Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2013 Focus st with 40k miles FBO and a strange problem. When I engage the clutch from a stop on an incline or even sometimes on flat ground I get a grunting clunking noise from under the car. This sounds resonates through the center console leading me to believe its the inner CV joints but I also feel it could be the clutch. I've never heard anything like this. I could produce a video if this would help the sound is pretty noticeable.
This became a problem after installing my full exhaust to I thought it was the hanger rubbing which would make sense as that is where the sound seems to be coming from but trimming the prongs did nothing. I'm at a total loss, the CV axles have a little bit of play, they click slightly when I move them up and down or push them in and out, I figured this was within tolerance but I have no clue. Is any play OK?
mods;
CPE stage 2 RMM
Bilsten b14 coilovers
Stoptech rotors and HPS pads
Green filter
Ford performance exhaust and ACCELATEC down pipe
CPE delta intercooler
Boomba Short shifter kit

·
Registered
2013 Ford Focus ST1
1,768 Posts
Just a long shot - could it be the rear brakes being a little slow to release (assuming set to hill start assist mode)?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just a long shot - could it be the rear brakes being a little slow to release (assuming set to hill start assist mode)?
I'm going to try and take off hill assist, but it sounds like its coming front under the hood when I have my windows open.

·
Registered
2014 Focus ST ST3.
443 Posts
I just had this happen to me.. have you had your car recently aligned?
Mine happened to be a loose jam nut on the outer tie rod. I jacked up the front end. and checked the wheels by jerking it back and forth as you would to check for a bad bearing...And that led me right to the problem.. This may not be your issue, but its worth a check..

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I will check that, I actually did get one relatively recently. I did find a bad trans mount. The whole front side was blown out and split. Rock Auto has one new stock for $26 shipped it'll be here friday. I will get it on stands tomorrow and check ball joints, bushing and jam nut.

·
Registered
2014 Focus ST ST3.
443 Posts
let me know!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Replaced the Trans mount and tried hill assist off, both did nothing infact the trans mount exacerbated the problem. I'm thinking its the clutch or TOB at this point. If I just do a very direct engagement of the clutch the sound doesn't happen. Maybe I'm just bad at driving stick lol.

·
Registered
2014 Focus ST ST3.
443 Posts
Drive axle?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
There's no play in the CV Axel's, the really odd thing is it started after I installed my turbo back exhaust. I trimmed the mounting forks for the DP think it was that but that didn't help the sound.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Pretty sure it's the turbo to DP clamp otherwise known as the V-band Clamp. Pretty sure its worn, I tightened it up and the clunk and/or chatter was decreased. I will order a new one and slap it on.

·
Super Moderator
9,761 Posts
Pretty sure it's the turbo to DP clamp otherwise known as the V-band Clamp. Pretty sure its worn, I tightened it up and the clunk and/or chatter was decreased. I will order a new one and slap it on.
I was going to say, if it started after the exhaust install, it's most likely related to the exhaust...

Reactions: TurboGT

·
Registered
979 Posts
It's exhaust rubbing, get underneath and look for tight clearances, I had to hammer a flimsy crossmember flat to fix my problem that sounded the same.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It's exhaust rubbing, get underneath and look for tight clearances, I had to hammer a flimsy crossmember flat to fix my problem that sounded the same.
I'll give this ago, how tight should all the unions be torque wise? When I installed it I used 40 ftlbs. I found that number on here some where.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It all came down to torquing sequence, I must've tightened up all the exhaust components by the downpipe in the wrong order. When loosening the mounting plate under the downpipe attaching it to the motor mount everything shifted a quarter inch. I went through and loosened every connection to the downpipe then torqued it all in the order dictated in the workshop manual that can be found on this forum. Thanks for the replies!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It all came down to torquing sequence, I must've tightened up all the exhaust components by the downpipe in the wrong order. When loosening the mounting plate under the downpipe attaching it to the motor mount everything shifted a quarter inch. I went through and loosened every connection to the downpipe then torqued it all in the order dictated in the workshop manual that can be found on this forum. Thanks for the replies!
I know this is old but I'd like to mention this problem came back I think it was a combination of downpipe positioning and the stock hanger for the down pipe. I did the Passat hanger mod and it seems to be gone and the whole drive line feels tighter. Meaning shifts and first gear seems smoother. So far so good.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I know this is old but I'd like to mention this problem came back I think it was a combination of downpipe positioning and the stock hanger for the down pipe. I did the Passat hanger mod and it seems to be gone and the whole drive line feels tighter. Meaning shifts and first gear seems smoother. So far so good.
4 month update, this solved the Clunk after downpipe issue, i hope someone else can find this when they need it. i would have loved to have found any info on this.

·
Registered
618 Posts
What is the 'Passat Hanger Mod'? I tried to search it, but this thread is the only thing that pops up. Glad you got it sorted out and it's been holding!

·
Super Moderator
9,761 Posts
What is the 'Passat Hanger Mod'? I tried to search it, but this thread is the only thing that pops up. Glad you got it sorted out and it's been holding!
You can "modify" a Passat downpipe hanger, it is a bit beefier; I believe all you have to do is dremel the mounting holes into slots to get them to line up.

·
Premium Member
2018 Ford Focus ST1
1,280 Posts
Here you go... This was my 6 month update thread, but the original one where I installed it is linked in it. VW mount

1 - 20 of 21 Posts