Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm upgrading to a big turbo on my 2016 ST. My goal is 350 whp. I'm also upgrading the intercooler and was looking at cpe 5.5 along with 3" downpipe and exhaust. Should I go with the 2867 versus the 2860 or would the 2867 be too much? Would also like your inputs on intercooler. I have the stage 1 cobb otf tune now. Btw it's my daily and first build.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,198 Posts
I'm upgrading to a big turbo on my 2016 ST. My goal is 350 whp. I'm also upgrading the intercooler and was looking at cpe 5.5 along with 3" downpipe and exhaust. Should I go with the 2867 versus the 2860 or would the 2867 be too much? Would also like your inputs on intercooler. I have the stage 1 cobb otf tune now. Btw it's my daily and first build.
CPE/Steeda/Depo Racing Intercooler is my recommendation. If you get the 3.5 model it will do just fine, if you get the 5.5 it'll be basically overkill but do even better with a big turbo.

As far as the 2860 vs 2867...you can totally hit 350whp with either one, but without extra fueling and adding e85 fuel to make an E30 tune you probably won't hit it with the 2860 very easy. The 2867 will just barely be 350 with a stage 3 car and good fuel. A lot of people recommend the 2860 for stock fueling as it is "perfect feeling" and isn't overkill while maintaining almost instant spool like our stock turbo, but the 2867 is commonly regarded as the bread and butter turbo (stratified tuning word for word calls it this) as it doesn't have much lag and hits harder and is perfectly efficient with our stock fueling. For your desired goals I would go 2867.

Edit: Others, please add to or confirm what I've said above. A lot of people know more than I do about the larger turbos despite the fact I consider myself comfortable in my beliefs. @SIstomper is quite knowledgeable about the 2860 and some of the guys at Stratified can break down the 2867 pretty well. Read the post by Alex about big turbos, it's a big help. Or just google "Stratified Automotive big turbo Focus ST" and read the article. @Fingerthief you have any input from Strat's side?

·
Registered
344 Posts
CPE/Steeda/Depo Racing Intercooler is my recommendation. If you get the 3.5 model it will do just fine, if you get the 5.5 it'll be basically overkill but do even better with a big turbo.

As far as the 2860 vs 2867...you can totally hit 350whp with either one, but without extra fueling and adding e85 fuel to make an E30 tune you probably won't hit it with the 2860 very easy. The 2867 will just barely be 350 with a stage 3 car and good fuel. A lot of people recommend the 2860 for stock fueling as it is "perfect feeling" and isn't overkill while maintaining almost instant spool like our stock turbo, but the 2867 is commonly regarded as the bread and butter turbo (stratified tuning word for word calls it this) as it doesn't have much lag and hits harder and is perfectly efficient with our stock fueling. For your desired goals I would go 2867.

Edit: Others, please add to or confirm what I've said above. A lot of people know more than I do about the larger turbos despite the fact I consider myself comfortable in my beliefs. @SIstomper is quite knowledgeable about the 2860 and some of the guys at Stratified can break down the 2867 pretty well. Read the post by Alex about big turbos, it's a big help. Or just google "Stratified Automotive big turbo Focus ST" and read the article. @Fingerthief you have any input from Strat's side?
Pretty much exactly what you said.

I went with the 2867r as it also has top end that the 2860 loses out on. If you look at the dyno graphs of 2860's on 93 only they always fall flat at about 5500rpm so a bit higher than stock turbo but still a flat spot none the less. The 2867r pulls all the way to redline and the lag is very mininal, especially if you are at around 3000rpm when you go flat out.

·
Registered
484 Posts
2867 will get you to 350 with 93. You're probably going have to use WMI or e30 to get there with the 2860. Nice thing about the 2867 is it has enough headroom to max out the stock motor to a bit over 400. If you decide later (as I did) to add aux fuel the 2867 gives you that extra room for improvement. As far as lag, I don't find the 2867 any appreciable amount worse than the K03. Just a tiny bit you can notice, but easily outweighed by the added power, and the 67 pulls all the way to redline.

For those reasons I'd recommend the 2867

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
272 Posts
2867 will get you to 350 with 93. You're probably going have to use WMI or e30 to get there with the 2860. Nice thing about the 2867 is it has enough headroom to max out the stock motor to a bit over 400. If you decide later (as I did) to add aux fuel the 2867 gives you that extra room for improvement. As far as lag, I don't find the 2867 any appreciable amount worse than the K03. Just a tiny bit you can notice, but easily outweighed by the added power, and the 67 pulls all the way to redline.

