Ford Focus ST Forum banner

701 - 720 of 737 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,078 Posts
Received the car back today about 3.5 weeks after dropping it off.

They replaced the:

Flywheel
Clutch Assembly
Throwout bearing
Front Axel

Drove the car to work today and it felt a lot better with no problems getting into gear.
They replaced an axle...interesting lol

·
Registered
7 Posts
I feel I may be adding myself to this sad list as well. Was auto crossing last weekend and during one of my runs I felt the clutch slip at WOT in 3rd. Thought it was my traction control at first. However, on the drive home from the event i felt it slip on the highway in 6th at 75% throttle. Car is a 2017 with only 3k miles. Hasn't done it since and haven't taken it to the dealer yet. Ill keep everyone posted on the outcome. Car also had a leaking brake master cylinder replaced under warranty at 1.7k miles. Im starting to get that cursed car feeling.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello, I'm new here.

I bought a 17 Focus ST about a month ago. It has about 1.1k on it. I have noticed that the clutch has been starting to get softer. It used to bite quickly but now there seems to be more play in it. I figured that this was just part of being broken in, but I am concerned that its breaking out. I seen this thread and it does seem to be an issue. Should I have the dealership check it to see if it is going bad or am I just being too concerned cause the rest of the car seems fine.

Thanks,
Faceindisguise

·
Registered
169 Posts
2016 FoST1 aprox. 81.5k

Started the car and pedal stayed to floor. Called my buddy at the dealership. Towed in by Ford roadside assistance. Slave cylinder leaked. New clutch, slave cylinder, and flywheel under warranty.

·
Registered
13 Posts
14,128 miles and the dealer said my clutch is toast! He said normally warranty would cover it but Im literally 2mos out of the 12 month clutch warranty... Isnt that awesome? I baby this car. Almost all of my miles are highway miles as I drive 120 miles roundtrip twice a weekend to pick up my son and drop him off. I dont speed, dont race and dont do hard pulls off the line at the light. Yay me!

Hes saying the clutch, cylinder and flywheel need to be changed. $470.10 on parts plus labor. I got a deal on the parts from a friend at Ford.

·
Registered
13 Posts
2016 FoST1 aprox. 81.5k

Started the car and pedal stayed to floor. Called my buddy at the dealership. Towed in by Ford roadside assistance. Slave cylinder leaked. New clutch, slave cylinder, and flywheel under warranty.
wait, you drove 81,000 miles in one year?

·
Registered
13 Posts
I ****ING WIN! 14,128 miles and the dealer said my clutch is toast! He said normally warranty would cover it but Im literally 2mos out of the 12 month/ 18,000 mile clutch warranty... Isnt that awesome? I baby this car. Almost all of my miles are highway miles as I drive 120 miles roundtrip twice a weekend to pick up my son and drop him off. I dont speed, dont race and dont do hard pulls off the line at the light. Yay me!

Hes saying the clutch, cylinder and flywheel need to be changed. $470.10 on parts plus labor. I got a deal on the parts from a friend at Ford.
I reached out to Ford directly to see if they would be willing to help and this is the response that I got:

Thank you for contacting the Ford Customer Relationship Center regarding your recent vehicle concern.
We have thoroughly reviewed your request and after careful consideration we regret that Ford is not able to provide financial assistance to address your issue.

We are sorry that we were not able to meet your expectations at this time and recommend you continue to work with your Ford dealership to provide the best service for your vehicle in the future.

Thank you again for contacting Ford.

The Ford Customer Relationship Center
Ford Motor Company"

Anyone know the best way to proceed from here? Has anyone found luck or a way to push it up a level and make them pay?

·
Registered
574 Posts
I reached out to Ford directly to see if they would be willing to help and this is the response that I got:

Thank you for contacting the Ford Customer Relationship Center regarding your recent vehicle concern.
We have thoroughly reviewed your request and after careful consideration we regret that Ford is not able to provide financial assistance to address your issue.

We are sorry that we were not able to meet your expectations at this time and recommend you continue to work with your Ford dealership to provide the best service for your vehicle in the future.

Thank you again for contacting Ford.

The Ford Customer Relationship Center
Ford Motor Company"

Anyone know the best way to proceed from here? Has anyone found luck or a way to push it up a level and make them pay?
Its called step up to the plate and pay for it like everyone else ,the clutch is not a warranty item , read the warranty

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Its called step up to the plate and pay for it like everyone else ,the clutch is not a warranty item , read the warranty

Just out of curiosity, what is everyone doing to rectify this issue. Replace the clutch, flywheel, & slave cylinder with OEM parts and hope it doesn't happen again. Or would replacing the clutch with something a little more beefy, ACT street, along with OEM flywheel and slave cylinder be a better solution. Even if I don't plan on adding more power, ever. Just trying to plan ahead when my clutch craps out. Already slipped twice at 2k miles :/

·
Registered
574 Posts
Just out of curiosity, what is everyone doing to rectify this issue. Replace the clutch, flywheel, & slave cylinder with OEM parts and hope it doesn't happen again. Or would replacing the clutch with something a little more beefy, ACT street, along with OEM flywheel and slave cylinder be a better solution. Even if I don't plan on adding more power, ever. Just trying to plan ahead when my clutch craps out. Already slipped twice at 2k miles :/
I would do like a Spec clutch stage 1 or 2 clutch , resurface the flywheel , replace the slave clynder, make sure they replace the throw out bearing

·
Registered
13 Posts

Actually genius its called be smart and do some research and see if anyone had luck approaching Ford in a different manner. If this is a widespread issue it may be cause for a second class action lawsuit for transmission and clutch related issues in this model car. The fiesta and the focus have already had one class action suit for the model years before ours. A car with 14,000 miles shouldnt have a failed clutch, no matter how I drive.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Actually genius its called be smart and do some research and see if anyone had luck approaching Ford in a different manner. If this is a widespread issue it may be cause for a second class action lawsuit for transmission and clutch related issues in this model car. The fiesta and the focus have already had one class action suit for the model years before ours. A car with 14,000 miles shouldnt have a failed clutch, no matter how I drive.
if that's the case and you can prove that it was a mechanical failure contact the BAR that's what they are there for.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Yeah yesterday at 3000 miles my clutch all of a sudden got kinda spongy, it was also wet outside just fwi... I've only had the car for around 25 days.. I bought it brand new( I know I drive alot). So today I took it to the stealership... Low-key I won't lie I do drive it hard periodically but not to the extent to burn the clutch... Actually I've never smelt burning clutch in the car nor have I dropped the clutch. Also I noticed that at least every once in a while after shifting the rpms will stay at whatever rpm I disengaged the clutch at, until I finally engage the clutch, then the rpms will drop very fasy. So yeah let's hope it's a master cylinder or something that's not my clutch. Because honestly I don't feel like paying 1800 for a new clutch... For an 18 Y/O working two jobs a new clutch would honestly make me poor again

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
Just hit 2k miles on my 2017 and I started hearing a noise coming from the driver side wheel well, took it to the dealership and they said it probably has something to do with either two bearings? Pilot and something else cant exactly remember, I'm taking it in on Monday to drop it off. They said it was probably something clutch related, I noticed the clutch starting to feel pretty spongy and it slipped once or twice (could have also been me) but now I'm a little worried it could be more like everyone else has posted. Slave cylinder, flywheel, etc..... hopefully I'm not out of a car for a month lol......will post with updates

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hopefully this is considered contributing valuable info and not resurrecting a dead thread, but my '18 OW ST1 is currently in the shop after the slave cyl failed inside the bellhousing. ~3500 miles.

Brief background/sypmtoms: Drove it home fine after work one day, the next day when I got in it to run a quick errand, the clutch went right to the floor. tried pulling it up/pushing it down a few times to pump it, but no dice. Had it towed to the dealership, where it has been for nearly a week now. They say it should be fixed tomorrow or the next day.

I don't have enough time to read all 72 pages at work, but I wanted to reply before I left for the day and forgot. Since this is apparently still somewhat of an issue, can anyone who has had the repair done confirm that the fix is (at least relatively) permanent? My apologies if that answer is somewhere in the 72 pages. I'll keep reading through them when I get home.

Cheers!

·
Registered
503 Posts
Hopefully this is considered contributing valuable info and not resurrecting a dead thread, but my '18 OW ST1 is currently in the shop after the slave cyl failed inside the bellhousing. ~3500 miles.

Brief background/sypmtoms: Drove it home fine after work one day, the next day when I got in it to run a quick errand, the clutch went right to the floor. tried pulling it up/pushing it down a few times to pump it, but no dice. Had it towed to the dealership, where it has been for nearly a week now. They say it should be fixed tomorrow or the next day.

I don't have enough time to read all 72 pages at work, but I wanted to reply before I left for the day and forgot. Since this is apparently still somewhat of an issue, can anyone who has had the repair done confirm that the fix is (at least relatively) permanent? My apologies if that answer is somewhere in the 72 pages. I'll keep reading through them when I get home.

Cheers!
Covered, or are you paying the dealership?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi everyone.

I am a new ST owner and have stumbled upon this forum with a rather unpleasant issue some of the earlier posters have had as well after going through page 1-20 of this thread.

Keep in mind I'm an American living in Australia, so my ST may be slightly different.

Mines was a brand new 2018 Focus ST2 (only version available in Australia as far as I can tell). Built in December 2017 or January 2018--sorry, can't really remember the exact date.

Got my car last March, so been driving it for ~7 months with ~4000 km in, which equates to ~2500 miles.

As you can tell, I've driven it very lightly, with a few joy rides on a bendy road--definitely less than 10 times, probably more like around 5 times. Never took it out to the track.

I have never had any issues with the car until the clutch suddenly got stuck to the floor when going from 1st to 2nd gear. I was able to manually lift it back up with my foot, but I immediately parked my car. Then I realized the clutch simply would not engage into any gears.

Ended up getting it towed to the dealership, who told me it's most likely a mechanical issue which would be covered under warranty.

After initial inspection, they told me it seemed like the slave cylinder was problematic which would require replacing the whole clutch unit because they come in 1 unit. I was told this would be under warranty.

Yesterday I got a another call from them, saying they opened up the gearbox and sent some pics to Ford. Based on some hotspots on the flywheel, Ford has deemed this wear and tear due to user driving habits and decided this would be not covered under warranty.

I was quoted $4200 for this. This is probably inflated compared to the quotes other posters have been getting because I'm in Australia. I've asked them to put a hold on the repair until I get in touch with Ford myself.

As this is my very first Ford car (although I lived 10 years in Michigan near Detroit), and I absolutely loved driving it until now, I am frankly cut.

I'm not a car buff, so I've been doing a lot of research trying to understand what may or may not be due to my "driving habits," but given my car's only got ~2500 miles in over a 7 month period, I am leaning towards complete BS.

I will continue to read through the rest of the thread, and update as I gather more information.

I am planning on getting a written diagnostic report, as well as all the pictures my dealer has sent to Ford and possibly get a second opinion from an independent engineer.

701 - 720 of 737 Posts