Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got tsw Bathurst wheels on my car about a month ago and noticed a clicking/popping sound whenever I start and stop. After the wheels I did feal Coilovers and Steeda sway bars and end links. Also a Cobb motor mount. I was hoping this would resolve the issue even though I did not bank on it. This is getting very annoying especially when pulling up around people and they hear a loud pop from what seems like the left front wheel. I’ve checked torque specs on wheels but have not checked torque on suspension but then again it started in between doing the wheels and the suspension and motor mount. To me it almost seems as if it is a transmission mount because once the clutch grabs and starts to transfer power it pops. Please help if anyone has heard of this or had it happen.

·
Administrator
12,628 Posts
I got tsw Bathurst wheels on my car about a month ago and noticed a clicking/popping sound whenever I start and stop. After the wheels I did feal Coilovers and Steeda sway bars and end links. Also a Cobb motor mount. I was hoping this would resolve the issue even though I did not bank on it. This is getting very annoying especially when pulling up around people and they hear a loud pop from what seems like the left front wheel. I’ve checked torque specs on wheels but have not checked torque on suspension but then again it started in between doing the wheels and the suspension and motor mount. To me it almost seems as if it is a transmission mount because once the clutch grabs and starts to transfer power it pops. Please help if anyone has heard of this or had it happen.
This sounds like a CV axle. A bad one.

·
Administrator
12,628 Posts
How bad is that to replace?
Depends on your skill level and available tools.

You still need to troubleshoot the axle to determine that it's faulty.

Go into an empty parking lot. Windows down, no a/c, radio off. Get the car in 1st slow but fully engaged. Turn the wheel, get it in full lock to the right. Do a circle and listen. Now repeat in a left circle and listen.

If you hear rpm dependant clunking, then it's most likely a CV joint. Jack the car up safely, and grab hold of the axle. Wiggle it and spin it, feeling fir excessive play in the joints.

This would confirm a bad CV axle.

Clicking could be other roational parts, so troubleshooting is necessary, not just throwing parts at it.

Reactions: gemery

·
Registered
2 Posts
Depends on your skill level and available tools.

You still need to troubleshoot the axle to determine that it's faulty.

Go into an empty parking lot. Windows down, no a/c, radio off. Get the car in 1st slow but fully engaged. Turn the wheel, get it in full lock to the right. Do a circle and listen. Now repeat in a left circle and listen.

If you hear rpm dependant clunking, then it's most likely a CV joint. Jack the car up safely, and grab hold of the axle. Wiggle it and spin it, feeling fir excessive play in the joints.

This would confirm a bad CV axle.

Clicking could be other roational parts, so troubleshooting is necessary, not just throwing parts at it.
how much play is excessive? like I'm having a similar sound. i jack it up moved the axle. should it be solid? it sort goes in and out a bit?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the same issue. Only makes sound when driving slow or pulling off when cold. Sounds like left front. Tested when car is standing still and not in gear. When moving wheel holding it with both hands quitter past 9 and moving it back to front and front to back, I can hear a cluck. Wonder if it is not play on the drive Shaft. Could this be, as CV's would make the sound even when cold or hot.

·
Premium Member
1,861 Posts
I know this is an old post but I'm having the exact same issue, seems like others have had it too.

I'll update here if and when I find the answer, it doesn't seem like axles to me.

·
Premium Member
1,861 Posts
I think its brakes, I ordered some new rotors and pads, and I'll update you guys once they are in. I had it diagnosed, the mechanic wasn't able to find the issue, but he noted that my front pads were worn down almost all the way, and the backside of my front rotors were very rusty. Seeing as it gets worse when it rains this would make sense.

Couple hard stops seems to buy me a day or so of no noise.

·
Premium Member
1,861 Posts
Just to update everyone, it is not brakes, i replaced them and the noise is still there. My brakes were shot though so I am not mad that I did them.

The good news is that it seems to be getting worse lol, maybe something will explode and the answer will be obvious.

If i had to guess its either the wheel bearing, axle, or a bushing. Could potentially be the steering rack though it is unlikely. .

·
Registered
47 Posts
Just to update everyone, it is not brakes, i replaced them and the noise is still there.

The good news is that it seems to be getting worse lol, maybe something will explode and the answer will be obvious

This sounds really dumb but if you've tested your swaybars/cv axles/ suspensions components, maybe make sure your downpipe is fully tight. My downpipe was getting looser but I'd only hear it in very low rpm's (since the engine would shake). Hitting bumps or revving up would slightly adjust my downpipe so that I wouldn't hear any sounds for a couple hours/days.

If that's not it and a couple hard stops makes the sound go away, I'd get it on a lift and check for any loose components.

·
Premium Member
1,861 Posts
This sounds really dumb but if you've tested your swaybars/cv axles/ suspensions components, maybe make sure your downpipe is fully tight. My downpipe was getting looser but I'd only hear it in very low rpm's (since the engine would shake). Hitting bumps or revving up would slightly adjust my downpipe so that I wouldn't hear any sounds for a couple hours/days.

If that's not it and a couple hard stops makes the sound go away, I'd get it on a lift and check for any loose components.
Not a bad idea, something i had noticed was that my DP will hit my cross member if i accelerate hard from a stop, I'm using the RDC mount and I don't remember ever having this issue before. That's a good idea and something that I think is worth checking out. This is a Cobb DP and doesn't have the middle mount, so all the torque is on the VBand clamp.

It tough because I can only check on the weekends, i need to get out of this stupid apartment

·
Registered
47 Posts
Not a bad idea, something i had noticed was that my DP will hit my cross member if i accelerate hard from a stop, I'm using the RDC mount and I don't remember ever having this issue before. That's a good idea and something that I think is worth checking out. This is a Cobb DP and doesn't have the middle mount, so all the torque is on the VBand clamp.

It tough because I can only check on the weekends, i need to get out of this stupid apartment
Yep, I thought I had something wrong with my suspension (heard a clicking sound in low rpms/ taking off from a red light) and it sounded like it was from right underneath me. Could never figure it out until oneday my midpipe broke loose from my downpipe.

Ahh. Just finished college and will be moving out after a year or so. I'm definitely not looking forward to strict apartments haha

·
Super Moderator
2014 ST3. Garrett Powermax turbo, Thermal Turboback, CPE intercooler, JBR intake, Innovative RMM
4,546 Posts
I'm definitely not looking forward to strict apartments haha
Buy a house outside of town and commute. I can't recommend This enough. You'll have less money in a mortgage and youll actually have equity as well.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts