Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I bought a 2014 Focus ST yesterday with 77k miles on it. Everything was great on the test drive. Today there is a terrible clicking noise coming from the engine bay. I’ve read all the clicking noise discussions and I understand this can be a noisy engine. This sound seems problematic though. It’s only on throttle at certain rpms. A loud clicking noise, possibly injectors. Please advise. Thanks!

·
3,116 Posts
That's a rod knock. Your engine is toast.

·
3,116 Posts
Wouldn’t a rod knock be constant and throughout the rpm range?
No, typically loudest at certain engine loads. In this instance, its right where you're applying a light rev. When you're driving you may hear it loudest at the transition between acceleration and deceleration at similar RPM ranges as the video.

·
Super Moderator
9,252 Posts
Hello, I bought a 2014 Focus ST yesterday with 77k miles on it. Everything was great on the test drive. Today there is a terrible clicking noise coming from the engine bay. I’ve read all the clicking noise discussions and I understand this can be a noisy engine. This sound seems problematic though. It’s only on throttle at certain rpms. A loud clicking noise, possibly injectors. Please advise. Thanks!
That is not good at all...what happened between yesterday and today?

Reactions: MtnMan and TurboGT

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
@Joshosu are you still there? This one is interesting to me. Did you buy in a private sale, or from a dealer?

Was it making this noise when you bought it, or did something happen in between that time you purchased it and posted here?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That's definitely not the injectors.

Was this a private sale or dealer?
Used car dealer.
@Joshosu are you still there? This one is interesting to me. Did you buy in a private sale, or from a dealer?

Was it making this noise when you bought it, or did something happen in between that time you purchased it and posted here?
The car wasn’t making any noises when I bought it or they weren’t loud enough to hear. Nothing crazy happened to the car after the time of purchase. I was taking my wife and son for a drive and it started knocking. 😡 I bought it from a used car dealer. I contacted them but it’s unlikely they will help. After all it was an “as is” transaction.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Used car dealer.

The car wasn’t making any noises when I bought it or they weren’t loud enough to hear. Nothing crazy happened to the car after the time of purchase. I was taking my wife and son for a drive and it started knocking. 😡 I bought it from a used car dealer. I contacted them but it’s unlikely they will help. After all it was an “as is” transaction.
Look into your state laws, if there was a known defect with the vehicle and nothing crazy happened after leaving, there may be some form of protection for you. An engine repair is costly. At least start with a diagnostic/leakdown/compression test to see which cylinder is hosed.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Look into your state laws, if there was a known defect with the vehicle and nothing crazy happened after leaving, there may be some form of protection for you. An engine repair is costly. At least start with a diagnostic/leakdown/compression test to see which cylinder is hosed.
A leak down won’t tell him which cylinder is rod knocking. If he stops a cylinder from making power and the noise goes away he will know which rod is knocking but it doesn’t really matter.

And, it’s a used car. Even hardcore consumer protection states will tell him buyer beware.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
A leak down won’t tell him which cylinder is rod knocking. If he stops a cylinder from making power and the noise goes away he will know which rod is knocking but it doesn’t really matter.

And, it’s a used car. Even hardcore consumer protection states will tell him buyer beware.
I figure a compression test will at least tell him whatever else is going on.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the input guys. After further diagnosis it is definitely a major internal failure. I’m looking at long block options. It looks like the dealer may work something out with me. I would be happy if they at least covered half. The state of Oregon has no laws that would help me out with this. However, when a dealer sells a car they have to guarantee it will pass emissions. In this scenario it won’t so they are kind of obligated to help me fix it.

·
Registered
15 TB Focus ST3
485 Posts
Thanks for the input guys. After further diagnosis it is definitely a major internal failure. I’m looking at long block options. It looks like the dealer may work something out with me. I would be happy if they at least covered half. The state of Oregon has no laws that would help me out with this. However, when a dealer sells a car they have to guarantee it will pass emissions. In this scenario it won’t so they are kind of obligated to help me fix it.
What wonderful luck, news. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
I am definitely commiserating with you. These really are great cars (when treated with a little care). My concern with buying enthusiast-type cars used is what they might have been through during previous ownership. If you end up repairing that car- this community is full of smart, knowledgeable enthusiasts, so you will have the support you need to have a good ownership experience.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts