Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
New Product ? Cipher Auto Harness Bar

I dont know when they manufactured this harness bar or when its was released and ive searched all arround the net and found no one with this harness bar yet, does anyone here have or had this harness bar in the past ? if so do you like it and how is the fitment, lets start the discussion! :p

http://cipherauto.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=48_108&product_id=599

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Mode of transport Car seat

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Well I contacted cipher directly and they told me its all bolt on, no modification needed and they allready test fitted it to the ST and everything fit with no mods even tho i never seen anyone with past experience with it, I pulled the trigger and bought it, ill be the guinea pig I guess.

I also ordered a 6 point harness (yes I know its can be dangerous and unsafe without a cage and bla bla bla) I may get a 4 point cage in the future so it will be less of a problem after that but for now I will use the harness and harness bar for occasional hotlaps at local racing track

Text Font Line Parallel

there is the fact also that its an economical solution at 225$ USD compared to the only other harness bar ever made by Agency power which is 700$ USD

Ill be posting the instruction when I receive the bar just in case there is modification to make to the actual car because there is nothing anywhere for installation instruction on this exact harness bar as far as I know

Reactions: Rowland2004

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I received it but its winter over where I live and my car is stored until beginning to mid april and only then will I install it so I cant tell on the fitment of the bar and harness yet but once installed ill keep you updated, I ordered a Racequip 6 point harness to install on that bar so well see the fitment

Reactions: UnfocusedST

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
here is the bar and manual, you wont find that anywhere else :p

Furniture Couch Table Sofa bed

Text Font Material property Paper Book

Text Design Paper Material property Font

Newsprint Text Paper Room Photographic paper

Text Newsprint Paper Art

Text Room Book Photography Paper

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
and the lap belt for a harness will bolt to oem location of seatbelt and buckle

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Awesome. Thank you.

Sent from another galaxy.
since my car is stored where I live and was bored I decided to install it today with my RaceQuip 6 point harness, Ill try to explain as good as I can. So the harness bar is a pretty good fit, its not 100% perfect since you have to force it a lil bit upward to bolt the adjustable retaining rod at their minimum height adjustment (youll understand when installing it) but its nothing too hard, just a small hassle. The adjustable rod themself bolt to the oem seat belt pretensioner bolt at the bottom close to the floor on each side, the harness bar come with longuer supplied hardware (bolt) for that (you will discard the oem bolt of the pretensioner and use it later for something else.) Use this same new longuer pretensioner bolt to bolt the left side lap belt + one of the crotch strap belt (I sit on the crotch belt in a V formation since its bolted on each side of the seat) (install order: Bolt, Adjustable rod, crotch belt, lap belt, pretensioner), On the other side (right side of the seat), on the seat itself is the oem buckle that is bolted right there on the seat, unbolt the seat and move it to its side and remove the buckle bolt and discard it, It will be too short to add another harness lap belt & crotch belt on it. What you will do is use one of the seat bolt (its the same grade and threads and its twice as long but shorter than the pretensioner bolt that you discarded earlier which would be too long) and use it to bolt back the oem buckle + the right side lap belt and the right side of the crotch belt (if you use a 6 point of course) (install order: Bolt, oem buckle, lap belt, crotch belt) Now take the bolt from the pretensioner that you discarded earlier to replace the seat bolt that you just took for the oem seat buckles. to finish, the 2 shoulder belts just wrap arround the harness bar and you either pass them inside or outside of the 2 headrest sliders post (I put mine outside because 3 inch width belt when passed inside the headrest sliders post cut my neck when I put them thight so I put them outside of the headrest sliders post, its personal preferance at this point). when you dont want to use the harness you just put the crotch belt in beetween the seat bottom and the seat back, fold each lap belt on each side of the seat and put both lap belt on each side of the seat.

(you either have to use a 4 point harness which is less safe or a 6 point harness with the stock seat since it has no hole for a simple 5 point harness).

Here is some pics, hope you understand as good as I could explain

Vehicle Car Car seat Vehicle door Car seat cover

Auto part Finger

Red Wire Auto part Vehicle door Cable

Auto part Vehicle Car

Red Car Vehicle Footwear Automotive exterior

Red Auto part Seat belt Vehicle door Automotive exterior

Red Car seat Car seat cover Vehicle Car

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Red Car seat

Reactions: UnfocusedST

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
the sub strap mounted like that is at its length limit on both side just good enough for me, its sure the best way is a racing seat with a hole in the bottom mounted to 2 different point under the seat but since its the oem seat its the only way to mount it

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

·
Registered
458 Posts
since my car is stored where I live and was bored I decided to install it today with my RaceQuip 6 point harness, Ill try to explain as good as I can. So the harness bar is a pretty good fit, its not 100% perfect since you have to force it a lil bit upward to bolt the adjustable retaining rod at their minimum height adjustment (youll understand when installing it) but its nothing too hard, just a small hassle. The adjustable rod themself bolt to the oem seat belt pretensioner bolt at the bottom close to the floor on each side, the harness bar come with longuer supplied hardware (bolt) for that (you will discard the oem bolt of the pretensioner and use it later for something else.) Use this same new longuer pretensioner bolt to bolt the left side lap belt + one of the crotch strap belt (I sit on the crotch belt in a V formation since its bolted on each side of the seat) (install order: Bolt, Adjustable rod, crotch belt, lap belt, pretensioner), On the other side (right side of the seat), on the seat itself is the oem buckle that is bolted right there on the seat, unbolt the seat and move it to its side and remove the buckle bolt and discard it, It will be too short to add another harness lap belt & crotch belt on it. What you will do is use one of the seat bolt (its the same grade and threads and its twice as long but shorter than the pretensioner bolt that you discarded earlier which would be too long) and use it to bolt back the oem buckle + the right side lap belt and the right side of the crotch belt (if you use a 6 point of course) (install order: Bolt, oem buckle, lap belt, crotch belt) Now take the bolt from the pretensioner that you discarded earlier to replace the seat bolt that you just took for the oem seat buckles. to finish, the 2 shoulder belts just wrap arround the harness bar and you either pass them inside or outside of the 2 headrest sliders post (I put mine outside because 3 inch width belt when passed inside the headrest sliders post cut my neck when I put them thight so I put them outside of the headrest sliders post, its personal preferance at this point). when you dont want to use the harness you just put the crotch belt in beetween the seat bottom and the seat back, fold each lap belt on each side of the seat and put both lap belt on each side of the seat.

(you either have to use a 4 point harness which is less safe or a 6 point harness with the stock seat since it has no hole for a simple 5 point harness).

Here is some pics, hope you understand as good as I could explain

View attachment 311089
View attachment 311097
View attachment 311105
View attachment 311113
View attachment 311121
View attachment 311129
View attachment 311137
View attachment 311145
I hope this is all for autocross as no respectable HPDE/track day organization would allow this setup. The harness bar is actually a really nice piece, especially for the price; however, using it with the stock seats just doesn't work. Having the shoulder harness outside the headrest could easily result in the them slipping off to the side in an a collision. There is also no safe or even effective way to use 5/6 point anti-sub belts in a seat without holes for it.

For less money, you could have the only legal 4pt harness designed for use with the stock seats, the Schroth Quick Fit. The normal quick fit is $250 and the HANS compatible Quick Fit Pro is $350. These are actually designed to be used with stock seats (seats go through a seat back strength test) and are specifically called out by organizations such as PCA as being the only legal 4pt due to their ASM (anti-submarining) technology. These could still benefit from the harness bar since it would keep the harness pulling straight back rather than down at an angle.

https://www.schrothracing.com/products/quickfit#3366

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
if you read my first poat I allready know everyone is telling me its dangerous and am aware of what im doing, and its just speculation that it could really kill, and yes you can use a 6 point the way I did look at this:

Attachments

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.