Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know the OE ford part number for the clutch assist spring perch, or a place to buy an aftermarket perch without the spring? I installed a steeda spring but damaged the perch in the process, and I don’t want to have to buy a second spring just for the perch. Thanks much

·
Premium Member
3,526 Posts

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
Thanks, that actually helps a lot. I didn’t want the whole assembly because steeda charges $80+, but $25 is very reasonable

If all you broke was one of the clips that holds the perch together. I did the same thing. It only needs to really hold long enough for you to get it in once it's in there it can't come apart.

·
Registered
422 Posts
I have been tempted to do this mod as well. A large percentage of people disassembling the OEM assembly break them (I assume I will too if I buy the Steeda spring). I think I vaguely recall feeling like the clutch felt non-linear when I first bought the car, but now I'm so used to it I don't think I notice it anymore.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Try this method. It doesn't take much force, but it does go ballistic when to comes apart.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
242 Posts
You can buy the perch I don’t remember the part number I had to replace it for my buddy. I also haven’t ran a spring or perch sense 16 lol

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
I have been tempted to do this mod as well. A large percentage of people disassembling the OEM assembly break them (I assume I will too if I buy the Steeda spring). I think I vaguely recall feeling like the clutch felt non-linear when I first bought the car, but now I'm so used to it I don't think I notice it anymore.
yeah i dont understand what people are doing that they destroy the housing while doing this. I just used a torx impact bit i had (like 2" long skinny bit that fit,) held the part in a vice and gave it a quick tap... super easy.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Just depress the clutch and get you a nice pair of needle nose pliers and pop it off.
If you press the clutch to the floor and push the spring assembly a little to the right with your thumb, it'll pop out, too.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Removing the spring does not seem to be an issue, it's getting the plastic spring retainer parts separated without breaking them.

You can clearly see how people are breaking them if you watch any of the bazillion Youtube videos showing people attempting this mod. Many are just brute-force pulling them apart with their hands (or with pliers). Those who seem successful use a bench vice.

Do people here think this is a worthwhile mod? I'm mixed on the topic, but am leaning toward no...

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Do people here think this is a worthwhile mod? I'm mixed on the topic, but am leaning toward no...
its just one of those tiny "feel" mods and completely up to the individual. Most of us might be biased after having it and telling you its the best use of our money ever. Ideally, find someone at a meet that has it done and do an A vs B and see if its just right for you. You might realize its of little to no benefit. Some of us are beholden to having to mod everything for every little ounce of perceived improvement :)

·
Registered
57 Posts
An easy test to see if you'd like it is to remove the spring assembly entirely and drive around for a bit. The Steeda spring feels only slightly more assisted and non-linear than not having the spring at all.
Some people actually drive like that all the time, but there's some concern that it will negatively impact the clutch (or the clutch cylinders). The Steeda spring is the closest you can get to the no-spring feel while still keeping the pedal from pressing a little on the clutch.

·
Registered
41 Posts
If you feel that you need a spring to protect the clutch hydraulics, the spring from a toilet paper holder will probably fit in the perch.

I can see a bunch of ST owners with their toilet paper on the toilet tank.

It's probably less expensive to get a #47 spring from Ace Hardware. Mine was $1.49. I like the feel. There is less push back when releasing the clutch.

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
You just have to make sure the spring is just long enough to extend the perch. And just strong enough to hold up the free play in the pedal so it's not pushing on the slave cylinder all the time.knowing what I know now I'd probably go to the hardware store and get one lighter than the steeda spring.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts