Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I thought I had the "steam" issue figured out. The exhaust is still pouring out steam (coolant) from the exhaust side of the turbo.

Was convinced it was "turbo seals" but after buying a $2200 Garrett 2867 big turbo and starting the car it's still puking steam out of the exhaust side.

I've pressure tested the motor, it's like 160+ on all cylinders. Scoped the cylinders and they are all looking the same, none of them are washed. The car runs smooth as heck. it idles pefectly. starts on the first push.

The water (it's just water now, i don't run coolant cause it's a race car) basically drips out constantly of there's any pressure on the system.

The recent diagnosis or theory I have is that there's either a crack in the head but not to where it is getting into the cylinders. It has to be a crack near the exhaust ports or at those water jackets near the turbo inlet from the exhaust port.

Any ideas?

I'm guessing my next step is yank the breaks new turbo, then pull the head and take to a shop to test it? Also look at the gaskets?

Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
979 Posts
I agree with this, a crack in the head or leaking head gasket but not to where it is getting into the cylinders. It has to be a crack near the exhaust ports or at those water jackets near the turbo inlet from the exhaust port.

I would do a pressure test of the cooling system to verify what you already know (leak out exhaust) then pull the head and investigate the cause further.

My bet is a blown head gasket thats not affecting the combustion/cylinder area but is leaking into an exhaust port.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Is the leak coming from the Turbo?
It's water/oil cooled, isn't it. maybe that seal is bad?

·
Premium Member
1,152 Posts
Is the leak coming from the Turbo?
It's water/oil cooled, isn't it. maybe that seal is bad?
leak was present with stock turbo and OP upgraded and issue persisted.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Pressure test is the best way IMHO.

Mark

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the replies. Its at the shop now. To the eye, the head gasket looks good. Inside the exhaust port it looks like metal would if it were to get wet, sort of corroded.

i stuck my finger in there and couldn't feel anything but that doesn't mean much.

We're going to take it to the machinist on Monday and have it tested for leaks. I am going to assume that the head is cracked somewhere behind the cylinders, likely around the exhaust port areas. Does anyone know what the 2 sort of shiny circles at the back side of the head by the exhaust port are? They look like they're almost punched into 2 holes that they cast into the head? I forgot to take a photo of them.

The water leak was significant so I assume there is a large crack back there. Water would almost pool up while the car sat. When starting it after a day or so, about 2oz of water would come out.

I'm pretty sure all of this was from an overheating situation, low coolant level since the pump didn't turn the day before and we neglected to top off the coolant.

Question is, should I go back with a new OEM head or try to go with an aftermarket head?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
what are those for?

am I right in assuming the hottest portion of the head would probably be the exhaust port area?

·
Registered
625 Posts
They are called freeze plugs because they are supposed to pop out if water freezes. In reality they are holes that allow the casting sand to be shook out when they come out of the mold. Since the headifold is water cooled they need to shake the sand out there.

I don't know if they use sand but exchange that word with casting media if you want. Anyone familiar with casting metal knows what I'm talking about.

Wow, just remembered something else, you will see them called core plugs by manufacturers which is their true name. The casting media on the interior of a mold is called a core. See, get the core casting media out of the core holes.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Follow up in case someone searched this.

So I took the head to the machine shop. Guy says its toast, crack on the exhaust port side.

Ordered a new head and shop is going to install.

ill update if we get er running

·
Registered
808 Posts
Where were you leaking from? I have the same issue coolant just drips out while the car is off and just puddles under the car

1 - 14 of 14 Posts