For those reasons I'd recommend the 2867

When it comes to drivability, if one was more interested in keeping the low end punchiness of the K03 than hitting high numbers, would you still recommend the 67? Or is the lag minimal enough that you would still be able to keep it as a canyon carver as opposed to a highway racer? I keep hearing about people going BT then being upset because they "ruined" their car by drastically changing the driving characteristics.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,198 Posts
When it comes to drivability, if one was more interested in keeping the low end punchiness of the K03 than hitting high numbers, would you still recommend the 67? Or is the lag minimal enough that you would still be able to keep it as a canyon carver as opposed to a highway racer? I keep hearing about people going BT then being upset because they "ruined" their car by drastically changing the driving characteristics.
With the .64 housing, it can totally still function as a canyon carver. Get a .86 though and no...it will lag enough to annoy you and ruin drivability a lot. .64 housing still reaches 20psi before/at 3k rpm and peaks just a small amount later. .86 is for top end so expect a 3-400rpm lag difference from the .64

If you really want a true canyon carver and you don't care about numbers then the 60 is perfect. Just don't expect 325+ numbers without adding stuff that make it a little more involved. @SIstomper had the 60 and intended to make a true canyon carver and made a hell of a perfect one and made good power too. He's the Disco Potato (2860 nickname) king

·
Registered
484 Posts
I really don't track my car and there are no canyons here in FL, so I'll leave that opinion up to some one more informed.

With my car as long as you keep the rpms at 3k or above, there's really no noticeable lag. I have the Speed By Design red series (2867 equiv with .64).

I do drive my car pretty hard normally, but I don't do a lot of corner exits and such, only during normal spirited driving (on ramps and the occasional twisty road).

I can honestly say for what I use my car for its perfect and I wouldn't change a thing. I do think that if I had gone with the 2860 i would have regretted not having the additional top end punch that the 67 has. If I spent a considerable amount of time at the track or canyon i might feel different, BUT if you do you're going to run into traction problems on corner exits. I would assume even the 2860 would encounter this. Sticky tires may solve it completely, but again im sure someone here has a BT and has run race tires, and can talk to this.

Reactions: brian60

·
Registered
77 Posts
One day I might be interested in a BT so I'm curious. I noticed stratified also offers a gtx 2863R. Is that a nice in between? Still fast spool like stock with some more top end? I love to have the low end pull for canyons but 350 WHP and an LSD for straightaways

Edit: 93 pump gas full Stage 3 mods...too lazy for e30

·
Registered
272 Posts
With the .64 housing, it can totally still function as a canyon carver. Get a .86 though and no...it will lag enough to annoy you and ruin drivability a lot. .64 housing still reaches 20psi before/at 3k rpm and peaks just a small amount later. .86 is for top end so expect a 3-400rpm lag difference from the .64

If you really want a true canyon carver and you don't care about numbers then the 60 is perfect. Just don't expect 325+ numbers without adding stuff that make it a little more involved. @SIstomper had the 60 and intended to make a true canyon carver and made a hell of a perfect one and made good power too. He's the Disco Potato (2860 nickname) king
****in lol, Disco Potato. Thanks for the perspectives guys!

Reactions: brian60

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,198 Posts
Ahhh ok got it. New to actually trying to learn about turbos

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
An exciting world to get into, I knew nothing about them when I first got my car. Read, read, and read. By the time you're ready for a big turbo you'll know a plethora of info and have no problem making your choice to suit your goals. :cool:

·
Registered
484 Posts
Ahhh ok got it. New to actually trying to learn about turbos

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
This is my first boosted car too, it's a very interesting aspect. I wasn't planning on going BT, but I'm so glad I did, it really transforms the car into a competitor, and fun to drive doesn't do it justice. Super interesting to learn about too, Stratified Auto has amazing tech articles on so many subjects on this platform, check them out.

https://www.stratifiedauto.com/index.php?main_page=page&id=20&zenid=b1ijnf565g15v9mp6i7al8o6l3

Reactions: brian60 and kg93
1 - 14 of 14 Posts