Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

My ST has been fairly trouble free, but yesterday I thought I heard a light clunk when going over a speed bump. It was pretty light sound, so initially I wasn't sure it was there, but now I'm positive there's a light clunk when going over speed bumps and any other sort of bump in the road. Today, while reversing I also noticed that when braking in reverse, there's also a thunk that seems to emanate from the front of the car. There's no thunking noise when breaking going forward, only when going backwards while hitting the brakes.

This kind of stuff is a little worrying to me since I don't know what's going on -- anybody have any ideas what it is? Is it safe to drive?

Car is a '13 with about 65xxx miles on it, no modifications. I looked up my car on safercar.gov and didn't see any recalls that needed to be done.

·
Registered
3,616 Posts
Check the rear motor mount. Check your sway bar end links.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Reactions: Duece McCracken

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Do you hear anything when initially taking off from a stop?
Nope. Only when braking while reversing or going over bumps in the road.

Check the rear motor mount. Check your sway bar end links.

Would the rear motor mount break already? Wasn't that the same part replaced in the TSB?
I'm going to go look up how to check the sway bar end links.

·
Registered
3,616 Posts
Nope. Only when braking while reversing or going over bumps in the road.

Would the rear motor mount break already? Wasn't that the same part replaced in the TSB?
I'm going to go look up how to check the sway bar end links.
Yeah I just replaced the E-Focus mount I installed at 3k with the CP-E stage 2. Have 65k now. I was surprised it was torn. Got rid of some metal on metal vibrations and a clunk.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I looked up the sounds of a sway bar end link failure, and it doesn't sound like the noises my car is making. I took a look through the tire well too, and didn't notice anything obviously wrong, at least.

What's the easiest way to check if the rear motor mount is broken? Is it possible to tell without getting under the car and taking it apart?

·
Registered
331 Posts
I looked up the sounds of a sway bar end link failure, and it doesn't sound like the noises my car is making. I took a look through the tire well too, and didn't notice anything obviously wrong, at least.

What's the easiest way to check if the rear motor mount is broken? Is it possible to tell without getting under the car and taking it apart?
Have some look at the engine while its under load (easier to do in an automatic) If excessive engine movement is seen suspect a torn/worn mount. It could also be the upper strut mount bearings making the noise too especially if its noticed over bumps. Sway bar links usually make noises while cornering. Hope this helps. Quickest way to check that mount would be to get under the car and look at it though.

·
Super Moderator
9,548 Posts
The top hat bearings on the top of the front struts will making a thunking/bumping noise when they get worn out.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Do you hear that clunk when stopped completely and turn the wheel to completion each way?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sorry for the delay in the update, I've been super busy. So today while driving home from work and passing over a rough patch of pavement, I swear I heard what kind of sounded like something falling out of the engine area -- you know that sound a car makes when you run over some good sized rocks and it hits the underside of the car? It made a noise just like that then the noise abated abruptly afterwards. Who knows, maybe it was road debris? I didn't notice any difference in performance or handling though. However, after continuing to drive for awhile I had noticed my car making some noises -- kind of like the sound the disc brake makes while rubbing against a rotor -- but more metallic and grindy of a noise. I don't know how dangerous it is, but it's got me to where I've made an appointment with the shop to try and diagnose it on Monday.

Have some look at the engine while its under load (easier to do in an automatic) If excessive engine movement is seen suspect a torn/worn mount. It could also be the upper strut mount bearings making the noise too especially if its noticed over bumps. Sway bar links usually make noises while cornering. Hope this helps. Quickest way to check that mount would be to get under the car and look at it though.
I haven't noticed any noises when cornering, but after reading all these threads on a rear motor mount I just might buy one for the heck of it. I hate getting underneath a car though, I'm always paranoid about a jack stand failing.

The top hat bearings on the top of the front struts will making a thunking/bumping noise when they get worn out.
I tried to look up how to check a top hat bearing for awhile -- couldn't find it. You wouldn't perhaps know of a link showing how to do so or another name for it, would you?

Do you hear that clunk when stopped completely and turn the wheel to completion each way?
Nope! No noise.

Can you provide any sound clips?
Here's a sound clip I took today. In the clip, I'm heading backwards in neutral and just tapping the brakes a few times.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AklrqLgF28MXgkFYy03Cvl4OWFQf

·
Super Moderator
9,548 Posts
Here is a link to a video demonstrating the sound pretty well, but in your last response you said it does not do it while turning and that is when the strut mount bearing will be the noisiest.

Reactions: Unfitproduct

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Okay, presuming it's a strut mount or a sway bar end link, how safe is it to drive when it's failed like this? The symptoms keep on getting worse day by day to where I just decided to drive my wife's car today and yesterday.

·
Super Moderator
9,548 Posts
Okay, presuming it's a strut mount or a sway bar end link, how safe is it to drive when it's failed like this? The symptoms keep on getting worse day by day to where I just decided to drive my wife's car today and yesterday.
If it's the sway bar end link that is loose there is no reason to drive it around like that as it is ridiculously easy to jack the car up, remove the under pan and tighten them up. If it is the strut bearings it will just keep making more and more noise as it grinds the bearings into metal shavings and ruins the strut mounts in the process.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well, it turned out that it was something I probably could have fixed but didn't because I didn't expect it.

Took it to the shop, where they discovered the bolts holding on the brake calipers were loose. Suspension is A-OK, but good thing I brought it in to have it fixed and was driving another car in the meantime.

On the plus side, after visiting the forums I read all these positive things about upgrading the rear motor mount. I never really had an issue with the stock motor mount (after the TSB), but I decided to order the Mountune one though I was doubtful it would make any difference at all and ... it makes a big difference! Drives much better now. So at least there was a positive to all this trouble. I had the mount installed when they fixed the brakes.

Thanks to all who helped!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts