Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello all,

I recently just got a 2017 ST, and it currently only has ~700 miles on it. I live in the North East US, and currently our weather has been pretty cold. Ever since these even colder temperatures, the car has been making a very faint squeak sound after shifts when you accelerate again (single chirp). It didn't before it got colder. I looked for other posts on it but only found people talking about specific gears/shifter or the clutch pedal itself. This happens in every gear until the car gets warmed up to about normal operating temperature. At least I can't hear it anymore. Any thoughts? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
358 Posts
This is incredibly common and in my experience is exacerbated by the cold temps. I have a CP-E Cold Air Intake and it chirps like crazy when shifting especially when the car is COLD. I haven't had the stock airbox installed during this ultra cold streak, but can imagine you could even hear the chirps with the stocker with these temps. Just to reiterate, my aftermarket air intake chirps most of the time but chirps WAY LOUDER when the car is cold.

·
Premium Member
1,152 Posts
I have heard intake chirps a lot if I'm accelerating just right, while putting around. For me it's an intake/turbo sound. The first couple times it happened I was like 'wtf was that' but then I figured out I could reproduce it at will with throttle.

Reactions: BCE22

·
Registered
24 Posts
I’m up in the northeast as well (my first winter driving outside of California), and I’ve definitely noticed some weird stuff with the gears as well. My problem is more that they feel like they’re locking up when I go to shift, especially going back into first at a stop sign or something like that. I think it’s just something to do with the cold—temperatures outside the norm, extremely high and extremely low, wreak havoc on everything from your car to your phone to yourself. Think about how you’d dress differently in the cold weather: your car wants to do that as well, but doesn’t really have that option aside from just warming up for a couple minutes.

·
Registered
407 Posts
I don't have chirps but in this cold (I'm in North East Ohio) my shifting gets a lot stiffer. Like it hesitates for a split second before engaging gears. I've read a lot of strange things from the extreme cold, all the metal is contracting and fluids are very viscous. I don't think it's anything to be too concerned about, especially if it goes away once everything warms up.

·
Premium Member
1,174 Posts
Cold shifts suck, especially in this ultra cold weather. Mine is really finicky until it warms up.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,194 Posts
I have heard intake chirps a lot if I'm accelerating just right, while putting around. For me it's an intake/turbo sound. The first couple times it happened I was like 'wtf was that' but then I figured out I could reproduce it at will with throttle.
Same, I get that a lot usually when I'm accelerating gently...almost sounds like the air is having some backpressure though and not too much like chirps.. sounds badass though so :cool:

Cold shifts suck, especially in this ultra cold weather. Mine is really finicky until it warms up.
Yeah this week my car has felt like dog feces every morning. Today was the warmest morning at 18*F...I'm ready to up and move away lol

·
Registered
463 Posts
In Texas it's been below freezing for the last week and I've heard this lovely noise as well.

To explain, the chirping noise is the recirculation valve's pressure release noise (Stock Plumbed-back Blow Off Valve). It's probably the denser air and a slightly slower response and causing a more noticeable noise than usual. Personally, I like the noise. :)

·
Super Moderator
9,548 Posts
Get some Motul DCTF; works well in all conditions. Makes nice smooth shifts.

·
Registered
651 Posts
I can second this. I couldn't believe the difference when I swapped to Motul DCTF. I replaced it at 30k on my last ST and this one has 1,000 miles and already has Motul. Everyone should do it.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,194 Posts
In Texas it's been below freezing for the last week and I've heard this lovely noise as well.

To explain, the chirping noise is the recirculation valve's pressure release noise (Stock Plumbed-back Blow Off Valve). It's probably the denser air and a slightly slower response and causing a more noticeable noise than usual. Personally, I like the noise. :)
Indeed, and it doesn't happen with only the stock valve. If I didn't build enough or I didn't let off the gas quick enough that my Boomba BOV releases, it makes this sound from the air going back through and causing some backpressure. It's quite a cool sound!

I can second this. I couldn't believe the difference when I swapped to Motul DCTF. I replaced it at 30k on my last ST and this one has 1,000 miles and already has Motul. Everyone should do it.
I can't wait to finally get this done. I have Motul fluid on order and I'm at 52k so I know I definitely could benefit from it. I'm impatiently waiting to get it done

·
Registered
651 Posts
Indeed, and it doesn't happen with only the stock valve. If I didn't build enough or I didn't let off the gas quick enough that my Boomba BOV releases, it makes this sound from the air going back through and causing some backpressure. It's quite a cool sound!

I can't wait to finally get this done. I have Motul fluid on order and I'm at 52k so I know I definitely could benefit from it. I'm impatiently waiting to get it done
Dude wait till you see how nasty your old fluid is. Fords recommended interval is a joke. I'll replace every 30k at the highest.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,194 Posts
Dude wait till you see how nasty your old fluid is. Fords recommended interval is a joke. I'll replace every 30k at the highest.
Oh I guarantee you it's garbage. My shifting is so obviously less smooth than it used to be. It makes me mad, I couldn't imaging DOUBLING my current mileage on this fluid. I wouldn't be able to shift at all if I did that at this rate lol. I drove a 2016 RS and was like wow...this is butter being so new compared to mine. And I know damn well that the shifters feel identical..so I really need to get on it.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Oh I guarantee you it's garbage. My shifting is so obviously less smooth than it used to be. It makes me mad, I couldn't imaging DOUBLING my current mileage on this fluid. I wouldn't be able to shift at all if I did that at this rate lol. I drove a 2016 RS and was like wow...this is butter being so new compared to mine. And I know damn well that the shifters feel identical..so I really need to get on it.
It's really an easy job. Should take you 30 minutes at most, although I know you're probably a bit cold lol.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,194 Posts
It's really an easy job. Should take you 30 minutes at most, although I know you're probably a bit cold lol.
Yeah that's the big issue right now. Freezing my ass off somewhere to take time to do it lol

1 - 16 of 16 Posts