Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,
Had a leaky clutch master cylinder and car is out of warranty. Replaced the clutch master myself with the help of my father (retired ase Toyota master). Job wasn't too difficult but after bleeding the clutch and starting the car for the first time it displayed engine fault. Car won't start unless clutch and break are depressed. No obd2 codes just engine fault. Took car to Ford for diagnosis as their ids system is needed to read the fault. Tech claimed clutch master position sensor is causing fault. They quoted me 600 and change to replace clutch master assembly as they cant order the position sensor by itself. I explained the master cylinder had already been replaced and that the sensor wasn't damaged. When I first got the fault we double checked all electrical connections and that the sensor had been installed correctly. I asked if it may just be a calibration procedure and the tech claimed there wouldn't be any calibration needed if the sensor was replaced. Not sure if I'm just dealing with an inexperienced tech. Has anyone run into this (maybe a Ford tech on this forum). I'd be happy to replace the sensor myself if I could get a part number from Ford. By the way, what a cheap ****ty plastic master, only lasted 40k.

·
Registered
9,129 Posts
Sorry to hear about this issue, I do hope you can get it repaired without shelling out a insane amount of money. 600? Damn...
I've gone through many, many ford mechanics that didn't know what they were talking about....Where does Ford get these guys, A cracker jack box? Probably where they got their cirts too.

·
Administrator
11,908 Posts
Hey all,
Had a leaky clutch master cylinder and car is out of warranty. Replaced the clutch master myself with the help of my father (retired ase Toyota master). Job wasn't too difficult but after bleeding the clutch and starting the car for the first time it displayed engine fault. Car won't start unless clutch and break are depressed. No obd2 codes just engine fault. Took car to Ford for diagnosis as their ids system is needed to read the fault. Tech claimed clutch master position sensor is causing fault. They quoted me 600 and change to replace clutch master assembly as they cant order the position sensor by itself. I explained the master cylinder had already been replaced and that the sensor wasn't damaged. When I first got the fault we double checked all electrical connections and that the sensor had been installed correctly. I asked if it may just be a calibration procedure and the tech claimed there wouldn't be any calibration needed if the sensor was replaced. Not sure if I'm just dealing with an inexperienced tech. Has anyone run into this (maybe a Ford tech on this forum). I'd be happy to replace the sensor myself if I could get a part number from Ford. By the way, what a cheap ****ty plastic master, only lasted 40k.
I'd remove the electrical connector from the sensor, and re install it. I have had that connector get kicked, and it caused it to half seat. Giving the same code you have. I just reached under there, and re-clicked it. For the 3 min its going to take to do, I suggest you try it first, just in case luck is on your side.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Tried reseating connections. The one that's throwing the code isn't under the dash but ive checked those two. I was hoping to get lucky. The sensor that's giving me the issue is the one in the engine compartment mounted directly to the outside of the master.

·
Administrator
11,908 Posts
Tried reseating connections. The one that's throwing the code isn't under the dash but ive checked those two. I was hoping to get lucky. The sensor that's giving me the issue is the one in the engine compartment mounted directly to the outside of the master.
Oh, and did you get the whole clutch master and pedal assembly from the stealership or what? Do you have the part number kicking around?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Sorry. Accidentally hit enter. Lol. I just wanted to know if you ever got it figured out without having to replace the entire assembly just for the sensor(since it's not sold separately)? There's nothing wrong with the car, but the engine fault light comes on.

·
Registered
2016 Focus ST2
786 Posts
Still cant figure this one out? Where is this sensor outside the car? Where on the master cylinder?

·
Registered
2013 Ford Focus ST1
1,665 Posts
I had a local shop replace my clutch master at around 90k miles (along with new clutch, flywheel, slave cylinder/release bearing), as part of a general "forget it for life" policy of mine LOL. They did a good job except that they missed clipping on one of the two clutch pedal sensors (the one that senses pedal up I believe). This has left me with no issues except that both brake and clutch now need to be pressed to start the car AND the starter button has to be kept depressed until the engine fires (previously you could push the button and the management system would figure out when to stop the starter motor by itself). Minor annoyances, but I have decided to let it be as is, because it appears to be IMPOSSIBLE to get that sensor clipped back into position with the pedal assembly installed. I have no engine light on, although I expect there is a stored code relating to the clutch sensor giving non logical readings (it is still plugged into the harness).
On a related note, I ended up ordering the clutch master for the regular Focus, which DOES fit and work fine - also this clutch pedal does NOT have the helper spring that the ST pedal has, so it is a little heavier to operate, but gives a much more natural feel and consistent biting point.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts