Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Focus ST1
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do y'alls transmissions make a clacking noise when shifting? It's loudest when I'm moving, and especially noisy when I'm shifting hard. No other sounds, and I can only hear it when the windows are down.
Clutch, clack clank clack, clutch cruise.
I'm assuming this is just part of having a sporty transmission, the clutch grabbing faster and whatnot, but can't really find anything about it and I'm very paranoid about everything ever.

·
Administrator
12,221 Posts
Do y'alls transmissions make a clacking noise when shifting? It's loudest when I'm moving, and especially noisy when I'm shifting hard. No other sounds, and I can only hear it when the windows are down.
Clutch, clack clank clack, clutch cruise.
I'm assuming this is just part of having a sporty transmission, the clutch grabbing faster and whatnot, but can't really find anything about it and I'm very paranoid about everything ever.
Yeah its pretty noisy

·
Registered
159 Posts
Both mine do, kinda sounds like a sling shot. But I know mine is just the linkage slap. Is there any feedback from the clutch pedal or powertrain to this noise?

·
Registered
2016 Focus ST1
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Both mine do, kinda sounds like a sling shot. But I know mine is just the linkage slap. Is there any feedback from the clutch pedal or powertrain to this noise?
What do you mean?
It's silent while I drive but when I push the clutch pedal and shift out and into gear it clicks with each movement. Sounds normal knowing my luck I messed it up somehow

·
Registered
159 Posts
If you shift the transmission back and forth between 1 and 2 with the engine off you’ll hear what I’m taking about.

·
Registered
2013 Ford Focus ST1
1,771 Posts
Just shifter mechanism inertia - normal. It is a good idea not to shift too fast with these cars though, as the syncro rings are weak

·
Registered
2016 Focus ST1
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just shifter mechanism inertia - normal. It is a good idea not to shift too fast with these cars though, as the syncro rings are weak
that's good to know, thanks! i granny shift normally, im not one for racing

·
Registered
*2016 Ford Focus ST
349 Posts
that's good to know, thanks! i granny shift normally, im not one for racing
Needa burn that carbon out and get on her sometimes, I myself shift every 2500 or 3k but when everything’s at operating temp a pull here and there doesn’t hurt it.

·
Administrator
12,221 Posts
Needa burn that carbon out and get on her sometimes, I myself shift every 2500 or 3k but when everything’s at operating temp a pull here and there doesn’t hurt it.
Ye olde Itailian tune up.

Ecoboosts like to be ran hard. Just properly maintained, and operated as well.

·
Banned
2016 Focus ST2
886 Posts
time to see how weak these new carbon synchros are :cool:

·
Banned
2016 Focus ST2
886 Posts
Once in a wheel its a good idea to launch the car, it always worked for me when the gear shifts felt clunky and you would get feedback on your clutch pedal.

try it, it will make the shifts smoother, I think it puts back everything into place 😁😅

1 - 14 of 14 Posts