Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay so I messed up a little yesterday. I launched the car & it spun & while it was spinning I shifted, & then it spun on second & I shifted to third & then it spun on 3rd & I let off, there was an apparent clutch/brake fluid smell, so I drove the car normally everything was fine, then I got on the car from 1-4th & it spun on second & gripped every gear , didn’t slip , but the smell was still present , so I let the car cool down for an hour and a half , smell was still present, I drove the car on the highway got it in higher gear & built some boost, got off the highway & the smell was not as bad, then I went out & beat on it in every gear, no slippage at all, I come back & the smell didn’t get worse it was present a little bit but it wasn’t bad. So I let the car sit for maybe an hour & I come out & pop the hood & the smell is pretty bad, should I just replace the clutch? Car has 137k & idk if previous owner changed it, mods are fbo, solid top mounts , & a stratified crackle tune. Thanks in advance!

·
Super Moderator
2014 ST3. Garrett Powermax turbo, Thermal Turboback, CPE intercooler, JBR intake, Innovative RMM
4,536 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
traction was off.

·
Super Moderator
2014 ST3. Garrett Powermax turbo, Thermal Turboback, CPE intercooler, JBR intake, Innovative RMM
4,536 Posts
traction was off.
The e-diff uses the brakes still to equalize power to both front wheels regardless of traction control status.

You're doing burnouts in a car designed to mitigate wheelspin. Stop doing burnouts.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The e-diff uses the brakes still to equalize power to both front wheels regardless of traction control status.

You're doing burnouts in a car designed to mitigate wheelspin. Stop doing burnouts.
I’ve never done a burn out in this car , this is the first time I’ve ever tried the launch control in this car with my strat tune , I wanted to try it out & it spun like crazy I wasn’t use to it, I don’t beat the hell out of this car.

·
Administrator
12,622 Posts
I’ve never done a burn out in this car , this is the first time I’ve ever tried the launch control in this car with my strat tune , I wanted to try it out & it spun like crazy I wasn’t use to it, I don’t beat the hell out of this car.
Only takes one mistake... Poof.

·
Super Moderator
4,536 Posts
What most aren't realizing is launch control is meant for cars that have the means to handle it (with slicks and adequate suspension mods to put the power down). Otherwise it's merely show-boat mode.

There's no way for someone not seeing the car in- person to determine if the smell is coming from your clutch or your brakes. But obviously one of the two systems is being overworked. The car is telling you what you're doing to it isn't good.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
I agree. "Crackle" mode likely defeats Ford's intended usage by a good amount. I read Cobb also offers a "FFS" (Flat Footed Shifting) option as well- but just because you can, doesn't mean you should - at least not on a mostly stock car.

·
Registered
2016 ST1, FBO, GTX2867R Gen2 .64-AR, Spec stage 2 clutch, Quaife LSD, Fortune Auto 500 coil-overs.
328 Posts
Sounds like you roasted the clutch and put more glaze on it than a Krispy Kreme donut. When you roast a clutch the smell lingers for a while...

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Sounds like you roasted the clutch and put more glaze on it than a Krispy Kreme donut. When you roast a clutch the smell lingers for a while...
Will a "roasted clutch" come back to normal after some use?

I'm generally careful with my cars. I do not look at track or autox use as abuse, (as long as the car is driven conscientiously) but doing a burnout for the sake of doing a burnout seems like abuse to me. I'd rather spend money modifying / improving my car than on repairing intentionally-inflicted damage- which brings me to another question:

Can one safely spin the tires on a mostly stock ST without damaging anything? Maybe with a pair of super hard / non grippy junk tires?

·
Registered
2016 ST2, Absolute Black, Monster FMIC, Turbosmart BPV, ALEX' Shift Bushings,PCV-OCC, Innovative RMM
1,591 Posts
Will a "roasted clutch" come back to normal after some use?

I'm generally careful with my cars. I do not look at track or autox use as abuse, (as long as the car is driven conscientiously) but doing a burnout for the sake of doing a burnout seems like abuse to me. I'd rather spend money modifying / improving my car than on repairing intentionally-inflicted damage- which brings me to another question:

Can one safely spin the tires on a mostly stock ST without damaging anything? Maybe with a pair of super hard / non grippy junk tires?
Clutches don't necessarily have 9 lives, but you can smell one a little a time or 2 and get more life out of it. Clutches smell different and worse than brakes.

After rmm upgrade to stop wheel hop, it's very easy to spin occasionally. I found going to 245/40 tires helped spin accidentally less. I run closer to 40 psi than 36 on stock 235s.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts