Ford Focus ST Forum banner

661 - 680 of 746 Posts

·
Premium Member
131 Posts
2016 ST1 with 12,400 miles on it.
I left a red light, shifted into second and rolled on it and the Rpms went way up but car didn't move, shifted to third and they went straight to redline.
I shut it down and pulled to the side of the road and it smelled overwhelmingly like burnt clutch.
I limped it off after a couple of min and it drove fine but still smells fried.
I'm deciding whether to try for warranty or go after market.

·
Registered
172 Posts
You will be happy with the ACT setup!
If I can ever get the damn transmission back in! I was wrestling with it with 2 jacks and a buddy last night for 3 hours and we still couldn't get her lined up. Getting it back up above the control arm was the worst part but now that it's there, it won't go in nicely.

·
Registered
917 Posts
If I can ever get the damn transmission back in! I was wrestling with it with 2 jacks and a buddy last night for 3 hours and we still couldn't get her lined up. Getting it back up above the control arm was the worst part but now that it's there, it won't go in nicely.
Well that's no bueno!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Been reading all the posts here!

Well today the FoST's clutch got stuck and i had to pull it with my foot, but after that the engagement point is so high and its way too light. Noticed slight slippage and the burning clutch smell, had the car towed to the dealer!
Sadly I'm at 37k, so hopefully it might be covered with the Powertrain warranty. It seems that a lot of the clutch issues stems from the slave cylinder failing so if that's the case hopefully it will covered!

Fingers crossed!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Clutch blown at 3.4k miles 2016 st stage 1 cobb tune. Drove it pretty hard right after the tune and after about 2 minutes of driving the clutch pedal stuck to the floor and the engine was smoking hot. Got it home and lifted the clutch off the floor. After letting it sit a day clutch would slip at high rpms. Took it to the dealer, wasn't covered under warranty. 2k down the drain. I am back to stock now am worried about if the tune is what messed up my clutch or not. I don't drive it hard at all anymore. I am 28 and have driven manual my whole life. The clutch and flywheel looked pretty burnt and I actually kept them. I was wondering whether maybe to try to take back up the fight to get it covered under warranty or even if I should try re tuning it? Also I have been doing some research and I haven't seen any stock sts complain about the clutch sticking to the floor problem. I wonder maybe if this is a stage 1 tune cause?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Bought my November 2014 ST in January 2015 with 75 miles on it already - I guess it was the test drive car. Noticed some clutch smell here and there, just thought it was settling in. Happens especially after a long coast down a steep part of hwy 1 (into Pacifica) in gear, no brakes. I have a short commute and only have 11444 miles on the car now. Heard a metallic groan 11/26/16, actually thought it was brakes, since it was raining and i had light pressure on them down a hill. But i think it was the clutch now. Wasn't until the following Tuesday 11/29/16 I parked it in the garage and it smelled like it was on fire with that nasty clutch stank. limped it to the stealership the next morning (only a couple of miles away) and they tell me the whole thing is dead, the slave not leaking, but the pilot bearing (the one on the disc) does have abraded teeth. it felt like it clamped down on itself, like i was towing a house. plus the rpms revved way up and lurched the car forward, if i wasn't quick on the brake and popping into neutral i would have hit the car ahead of me. sort of felt like i was fighting the crappy "hill assist" thing, like it was trying to rev match.

I got to look at the parts and take pics, and the pilot bearing sounded like gravel inside. but of course it's a chicken and egg thing where they say the bearing died because of heat, but they can't prove that, bearing could have died and pooched the rest, but i can't prove that either. I don't know if the pics would show anything to some one with more experience in the dual mass clutches than me. i don't feel taken care of at all - there's this sort of unspoken deal that 12 months/12K miles pretty much the car shouldn't have major parts like this blowing up. Plus, if it's a consumable and nothing's wrong with the part why did they tell me it would take 2 months to get the part, there's none on the shelf? after reading all of these experiences, i can't help but be wary that i could put in the regular part and it dies again, but on a road trip next time, or in 5k. But when i brought up an aftermarket sport clutch, the guy warned me that if something else died in the drive train, they could refuse to cover it. nice right?

