Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm building a little Marine ST. I'm going to make it as hardy as possible, willing to drive through anything, fast as hell but not completely focused on speed, more of an endurance all-condition racer/courier. I am hoping to MAKE and DIY as much of these coming mods as possible.

Current mods:

Cobb intake
Tune to 93 (was done before me and I don't know how to find out exactly what tune)
Boomba bov (pss)shhhhh
Up to 25 psi
Straight piped from the cat back
JRB solid steel rmm
JRB 80 durometer passenger MM
K/N filter with ducting to the fog light for air (and plenty of whistling from the turbo)
breather filter where the hose into the intake used to be and the inlet on the intake pipe sealed off

Coming mods (under consideration):
-Windshield washer remounted to spray the brakes when hot.
-rear glass sprayer mounted to spray the intercooler and/or turbo with water during WOT
-Full tranny rebuild with wpc treated gears
-Brembos
-FMIC
-engine rebuild with forged internals
-oil cooler
-race radiator
-block warmer
-chassis bracing
-hood vents
-brake cooling ducts
-skid plates
-aerodynamic snorkel
-air-bagged suspension for adjustments to adapt to snow, trailer-pulling, gravel/dirt, etc...
-tranny cooler
-auxillary fuel rail to port injection, for giving the stock turbo what it needs to make power past 5k rpm, and to keep the valves clean, that will only engage after 5k rpm.

·
Registered
698 Posts
RAH!

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
-Windshield washer remounted to spray the brakes when hot.
-rear glass sprayer mounted to spray the turbo with water during WOT
Im not so sure on these two... spraying the brakes or the turbo, youd need a very fine mist or id be worried about thermally shocking them if hitting with a stream. I am not sure if the stock washer could pressure a mist like that. I would focus on more traditional cooling techniques

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Im not so sure on these two... spraying the brakes or the turbo, youd need a very fine mist or id be worried about thermally shocking them if hitting with a stream. I am not sure if the stock washer could pressure a mist like that. I would focus on more traditional cooling techniques
Yeah, I've decided to run meth un-tuned instead, to keep things cool and clean (thanks @nickbaldwin86 ), and also...

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So. I've installed a symposer delete and my car runs WAY more steady. It never stalls now (I thought it was my technique), it idles SMOOTH, and when I shift gears the things jumps rpms just a HAIR, which helps the next gear hook. Do ST's have easy shifting stock from the factory? Mine does... anyway, also installed another solid mount, because the passenger side blew dark smelly bullsh// all over my engine bay. I built an air dam, because the bottom of my front bumper got shatter by a highway cone base (black at night). I also deleted the muffler and resonator. This and more, I will be posting lots and lots of pictures on how I've handled it all, and what it all looks like and works like. Oh, also I'm making a catch can out of pvc because I'm poor.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So, list of incoming diy mods and repairs:
-Garden edging air damn
-Pvc (made of pvc, not a typo) catch can
-Symposer-to-catch can conversion (it basically is one anyway)
-Streamlined engine bay cleaning
-custom wooden hatch-bay floor
-custom mesh undercarriage/wheel-well guard
-Meth. Meth. Meth. Methmethmeth.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

So... I want my car to pull efficiently at the low rpm range. I used to see 45mpg average while cruising at 75 mph on the freeway... now it's barely 30, every since I deleted the res and muffler. My exhaust pipe is a frankenstein, and so this week I'm having the muffler shop fit a straight solid pupe from the cat to the bumper, and I'm considering 3", but I don't need to aim for the 5-10 hp gain at top end, I need to aim for efficiency at 0-100 mph. Should I have him do a 2.5" pipe? Add a restriction somewhere? Maybe I should just throw the stock system back on...

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I guess the real question is: how do I retain a low burbly rumble while maintaining a steady flow of exhaust?

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
I'm running a 2 and 1/2 in exhaust with dual resonators. And with a stage 3 93 tune I average 27 MPG driving like an ass. I can easily see 40 miles per gallon cruising on the highway.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm running a 2 and 1/2 in exhaust with dual resonators. And with a stage 3 93 tune I average 27 MPG driving like an ass. I can easily see 40 miles per gallon cruising on the highway.
So, if I mount up a 2.5" straight pipe from the cat back, I should be able to get my efficiency. What do the dual resonators sound like? Got a video?

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
So, if I mount up a 2.5" straight pipe from the cat back, I should be able to get my efficiency. What do the dual resonators sound like? Got a video?
[/QUOTE

I don't but I'm running to seeing TV to 2 and 1/2 inch cat back. It's a great deal for the money. All 304 stainless steel dual resonator with twin 4 inch tips. Sounds much better than stock. And no drone at all with the stock downpipe. I'm not running it with a Depot 100 cell catted downpipe. And there's a little bit of drone on the highway but it's honestly not that bad at all I can easily turn my radio up to about 10 and drowned it out. I believe it's under $400 great deal.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
I don't but I'm running to seeing TV to 2 and 1/2 inch cat back. It's a great deal for the money. All 304 stainless steel dual resonator with twin 4 inch tips. Sounds much better than stock. And no drone at all with the stock downpipe. I'm not running it with a Depot 100 cell catted downpipe. And there's a little bit of drone on the highway but it's honestly not that bad at all I can easily turn my radio up to about 10 and drowned it out. I believe it's under $400 great deal.
[/QUOT
CNT

CNT v2

1 - 13 of 13 Posts