Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I've been noticing a clicking noise when turning the wheel while stopped. It doesn't do it while moving. Also hearing a constant whining noise starting around 40 mph that doesn't change with engine speed or while swerving back and forth. Jacked the car up and I'm not getting any play in the wheel. Trying to decide if it's a wheel bearing or a CV joint, any suggestions?

Here's a video sitting in my driveway turning the wheel: https://youtu.be/GOG5Uy65fIs

·
Registered
651 Posts
Hey guys, I've been noticing a clicking noise when turning the wheel while stopped. It doesn't do it while moving. Also hearing a constant whining noise starting around 40 mph that doesn't change with engine speed or while swerving back and forth. Jacked the car up and I'm not getting any play in the wheel. Trying to decide if it's a wheel bearing or a CV joint, any suggestions?

Here's a video sitting in my driveway turning the wheel: https://youtu.be/GOG5Uy65fIs
Mine is going back to the dealer tomorrow for this exact issue. I can almost guarantee this is a strut bearing.

·
Registered
651 Posts
I'll let you know tomorrow.

·
Registered
388 Posts
I'm almost positive deadlybreakdown is right. It is a common issue that has been happening to some ST's I guess (myself included but I haven't gotten it fixed yet.)

·
Registered
161 Posts
The clicking noise is likely the upper strut bearing/mount. They can also clunk over low-speed bumps. There was a TSB to lube them. Mine had it done, and the clicking is back but only in really hot weather.

·
Registered
380 Posts
wow what are the odds i also have developed the clicking/binding noise while turning the wheel back and forth. i know its the strut bearing and told the dealer and they insisted it was the outer tie rods... they were not loose and i could not hear a peep with a prybar on them while the wheel is being turned. Anyways you can most likely place your hand on the coil spring and have somebody turn the wheel and you will feel it on the bad side. or take a prybar/scewdriver and listen up by the strut mount while an assistant turns the wheel.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts