Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i just recently purchased my first Ford vehicle on October 1st. I have always been a Chevy guy but I figured the ST's looked pretty cool. I have owned previous manual transmission vehicles. This model is a 2013 with 30,000 miles. So I parked my vehicle the other day in my garage and when I went out the next day to drive the vehicle I could not get it into reverse. It was as if there was something blocking the shifter from going into gear. I already let the car warm up to operating temperature so I live on an incline and I put the car into neutral and pushed it backwards. I drove to work (35 mile commute) and when I reached the parking lot I tried to back up. I still could not get into reverse. I did not want to force it so I just pulled in. Upon doing some research I found a thread that mentioned trying to get it into gear with the car off. It worked perfectly. So I set up an appointment on Wednesday to have the car looked at at the dealer. It really sucks because I have read so many horror stories of manual transmission warranty work. I just purchased this vehicle and I am very irritated that it is already acting up. I guess that is Ford quality. Again, I know how to drive a manual transmission and I have owned cars with manuals before. This is not user error. I have not dumped the clutch or anything. This just happened out of the blue. Any help or advice would be appreciated.

·
Administrator
12,715 Posts
So i just recently purchased my first Ford vehicle on October 1st. I have always been a Chevy guy but I figured the ST's looked pretty cool. I have owned previous manual transmission vehicles. This model is a 2013 with 30,000 miles. So I parked my vehicle the other day in my garage and when I went out the next day to drive the vehicle I could not get it into reverse. It was as if there was something blocking the shifter from going into gear. I already let the car warm up to operating temperature so I live on an incline and I put the car into neutral and pushed it backwards. I drove to work (35 mile commute) and when I reached the parking lot I tried to back up. I still could not get into reverse. I did not want to force it so I just pulled in. Upon doing some research I found a thread that mentioned trying to get it into gear with the car off. It worked perfectly. So I set up an appointment on Wednesday to have the car looked at at the dealer. It really sucks because I have read so many horror stories of manual transmission warranty work. I just purchased this vehicle and I am very irritated that it is already acting up. I guess that is Ford quality. Again, I know how to drive a manual transmission and I have owned cars with manuals before. This is not user error. I have not dumped the clutch or anything. This just happened out of the blue. Any help or advice would be appreciated.
There has been a history of foreign materials actually physically blocking the shifter on the transmission. Its easy to check out, and has been a problem for many members. Between odd ford parts, acorns, or even things that were dropped in the engine bay that cause a legit blockage of shift arm motion in a certain direction on the trans.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I read about this before. If the shifter does go into reverse with the vehicle off perfectly fine though, wouldn't this point to something like a slave cylinder? Also the shifts going into other gears has gotten harder. It's kind of like if you were shifting the transmission without using the clutch.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Ford doesn't make the transmission, Getrag does. The same manufacture that makes the transmission for the Mustang.

Luckily, these transmissions are not serviceable. So if they do find a fault that is not external, you get a new transmission.

I have a 2016 that doesn't like to go in reverse intermittently, but it is usually when it is super cold. I can pump the clutch 5-10 times and I can eventually shove it in. It'll usually be fine after that.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well seeing as this forum has a dedicated stickie for clutch issues this does not make me feel great about these transmissions. Thank you for the response. That does make me feel a little better

·
Registered
420 Posts
Well seeing as this forum has a dedicated stickie for clutch issues this does not make me feel great about these transmissions. Thank you for the response. That does make me feel a little better
Well don't forget to keep things in perspective. There are what, hundreds of thousands of these vehicles out of the road? Even if 3000 people have issues, it's a drop in the bucket in the whole scope of life. 90% of this forum is when people need information and when something is broken. 10% when things go right or are showing their stuff. So it is easy to pulled into the negatives of this car.

I am not saying you don't have an issue, just keep in mind that this place is a catch all for broken which makes things look worse than they really are.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Tpiechow,
You're absolutely correct on that statement. I'm currently searching for a new guitar amp and it is the same things. Thousands of units have been sold but only a few people come to leave a comment and normally the ones that are reviewing are saying something because they want to let everyone know how bad their experience is and now how good it is. I will stay optimistic and hope that Ford will work with me and correct the problem diligently. Thank you for the input.

·
Premium Member
2,506 Posts
Tpiechow,
You're absolutely correct on that statement. I'm currently searching for a new guitar amp and it is the same things. Thousands of units have been sold but only a few people come to leave a comment and normally the ones that are reviewing are saying something because they want to let everyone know how bad their experience is and now how good it is. I will stay optimistic and hope that Ford will work with me and correct the problem diligently. Thank you for the input.
What kind of guitar amp are you looking for? I'm sort of an expert, but mostly with high end gear.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Cool man. Not high end for me yet. I just ordered a ht40 combo from black star. I was eyeing the new tubemeister 40 deluxe but decided the ht40 was more in my price range and could help me start to develop tone.

·
Super Moderator
10,098 Posts
A 2013 with 30,000 miles is pretty low mileage, but you never know how the previous owner drove the car. Could have beat on it and traded it in when the trans started to act up. Sounds like a new trans is in your future though.

·
Premium Member
2,506 Posts
Cool man. Not high end for me yet. I just ordered a ht40 combo from black star. I was eyeing the new tubemeister 40 deluxe but decided the ht40 was more in my price range and could help me start to develop tone.
When our Marshall/Vox/Korg rep brought us Blackstar amps when they came out I was impressed by their lineup at the price point, spent a couple hours playing with em. Have fun with that!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks I can't wait for the blackstar to get here. Is there a certain Ford rep on the forum I can contact about the vehicle's problems?

·
Registered
420 Posts
They are on here, I think they are @FordService. But the phone number for the CRC (customer relationship center) is in your Owner's Guide and you can google it. That's the point of contact for documenting customer concerns.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So I dropped the car off an hour or so ago. Waiting on the call back. The one thing that bothers me is they said there is a chance I have to pay a 130 dollar diagnosis fee. I thought warranty covered that

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
They are on here, I think they are @FordService...
Hey Tpiechow,

Thanks for the mention, and have a great day! :)

So I dropped the car off an hour or so ago. Waiting on the call back...
Welcome to the community, jacobsoup! :welcome:

We've received your PM. Please check your inbox when you get a chance.

We will be here if you need anything else!

Tricia

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So I got a call back at 2:00 stating that they have not got it into the shop and will not be able to until tomorrow. So much for an appointment....Guess I will have to bum rides until I get a response. They have a rental program but that is $30 a day and I'm also paying a car note and other bills. Kind of puts you in a hard place.

·
Registered
420 Posts
So I got a call back at 2:00 stating that they have not got it into the shop and will not be able to until tomorrow. So much for an appointment....Guess I will have to bum rides until I get a response. They have a rental program but that is $30 a day and I'm also paying a car note and other bills. Kind of puts you in a hard place.
That's what calling the CRC can help with, rentals. They can help with partial rentals, full rentals, or maybe they can't help at all. They can evaluate their situation once you call. Or work with whatever Ford Service PM'd you.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Ya they told me that Ford does not do rentals. I was told that by the Ford dealership and the rep that contacted me.
Well that's technically correct I guess. The dealer provides the rental and the Ford CRC reimburses the dealer. Unless something has changed in the last couple of months.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well here is an update. I dropped the car off Wednesday at 10:00 am to get it diagnosed. I had an appointment set up. I told them there were a few issues. My transmission problem being the most concerning, then intermittently the screen at the center of the dash would not turn on, I have an idle dip in stop and go traffic, and my GPS does not always connect properly. I called at the end of the day and they told me their two transmission techs were busy and did not have a chance to look at it because they had walk in jobs that were taking too long. So the next day I call in at noon and ask what the progress was. They told me it was not in the shop yet. I ask why I even set up an appointment. Anyways they call back 45 mins later and say that they pulled it in and would let me know. They call me at 2 and tell me they have great news. The instrument cluster is covered under warranty. They were going to fix it. I call at 5 and ask for a report. They say they are still fixing the instrument cluster. I guess the tech is not making much money because a .40 hour job takes 3 hours to do. I ask for info on the trans which is my main concern. They told me they were going to look at the GPS first thing in the morning. I show up at 830 to check on things. The car is sitting in the parking lot. I ask my service adviser how the progress is going. She says she will have to get an update from the transmission tech. There is a different tech working on the car. The trans tech doesn't mess with the instrument cluster. Anyways I talk to the service manager about the car and he tells me he will get the trans tech on it. He calls me back less than an hour later and says that the tech has deemed that it is going to be the clutch which is wear item and will cost money to fix. He tells me they will have to tear it down to know for sure. So just as I thought, my worst fear is almost confirmed. What do I do?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts