Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A couple months ago I purchased the cobb cat back exhaust and now just installed a midpipe from cj pony parts (part #DPST4).
Well now my exhaust is rattling and banging around because the midpipe I purchased from them is to long. I called and asked if I can return it they told me unfortunately because the part was installed on the car I can no longer get a re fund. Now keep in mind a professional shop installed the exhaust and they should me how because the midpipe is to long in length it is banging against the cross brace and where the cobb goes over the rear axel. I don't know any other way I could have figured this would happen without installing the parts. I hope someone from CJ pony parts come across this post so they can tell me again how I can spend 1,500 on a defective exhaust, and all I wanted was the money back from the midpipe.

·
Premium Member
1,144 Posts
so you had Focus ST Downpipe Stainless Steel 3" With Catalytic Converter 13-17 installed with your Cobb Catback?
Did they stupidly use the extension pipe it comes with to match it to 2.5" exhaust or something else retarded?
It should match up to any 3" catback without the extension pipe it comes with to fit MBRP/2.5"exhaust.

Sounds like installation error, can anyone here show a side by side pic of the CJ downpipe next to a stock downpipe?

You do mean downpipe right? Because midpipe does not mean downpipe just because there is a catalytic converter attached to it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yes I do mean down pipe no they didn't install the extension piece I still have it in the box. I was thinking it was a shop error as well but i went back and they raised the car and showed me the issues. even the exhaust tips stick out about a half inch more than they did before. i looked everything over and cant see any other explanation. it bolted right up but just forced the cat back to far back. John from cj pony parts told me i will need to cut a section out of the downpipe to make it fit. and yes the 3" stainless steel with cat to a cobb catback.

·
Registered
163 Posts
i wasnt aware that you could buy just a midpipe for this car. if you had a professional shop install it, im surprised they didnt suggest cutting a section out and re-welding it. this is unfortunately what happens sometimes when you mix and match exhaust parts, they dont line up or fit properly.

·
Registered
768 Posts
I would argue that "installed" means installed and actually used/driven. If it had been mine and the shop showed me the problem, I would have stopped right there and had it removed, and then contacted CJ. No company is going to take a return on a catalytic converter that's been cranked up and driven on, so CJ isn't necesssrily being an ass here, IMO. But I do agree if these new downpipe as from them are too long, that needs to be addressed. I would have no faith in the exhaust shop personally. First thing I would have done after getting the stock pipe off was a side by side comparison. If it's long enough to cause the problems you describe, it could have ended right there.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts