Ford Focus ST Forum banner

681 - 700 of 737 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,450 Posts
Today after a long day driving in heat and traffic, with AC. I experienced clutch slippage that seemed fairly severe. It was not solidly engaging, but prior to this zero signs of slippage, just all the suddent not good. . No smell,

This a normal way to see it go?

Could the heat have caused an issue that may resolve in cooler temp?
Well, im kinda in the same boat. Im on a spec 2+ and lwfw though. Im getting intermittent slippage under max boost. Still rips the tires loose, but on some highway pulls it slips.

Your clutch is having issues. Premature clutch failure could be fluid contamination, or excessive wear/faulty parts.

First step is checking the bellhousing weephole. If you see fluid there, either brake or oil, then you know its either the slave or rear main seal.

If its dry, then your mods/driving habits will be in question. Just SOP.

If you are relativly stock, no track or drag, i hope ford replaces the faulty parts. If not, then i suggest not looking at spec clutches, lol.

·
Super Moderator
7,450 Posts
Where exactly is the weephole? Can I see just by looking or need I remove things
You have to pull the bellypan. Which is not a big deal.

The weephole is at the bottom of the bell housing, lowest point where the trans meets the engine. Its a small rectangle of sorts, about 3/4 of an inch long.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Transmission 4 week Fiasco

So I just got back my Focus today after a long 4 weeks! I took it in because one day out of the blue, shifting into all forward gears was more of a challenge than normal and wasn't smooth like I'm used to. I get to work and realize I can't even get it to go in Reverse. Took it to Germain Ford in Sawmill (Columbus, OH) and first thing they did was replace the transmission. That didn't work, so they tried replacing synchro gear. That didn't work. Then they wanted to try replacing the Master cylinder which is not covered and I would have to pay for, that didn't work. Then they wanted to do the big $$$ job and replace Clutch and flywheel assembly which is also not covered. They had to call the Ford Hot line 2 or 3 times for suggestions of what to do next to try and fix this seemingly simple problem. Well guess what, the clutch job magically fixed it for some reason. My 2014 Ford Focus ST2 only has 38,000 miles. Just 2,000 outside the warranty for everything. There is no way a Clutch goes out that quickly when I don't ride the clutch or am not driving it that hard most of the time. The pervious day it was working fine, no slippage or anything, then the next day the issues all of a sudden show up. SO at the end of the day I was left to pay the Big $$$ bill and was not happy about it. Did anyone have similar situation or know of a place where I can complain to Ford if I have a valid complaint? Any insight or suggestions are appreciated, Thanks!

·
Registered
12 Posts
So I just got back my Focus today after a long 4 weeks! I took it in because one day out of the blue, shifting into all forward gears was more of a challenge than normal and wasn't smooth like I'm used to. I get to work and realize I can't even get it to go in Reverse. Took it to Germain Ford in Sawmill (Columbus, OH) and first thing they did was replace the transmission. That didn't work, so they tried replacing synchro gear. That didn't work. Then they wanted to try replacing the Master cylinder which is not covered and I would have to pay for, that didn't work. Then they wanted to do the big $$$ job and replace Clutch and flywheel assembly which is also not covered. They had to call the Ford Hot line 2 or 3 times for suggestions of what to do next to try and fix this seemingly simple problem. Well guess what, the clutch job magically fixed it for some reason. My 2014 Ford Focus ST2 only has 38,000 miles. Just 2,000 outside the warranty for everything. There is no way a Clutch goes out that quickly when I don't ride the clutch or am not driving it that hard most of the time. The pervious day it was working fine, no slippage or anything, then the next day the issues all of a sudden show up. SO at the end of the day I was left to pay the Big $$$ bill and was not happy about it. Did anyone have similar situation or know of a place where I can complain to Ford if I have a valid complaint? Any insight or suggestions are appreciated, Thanks!
Hi, I had a similar issue with you and basically if the clutch isn't covered pass 36k (I brought mine in at 37k) and i was SOL. You could try contacting the ford rep on the forum and they can try to escalate it to a regional manager maybe but that's about it. Sucks to hear that!

·
Registered
3,629 Posts
Hi, I had a similar issue with you and basically if the clutch isn't covered pass 36k (I brought mine in at 37k) and i was SOL. You could try contacting the ford rep on the forum and they can try to escalate it to a regional manager maybe but that's about it. Sucks to hear that!
Clutch is a wear item, so unless it was defective it's not generally covered anyway unless you have a maintenance plan that includes the clutch.

·
Registered
3 Posts
If you've had a clutch failure, please post mileage and symptoms - if possible the culprit as well. Not trying to scare anybody - the vast majority are fine - but if you're about to buy a new ST you might add it to the list of things to check, and if you have a strong clutch smell from normal driving, you should probably take it in.

Mine (IS ST2) was ~60mi, the day I got it. Clutch started slipping, slipping more, then failed completely. Dealer thought it was the slave cylinder, but wasn't totally sure.

6speed (PB ST2) - 1,100 mi; clutch wouldn't release from a stop light
Hoser (PB ST1) - Fixed pre-delivery!
RallyST (PB ST1) - 8,000 mi; Clutch slipping at bottom of each gear.
hamholla (TB ST2) - 6,500 miles. Pedal was glued to the floor, messed with it and got it to return to the full rest position. Pedal only had about half the range it used to. Car wouldn't hold any significant amount of torque. (NOT COVERED -$1,920)
DizzyST (IS ST2) - 2,000 miles. It started to slip about about 100 miles before it died. Clutch smell was horrible during that 100 mile stint.
Pinky - 3 days old. 400km. stopped at a red light and clutch glued itself to the floor. dealership says master and slave cylinder both pooched.
Alpo - 300 mi; after depressing the pedal the clutch pedal five or six times, it would not return from the floor.
Lets-go (RR ST3) - 2,000 miles. Clutch pedal suddenly stuck to floor, fluid dripping from bell housing. Full clutch assembly replacement.
...and several more; haven't been keeping track. Long story short, if you drive normally, haven't been riding the clutch or anything and it stinks to high heaven, just take it in.
Purchased my 2013 ST3 with 19.5K miles on it. Noticed immediately that down shifting into 2nd sometimes caused a grind and would buck out of gear. First I thought it was something I was doing wrong, though I have drove manual trans cars for years now it had been a few since I owned one. Then it started happening on up-shifting the same way. Eventually at around 22K miles the clutch just started slipping out of the blue and shifting into 2nd got even rougher. Figured I better take it in as full failure seemed imminent. That was yesterday and as of now they told me I would be responsible for clutch and flywheel replacement. This morning I did talk to the dealership and asked them to pay close attention to causation, haven't heard any news back yet. Any advice on how to handle this would be much appreciated.

@FordService What do you think? Is it likely the clutch was leaked on by a warrant-able part causing the slippage? My vehicle is currently at Village Ford and so far they have only told me that the transmission will be covered but the flywheel and clutch are on me. At this point it does not sound like they have even disassembled anything yet as my service adviser just told me that the tech will look at it when he gets it taken apart.

·
Super Moderator
8,078 Posts
Purchased my 2013 ST3 with 19.5K miles on it. Noticed immediately that down shifting into 2nd sometimes caused a grind and would buck out of gear. First I thought it was something I was doing wrong, though I have drove manual trans cars for years now it had been a few since I owned one. Then it started happening on up-shifting the same way. Eventually at around 22K miles the clutch just started slipping out of the blue and shifting into 2nd got even rougher. Figured I better take it in as full failure seemed imminent. That was yesterday and as of now they told me I would be responsible for clutch and flywheel replacement. This morning I did talk to the dealership and asked them to pay close attention to causation, haven't heard any news back yet. Any advice on how to handle this would be much appreciated.
Clutch is a wear item, so they won't warranty replace it. That is in fact very soon to have yours die. Whoever had the car before you must have either been VERY hard on the car/clutch or it was their first manual and they had bad habits and wore it out early. Or, it could always be a lemon clutch?

Edit: To answer your question at the end, if the dealer confirms the clutch is the issue, you will have to buy a new one or pay them to replace it with a Ford part. If you have them replace it as a Ford part, you don't have to worry about your drivetrain 6 year/60k mile warranty having future issues, but it will cost more than buying an aftermarket one and having it installed elsewhere. If you like having peace of mind, front the money and have Ford replace it with a new Ford clutch. Which are good quality. Just expect a hefty bill.

·
Super Moderator
7,450 Posts
Found a SPEC 3+ disk for 300$
The spec 3+ is doing ok for now, its broken in, and holding great.

I have very little faith in it though. After having their sprung hub fail.

Southbend is where it's at.

Oh and Spec stopped emailing me after i sent them pictures of the clutch.

Great company, lmfao!!!

·
Registered
9,130 Posts
The spec 3+ is doing ok for now, its broken in, and holding great.

I have very little faith in it though. After having their sprung hub fail.

Southbend is where it's at.

Oh and Spec stopped emailing me after i sent them pictures of the clutch.

Great company, lmfao!!!
Ugh....this makes my heart drop into the bowels of mah lower extremity. How I wish I could afford Southbend, or at least purchase a pressure plate, disk and have it be compatable with the LWFW i have now....why, WHY must everything be expensive.

·
Super Moderator
7,450 Posts
Ugh....this makes my heart drop into the bowels of mah lower extremity. How I wish I could afford Southbend, or at least purchase a pressure plate, disk and have it be compatable with the LWFW i have now....why, WHY must everything be expensive.
Gotta pay to play, sucka

·
Super Moderator
8,078 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Mine literally just failed today. 58,680 miles. Had a low-rpm and low-gear vibration for a few days prior. I thought it was a motor mount or even a wheel bearing. The last drive, the car felt very spongy shifting to 4th and 6th, then half a mile later finally stop shifting from neutral period. All kinds of fun grinding and popping sounds later, car was immobile. Waiting to hear from the dealership tomorrow about the cause/warranty.

·
Registered
3 Posts

@FordService What do you think? Is it likely the clutch was leaked on by a warrant-able part causing the slippage? My vehicle is currently at Village Ford and so far they have only told me that the transmission will be covered but the flywheel and clutch are on me. At this point it does not sound like they have even disassembled anything yet as my service adviser just told me that the tech will look at it when he gets it taken apart.
Update: My Focus has been at the shop for a little over a week now. The adviser I am working with has informed me that they will be replacing the transmission under warranty, unfortunately there is no ETA on when the trans will be shipped in. Because of this they have taken care of all my rental expenses and loaned me a F150 till the repairs are complete. Thankfully that took care of my concern of how I would make to work and not go broke paying for a rental car. He also informed me that the tech has not taken the trans out yet because the car would have to sit in the shop taking up space till the trans came in. So when they do take it out they are going to determine if a fault in the trans caused the slipping of the clutch. But we won't know until then if I will be responsible or warranty will cover those costs.

·
Registered
3 Posts
2016 Focus ST, 16,500 miles. It's my daily and I don't beat on it, no track days or anything.

My clutch was not showing any signs of being worn out, no slipping or strange pedal travel.

1st and reverse were slowly becoming harder and harder to shift into while at a complete stop. Brought it into Ford and it took them a week to figure the clutch was not fully disengaging. They said parts needed to be ordered (new clutch assembly) under warranty, they've now had the car 3 weeks. I called today to find out they only received 1 of the parts needed and more are on back order.

·
Registered
3 Posts
2016 Focus ST, 16,500 miles. It's my daily and I don't beat on it, no track days or anything.

My clutch was not showing any signs of being worn out, no slipping or strange pedal travel.

1st and reverse were slowly becoming harder and harder to shift into while at a complete stop. Brought it into Ford and it took them a week to figure the clutch was not fully disengaging. They said parts needed to be ordered (new clutch assembly) under warranty, they've now had the car 3 weeks. I called today to find out they only received 1 of the parts needed and more are on back order.
Received the car back today about 3.5 weeks after dropping it off.

They replaced the:

Flywheel
Clutch Assembly
Throwout bearing
Front Axel

Drove the car to work today and it felt a lot better with no problems getting into gear.

---

1 day after having the car back, there's now new noises I've never heard before.

Update new noises coming from transmission/clutch. After being driven/warmed up for 10-15 minutes there is a completely new sound coming from the transmission, when clutch is engaged and throttle given a chatter noise can be heard. When at a stop in neutral there's a inconsistent rattle noise coming from the transmission, it can best be heard next to the drivers side front wheel.

Dropped the car back off at ford, this has now become a full month at the shop for a 1 year old car.

---

2nd update

The noise was found to be an exhaust bracket rubbing the frame. Guess they were in a rush reassembling and didn't mount up the bracket well?

681 - 700 of 737 Posts