So I've probably handled all of this wrong from the beginning, but didn't have a lot of ability to really fight since a close family member passed a few days later. Sigh. So of course I'm getting the bounce around from the stealership to the 800 number people with everyone pretty much telling me it's not covered under warranty and that it's wear and tear. I know everyone says they've driving a clutch forever etc, and I have (since i was 8) also I drive motorcycles, and have had a clutch last 250K. I put a stage 1 Exedy clutch into my last Focus (2003 ZX3 Duratec 2.3L) which was so much fun, had no troubles at all with that, just 100% fun. the worst part is that i was really babying the ST, i mean take away my gear head card, i don't have anywhere to play with the fun button safely without cops right now, so i really hadn't let it loose much. I did go and do the track day at Miller - probably one of the most fun things i've ever done, so I'd like to think i'm a pretty dedicated ST enthusiast. I am female, second daughter (no sons) so i got to do all the cool stuff with my Dad, cars, bikes, rebuilding engines, working in the shop etc. but i know that despite these modern times there's still a gender bias, especially with mechanics. grrr.

the saddest thing is that this is my 7th Ford, and the first brand new car i ever bought. I was starting to consider an RS, and my husband was about to go to the same dealership and buy an Explorer, but now we're nervous they will screw us over again. it's breaking my heart because i loved this car more than almost any other car I've owned, it's only rival my classic custom off the line Mopar 68 Dart (383-V8) that I rebuilt with my Dad. But I'm falling out of love now and if i wanted to be nervous about my car breaking down suddenly, i would have kept my last Focus that was dying. I found myself looking at other cars this weekend, maybe i can get something else good during the President's Day sales coming up.

thanks for letting me vent, and if there are any Ford reps that want to help me please reach out to me, because dealer will probably be done fixing it today, and they don't even want to help with me being in a rental car for a month.

-update, after essentially 60 days at dealer the clutch was finally repaired. The extended time out of commission, along with a few other issues like the warped windshield cowling, not a flush joint on the car, practically every TSB needed to be done, and all under the 12k mark allowed me to lemon the car. I now have an RS, so they came through in the taking care of the customer angle as far as I'm concerned. it's not a fast or easy process, but they were fair.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'm always curious what's the cause of clutch pedal sticking... In all my years of driving manuals I've never experienced it. Is it a fault with the slave cylinder leaking or any part of the hydraulics?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Well just an update! Ford won't warranty the clutch so I need to pony up. Although the more striking reason was that the rep asked the dealer if my issue had happened in the 36k warranty period if they will cover it, and the answer is no. So that's a lesson learned on the warranty policy. Sadly this will be my last ford!

Anyways, I'm still curious on the cause of a stuck clutch pedal and what's the general cause of that! Hopefully others are having better luck on their cars

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
13,474 Posts
Well just an update! Ford won't warranty the clutch so I need to pony up. Although the more striking reason was that the rep asked the dealer if my issue had happened in the 36k warranty period if they will cover it, and the answer is no. So that's a lesson learned on the warranty policy. Sadly this will be my last ford!

Anyways, I'm still curious on the cause of a stuck clutch pedal and what's the general cause of that! Hopefully others are having better luck on their cars

Since the clutch is a wear item I can see them covering it with warrenty. I haven't seen an single manufacture warranty a wear item like that.

Sent from another garage.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Since the clutch is a wear item I can see them covering it with warrenty. I haven't seen an single manufacture warranty a wear item like that.

Sent from another garage.
I assume you mean can't?

I completely understand and if I feel the clutch is slipping at 37k I wouldn't fuss about it and change it. My gripe is that the clutch wasn't slipping but then the clutch pedal got stuck on a shift and it literally started having a bad burning smell after I managed to get it unstuck (pulling it by hand).

I know off the top of my head (from a friend's experience) that Subaru's 36k warranty does cover wear item for premature wear. With that said, when his clutch started slipping subaru did offer a prorated cost and he ended up paying around $300ish at 27k miles!

Other than this it's been a fun car!

·
Registered
112 Posts
2014 ST3 RR with about 42K and I am now smelling that smell once in a while. Same thing as everyone else - when I do hard 1-2 shift it'll hang at high revs and not engage like it should in 2nd- if I drive it normal (which is most of the time) I don't really notice it. I'm feeling sick to my stomach.

Bone Stock BTW

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
121 Posts
16 ST MG, I had a problem around 300 miles clutch was burning I thought maybe I should have been in lower gears I moved on didn't have major issues, around 600 miles it happened it again. bad smell in cabin. The pedal got stuck had to pull it, too kit to dealer they said it is all good cant replicate also break in bla bla BS. now at 6k miles my gears are not as smooth as before cluth is jumpy and gears grind. I am taking it to the dealer and if I waste my time I will definatly regret not going for a GTI. With ford service people and their cheap ass quality of work I am not very confident.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,103 Posts
16 ST MG, I had a problem around 300 miles clutch was burning I thought maybe I should have been in lower gears I moved on didn't have major issues, around 600 miles it happened it again. bad smell in cabin. The pedal got stuck had to pull it, too kit to dealer they said it is all good cant replicate also break in bla bla BS. now at 6k miles my gears are not as smooth as before cluth is jumpy and gears grind. I am taking it to the dealer and if I waste my time I will definatly regret not going for a GTI. With ford service people and their cheap ass quality of work I am not very confident.
Certainly an extremely rare issue you might be facing, go to different dealerships. One dealer doesn't justify them all. Sincerely though, best of luck getting the issue situated.

I had to chuckle though that you referenced such a problematic brand of car in comparison to the ST though..if I had an issue with Ford quality I certainly wouldn't go to VW lol.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Stumbled upon this after my 2015 Focus ST (TB) just had a complete clutch failure with zero signs prior at 29K miles. Car is in shop, transmission being torn down. Sounds like the slave cylinder issue. Not a happy camper, but wanted to definitely get myself into this thread. Ford should take note of this, as this many people having issues, must mean a defect or under-engineered part.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Update, car has now been broken down for two weeks while they repair the transmission. Dealer replaced slave cylinder that failed and destroyed the clutch and other components, put it back together, and believe the new clutch is no good. Tearing it down again and have to wait for new parts... Best of all is Ford only wants to cover a rental for four days.

·
Registered
245 Posts
My car is 2014 MK3 ST with 70K Kms. Have been on a tune and some mods since day one. Clutch never showed wear signs or had prior issues. No slips or abnormal clutch pedal feel. All of a sudden a couple of weeks back while driving the pedal felt spongy and a few seconds later got totally stuck down. Took it to ford dealer. It was a release bearing (slave cylinder) failure. The OE flywheel and clutch were still in good condition. it was not covered by warranty as they said clutch is a wear n tear item, they quoted me USD $2500 (full clutch kit and labour).

I finally got the clutch done by my local garage. The trans was brought down and the job lasted 2 days. Bought from Mountune UK, their Clutch Kit which were all Ford components from FoRS. The Mountune clutch Kit (Dual mass flywheel, Pressure n clutch plate, slave cylinder) with installation labour cost me a total USD $950. Less than half what Ford had quoted. If installing the new clutch I would recommend to change the Master cylinder and clutch line too so the full clutch system is replaced. New RS clutch has the same pedal feel as OE clutch, good for daily driving and the Mountune upgraded clutch is tested for a clamping force of over 400hp and 500Nm torque

·
Registered
350 Posts
2013 ST with 117,000 miles. Slave cylinder went on Saturday and left me along side the road. In the process of being replaced and going to do the clutch as well since we're in there even though there was ZERO slippage. Luckily my son is a tech at a Chevrolet garage and they can get Ford parts cheap from their sister dealership and gave me a great deal on the entire job!

·
Registered
165 Posts
Today after a long day driving in heat and traffic, with AC. I experienced clutch slippage that seemed fairly severe. It was not solidly engaging, but prior to this zero signs of slippage, just all the suddent not good. . No smell,

This a normal way to see it go?

Could the heat have caused an issue that may resolve in cooler temp?

661 - 680 of 746 Posts