Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I am seeking more noise from the back end of my ST, but nothing crazy. I was wondering if any of you have experimented with deleting the stock muffler or replacing it with a high-flow, pass-through muffler to give your ST more volume and what your results/impressions were. Also, stock tubing diameter (I think it's 2.5" IIRC) would help, as well as suggestions for good, pass-through mufflers to use.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
3,733 Posts
Hello everyone,

I am seeking more noise from the back end of my ST, but nothing crazy. I was wondering if any of you have experimented with deleting the stock muffler or replacing it with a high-flow, pass-through muffler to give your ST more volume and what your results/impressions were. Also, stock tubing diameter (I think it's 2.5" IIRC) would help, as well as suggestions for good, pass-through mufflers to use.

Thanks!
A lot of people have done muffler deletes. Look for that and you might find more info.

Reactions: MagneSTic

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A lot of people have done muffler deletes. Look for that and you might find more info.
Thanks, I did do some bouncing around on related threads after using better search terms. It seems like the better route is to chop the resonator out. I think that is the route I will go. I think I still have a 2.5" Vibrant SS resonator in my garage from my Cobalt SS days that would go well in there.

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
Thanks, I did do some bouncing around on related threads after using better search terms. It seems like the better route is to chop the resonator out. I think that is the route I will go. I think I still have a 2.5" Vibrant SS resonator in my garage from my Cobalt SS days that would go well in there.
Plenty of vids on youtube with res delte and muffler delete or both being deleted. It can give you a bit of an idea. I think cutting out the resonator vs the muffler may result in more drone. Just a thought.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I just did the resonator delete earlier this afternoon for $45 at a nearby independent muffler shop. From the videos I've seen, deleting the resonator results in a bit of a deeper tone and some gurgle vs the muffler delete which is a bit higher pitched and smooth. This video gives a decent comparison:

"Drone" is going to be very opinion based. There is a little more exhaust noise in the cabin, but not excessive. Heck, I wanted more noise. :) What is acceptable to me might be intolerable to others, though.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Hello everyone,

Thanks!
Im was running Stock DP with Muffler delete and replaced the resonator with MagnaFlow 12246 Exhaust Muffler, now have a Cobb DP as well. I personally really like the sound of both. With the stock DP and the Magnaflow setup, it was quiet on startup and no drone at all on the highway, but when you got on the gas, a really nice sound. I do have a video of a cold start with a few revs and launch sound as well. Once i edit the video, ill post. Or if you PM me your number i can just text you the video, just make sure to listen on actual speakers, not on mobile device

Reactions: MagneSTic

·
Registered
113 Posts
I just did the resonator delete earlier this afternoon for $45 at a nearby independent muffler shop. From the videos I've seen, deleting the resonator results in a bit of a deeper tone and some gurgle vs the muffler delete which is a bit higher pitched and smooth. This video gives a decent comparison:

"Drone" is going to be very opinion based. There is a little more exhaust noise in the cabin, but not excessive. Heck, I wanted more noise. :) What is acceptable to me might be intolerable to others, though.
i wonder if the gurgle has to do with placement?

·
Registered
70 Posts
I replaced my resonater with a straight pipe and the sound from inside the car is barely noticible, from the outside it has a slightly deeper tone, but nothing impressive. If you plan to do a catless downpipe in the future this might be a good choice. If you plan to stay with stock downpipe than i say opt for a muffler delete to get more sound.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Plenty of vids on youtube with res delte and muffler delete or both being deleted. It can give you a bit of an idea. I think cutting out the resonator vs the muffler may result in more drone. Just a thought.
Totally False!

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Update:

I had my resonator and the 2.25" neck down replaced with all straight pipe.

Om my [email protected]&# does it sound incredible!

I actually just removed my symposer today as I felt it was interfering with hearing how amazing my exhaust sounds. I couldn't be happier.

Thanks for the advice/referrals everyone!

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

1 - 10 of 10 Posts