Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, some months back I removed the spring assembly from my clutch and have been driving around like this for awhile now. I love the feel of the clutch with this small MOD, however, the sagging of the pedal has been driving me crazy and I want to put my spring back in. However, when I removed the spring I damaged part of the perch. Does anyone here know where I can replace just the perch. Ford says I have to purchase a whole new clutch pedal assembly just to get that one piece. Any help would be great!

·
Registered
2014 Ford Focus ST3
229 Posts
http://www.focusst.org/forum/focus-st-discussions/37372-does-focus-st-have-assistance-clutch-spring-68.html

Post 673. It’s for the Focus RS but I ordered it after I broke mine. I ordered it from my Ford dealer.

I’ve read very positive reviews on this replacement spring too

https://www.steeda.com/Steeda-Focus-Clutch-Spring-Assist-555-7028?gclid=Cj0KCQjw4eXPBRCtARIsADvOjY0lcmDYvhtmp0x LOePYg-edM-vOjVBBxp2TA8t7HUKc9UFynqrk1HEaAjP1EALw_wcB

You can’t just order the Steeda, it’s the spring only. But since you’re installing might as well upgrade the spring while you’re at it.

Install video:

Reactions: luichar

·
Registered
393 Posts
I have the steeda spring after going spring less for a few weeks. It's a nice middle ground between the stock crap feel and stiffer springless feel

·
Registered
407 Posts
Just ANOTHER word of caution for anyone replacing this spring. I've read by many many many many people to be careful with this part as it's extremely easy to break. Most people seemed to be breaking it while trying to separate the 2 pieces once removed from the car.

Well I decided to just buy the Steeda spring and not the whole perch assembly and just be very careful taking it apart. I'm a handy person and can be steady and careful with my hands so I figured I could do it no problem. Well sure enough, I broke it haha. I think I would have been fine if I would have gotten it out of the car fine but somehow I broke it just removing it from the car!!! I did it like every video I watched but as soon as I pushed up on the bottom of the perch the spring twisted it to the side a little and *SNAP* before I even had it removed. It's extremely brittle plastic, not flexible at all. I'm sure it can take a fare amount of axial force but any radial force (like I accidentally gave it) it broke immediately.
So I have it back in the vehicle broken and it's definitely not ideal but at least it's keeping the bearing off the clutch diaphragm spring. And I have 2, yes 2, OEM replacements on the way that I ordered off Tasca, $21/pc, so hopefully I can successfully replace 1 of those 2 with the steeda spring haha.

BE CAREFUL if you do this, I don't know how much I can stress this. For those of you who did it and didn't break anything and say, "oh it's easy Idk how you could break it", well, you got lucky. I was being careful and know I'm capable of something like this but still broke it. Oh well, at least replacements are cheap.

Reactions: Toneloc427

·
Premium Member
805 Posts
Installed the Steeda clutch assist spring with perch assembly today. I'm not experienced with auto mechanics and such. The most accomplished I am when it comes to auto-repair/mechanics is I did the front brake pads once along with tons of oil changes. It took me about 20 minutes to remove the original and replace the new. I eventually had to fully press down on the clutch to get the assembly in properly.

I really like it....makes it an entirely new clutch!! The clutch is now very predictable and easy to drive. Great job Steeda!!

·
Registered
126 Posts
2013 Stock Spring for the clutch.... versus the Steeda Spring

Steeda Clutch Spring.jpg

Just swapped the spring out. I followed Steeda's instructions to the "T"... I used an ankle sock as padding between my meat hands, and the bottom perch tangs, with the original spring in a vise. Pulled up smooth and steady and controlled (made sure the vice was gripped on the spring, NOT the top of the plastic perch assy)... Cannot Jerk it. Also - my perch assy was greased at the time of install by ford, so pulling the two plastic sections apart was not as bad. For reference, if you do not have any grease on there, between the two plastic sections when you remove the original... I would think you could really compress the original spring (once removed) and put some grease in there, and work it in - PRIOR to separating the two plastic pieces...

And then re-grease prior to assembly, and re-install.

Really like the new set up (being a previous Audi s4/VW GTI owner)... more Bavarian feel...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts