·
Registered
160 Posts
probably pays about 7 hours of labor around 100$ a hour... then you got shop fees, disposal fees, replace the dual mass flywheel. seems like a good price. It would probably be about 1500 or more where I work lol

are you not going to replace the slave while its apart?

·
Registered
2017 Focus ST3
382 Posts
If nothing else, I would check with a local dealership. I know they are high on somethings, but they could possibly be cheaper since they are familiar with getting the ST transmission dropped.

·
Registered
355 Posts
The last time I was in for an oil change at my Ford dealer I asked what their labor rate was. "$110.00 an hour" was the answer. 😲 I got an oil change and a brake system flush/bleed and it was 172 bucks. Those flat rate hours ($$) add up quick. Funny thing is, I was a factory VW mechanic back in the mid seventies when we charged $15.00 an hour labor, so I suffer from severe "sticker shock" when I have something done to my car. 😆

·
Super Moderator
2014 ST3. Garrett Powermax turbo, Thermal Turboback, CPE intercooler, JBR intake, Innovative RMM
4,582 Posts
Oem parts List price is over 1000 for clutch, flywheel, flywheel bolts, and slave. Remember that what you see it for online is not what you pay at the shop. If you buy online and supply your own parts there is zero warranty, so pick your poison.

The overall cost seems about right, minus the line item for "remove and install pilot bearing" which the MMT6 does not use.

I recall another member getting quoted 3,000 from the dealer.

Now would be the time to learn to do it yourself if you have considered it in the past. Theres a couple good youtube videos on it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everyone, I went with the dealer because they quoted me at 2442 for Tune Up, Slave, bolts, clutch and flywheel. So it was about 300 cheaper than what my usual mechanic quoted. Plus they gave a me a pretty nice loaner so I'm not forced to drive my old car which is a ticket waiting to happen.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts