Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I'm at a loss... My car has 9500kms and recently started developing a clunking style noise from what sounds like the suspension in the back.

First thing I did was change to COBB hangers for my exhaust thinking the exhaust was banging around.
Nope.

Second thing I did was get the car on a hoist and go over my bolts and everything is tight. WHAT THE HELL CAN IT BE!!??

Next thing I'm doing is pulling my spare tire even though I checked it a while ago. I did have to use it when I got a flat a few weeks ago. Placed it back and I'm curious if that's what's banging around even though it's tight in there.

Help me out here? It's NOT consistent and it's only SOMETIMES at lower speeds. And when I mean it's not consistent it's every now and then but I know it's there and it's annoying the hell out of me

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
19 replies for a removing front license plate thread but nobody has any input on this...

·
Registered
125 Posts
Hard to help out at this point. You need to figure out what manipulates the sound. Does it happen when you go over bumps? make a left turn? Louder at idle? etc. Have you checked the endlinks for the rear sway bar?

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yup checked both front and rear end links both totally fine. Happens sometimes when I go over small bumps at low speeds. Never happens over a speed bump strangely, driving highway speeds going over say a pothole and such. That's why it's beyond me where it could be coming from as there isn't much in the back.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Put car on a lift, end links are all tight and so is all the suspension in the back.

What else should I check?

·
Registered
7,330 Posts
I know you have the Cobb hangers, but have you tried grabbing the tail pipe and moving it side to side? My clunk actually got worse with the Cobb hangers until I further limited exhaust movement. Now the car is silent. It sounded almost identical to a bad endlink.

If the sound happens when you hit a bump unevenly in the rear at slow speeds, I would check your swaybar clamp bushings too. The bar has a flat and causes it to preload and bind.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Back seat not latched? Privacy shelf popped off one of its pivot points? Floor not seated all the way down on the foam? Emergency wrench not seated in it's little cutout? Subwoofer loose?

Just spitballing here

·
Registered
405 Posts
Any updates on this? I started having the same issue you are describing. I'm also on H&R coils almost all the way down. I wiggled my exhaust around to see if that caused the sound. Definitely not the exhaust. It is coming from the right rear side I think and it only happens while driving over bumpy roads but not all the time. It doesn't even occur when I go over a speed bump.

I also checked my spare to see if that was secure and it is. I'm currently at 30k miles with about 10k on the H&R coils. Tires have about 5k.

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
Any updates on this? I started having the same issue you are describing. I'm also on H&R coils almost all the way down. I wiggled my exhaust around to see if that caused the sound. Definitely not the exhaust. It is coming from the right rear side I think and it only happens while driving over bumpy roads but not all the time. It doesn't even occur when I go over a speed bump.

I also checked my spare to see if that was secure and it is. I'm currently at 30k miles with about 10k on the H&R coils. Tires have about 5k.
Hey Mcfizzled,

Thanks for posting about the issue you're experiencing. Have you had a chance to have this noise diagnosed by your Ford Dealership?

Nick

·
Registered
405 Posts
I figured out what where my sound was coming from. It was my muffler/exhaust tip hangers being loose. This was allowed the tips to hit the left side of the inner bumper exhaust tip cover thing. I just installed the Cobb hangers and it seems to have resolved the problem...sorta. My borla exhaust muffler keeps edging itself towards the left and won't stay centered even with the Cobb hangers. Does anyone know of anyway to fix that issue?

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Could it be the struts? This was common on some Subarus. Mine included. Slight binding on the shaft that made a clunking sound. Happened after I put lowering springs on it.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Did this go away with the new coilovers?
I've had the h&r coilovers for about 10k miles now and the noise started happening about 2 weeks ago. I'm still leaning towards my muffler making the clunk noise but I still need to figure out how to keep it from moving to the left. I'll post a picture to give you guys a better idea of what I'm experiencing.

·
Registered
405 Posts
I know you have the Cobb hangers, but have you tried grabbing the tail pipe and moving it side to side? My clunk actually got worse with the Cobb hangers until I further limited exhaust movement. Now the car is silent. It sounded almost identical to a bad endlink. If the sound happens when you hit a bump unevenly in the rear at slow speeds, I would check your swaybar clamp bushings too. The bar has a flat and causes it to preload and bind.
How were you able to further limit exhaust movement? I put on the Cobb hangers but my exhaust still moves more than I'd like.

·
Registered
7,330 Posts
How were you able to further limit exhaust movement? I put on the Cobb hangers but my exhaust still moves more than I'd like.
I used a wire splice on one of the rear hangers to act as a stop so the exhaust could no longer move horizontally.

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
bumppppp having same issue. Trying to diagnose it now. I swapped out coilovers to bone stock to rule out my suspension. Next I want to check that I didn't over-tighten the shock mount bolt on the knuckle, causing the bushing to get bound up. I'll have to check out the exhaust hangers. The noise didn't develop right after putting coilovers on. It developed a week or so after that.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Ok I'm at a loss... My car has 9500kms and recently started developing a clunking style noise from what sounds like the suspension in the back.

First thing I did was change to COBB hangers for my exhaust thinking the exhaust was banging around.
Nope.

Second thing I did was get the car on a hoist and go over my bolts and everything is tight. WHAT THE HELL CAN IT BE!!??

Next thing I'm doing is pulling my spare tire even though I checked it a while ago. I did have to use it when I got a flat a few weeks ago. Placed it back and I'm curious if that's what's banging around even though it's tight in there.

Help me out here? It's NOT consistent and it's only SOMETIMES at lower speeds. And when I mean it's not consistent it's every now and then but I know it's there and it's annoying the hell out of me
Ok do you have aftermarket sway bar, if so I would put money on it your bushings are spent I have steeda sway bars on my car and I must change them out ever 35 to 40 thousand miles. Put your car on jack stands take a bar between sway bar for leverage and lift and watch the bushing there will be play. Hope I helped. I went threw the same thing.

·
Registered
1 Posts

Nope.

The same thing was happening to me and it was SUPER simple! It turned out that my seat belt was leaning against the plastic next to the door jam, making that knocking sound. I free'd up the belt, moved the buckle against the seat, and POOF no more knocking.

Hope this helps.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts