Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a pretty much stock focus st3 and I really like the way that the pre-facelift models look with chin/side splitters but only dilemma is I live in Colorado and I don't want to buy something that will get destroyed by the snow. So my question is; how do these parts generally hold up against the snow? If anyone has any experience in this it will be much appreciate! Thanks in advance.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
9,548 Posts
Chin splitter vs. Snow...snow wins...

I have the Cup Spoilers and I take them off for the winter.

Reactions: XR_1200 and brian60

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
If you are deal with a lot of snow and absolutely want something on the front end, the Mountune chin spoiler extends the middle section of the bumper without really going lower than the factory bumper. I say "really going" as it technically goes under the factory bumper for the thickness of the plastic rim, but we are talking about a tiny amount.

If you plan on driving through a lot of snow, I would probably opt for a skid plate before spending money on aesthetics. I have one from Skid Plate Guy and it is a nice piece.

Reactions: XR_1200

·
Premium Member
2,023 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,211 Posts
Just take it off in the winter. My Triple R is held on with 6 bolts. Or do what I do--buy a 1995 Subaru Legacy wagon and put your ST in storage. Best $1300 I've ever spent on my ST!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you are deal with a lot of snow and absolutely want something on the front end, the Mountune chin spoiler extends the middle section of the bumper without really going lower than the factory bumper. I say "really going" as it technically goes under the factory bumper for the thickness of the plastic rim, but we are talking about a tiny amount.

If you plan on driving through a lot of snow, I would probably opt for a skid plate before spending money on aesthetics. I have one from Skid Plate Guy and it is a nice piece.
Pardon my ignorance by why a solid plate?

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
To protect the underside of the engine (mostly the oil pan). The factory felt pad is not going to do much if you clip a rock or large chunk of ice with the bottom of the engine. I purchased one after lowering the car primarily to avoid dragging the oil pan on steep driveways. I made the suggestion as I assume you are asking about the splitter versus snow since you plan on driving the car in winter. I also assume Colorado winter is significantly harsher than the Indiana winter that I am used too. I am sure plenty of people drive safely without them, but to me it is a cheap insurance against damage.

·
Registered
63 Posts
depends on the pack of the snow. mine is bolted in and double sided taped really nice. it's also super nice carbon fiber. but even that can get broken if you hit a decent enough chunk. Just normal driving after snow is just gonna fill your grill and plow the snow for the people behind you. just have to be careful and vigilant.

but why risk it just pull it off for winter and put it back on in spring.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
To protect the underside of the engine (mostly the oil pan). The factory felt pad is not going to do much if you clip a rock or large chunk of ice with the bottom of the engine. I purchased one after lowering the car primarily to avoid dragging the oil pan on steep driveways. I made the suggestion as I assume you are asking about the splitter versus snow since you plan on driving the car in winter. I also assume Colorado winter is significantly harsher than the Indiana winter that I am used too. I am sure plenty of people drive safely without them, but to me it is a cheap insurance against damage.
How okay yeah we get some knarly snow storms here and yes it my daily. Okay I'll look into it thank you for the suggestion!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts