·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2013 Ford Focus ST
62,000 Miles
FBO/Stage 3 - Custom Stratified Tune 93

Symptoms:
- CEL (Engine Fault Service Soon - No codes saved )
- Rough Idle
- RPM Hunting
- Stalling
- Weird AFR Readings

Twice now I have had the CEL come on saying "Engine Fault Service Soon", car gets into a really rough idle but as soon as I turn it off and back on everything is fine. No codes stored or anything which is very confusing.
Since this has started to happen I have noticed other issues as well such as rough idle, rpm hunting, stalling, odd AFR readings.
Sounds like your typical engine harness TSB, right? Well Ford says my VIN is not one that qualifies for the TSB.
I figured I would take a weekend and do the TSB myself in hopes that will fix the issues but I haven't had time due to business trips.

Biggest issues right now are the odd AFR and RPMs dropping when coming to a stop or anytime the engine goes back to idle, whether AC is on or off.
AFR numbers are all over the place, at least in my opinion.
At idle they will jump from 13.2-15 but generally stay between 14.5-14.9 which seems normal.
During cruising I see them go from ~13.6-16, which again seems to be okay although Id prefer to see something without such a large variance.
The weird part about this is when hitting DFCO (in gear off gas above 1.5k RPM). I expect to see 14-16 for a second after letting off the gas in gear and then lean all the way out. But.. my AFR will go rich when in gear off gas quite a bit, like low 11s to mid 13s and they will hold 5-10 seconds. After getting back on the gas the exhaust will pop. When this is going on I notice that the engine has a hard time idling and usually will stall out. Two days ago I watched the AFR hit 9.5 while in gear off gas which does not seem right at all.
Even without a "Crackle and Pop" tune I still get pops, nothing like what I do when running a tune with that turned on but I still get pops.
Coming to a stop or shifting to neutral it seems like the computer cannot catch the engine in time and it bogs down or stalls out. I am having to constantly give the gas pedal a stab or two to keep the revs from dying.

When I am experiencing this I can usually fix it for 5-10 minutes by going WOT for a couple of seconds and everything will settle down, no rough idle, no stalling, no crazy AFR numbers.

Decided today that I would test to see if its the tune. Switched to Cobb Stage 3 93 and still same issue but seems to be a little better, maybe Im going crazy though.
I was able to grab a datalog of what was going on -> https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/17fToYrdcha2vov5c7ww95UOkB36APjszrAFqv8nWu-E/edit?usp=sharing

At this point I feel like it might be the harness, possibly O2 sensor dying, or maybe injectors?

If anyone has any information as to what this could be I am all ears as Im ready to trade in the FoST due to it being a pain in the ass to drive now. I really dont want to trade it in as I love this car so much, but I dont want to get stuck with bigger issues :(

·
Registered
2017 Ford Focus ST
682 Posts
2013 Ford Focus ST
62,000 Miles

Symptoms:
- Rough Idle
- RPM Hunting
- Stalling
- Weird AFR Readings

Twice now I have had the CEL come on saying "Engine Fault Service Soon", car gets into a really rough idle but as soon as I turn it off and back on everything is fine. No codes stored or anything which is very confusing.
Since this has started to happen I have noticed other issues as well such as rough idle, rpm hunting, stalling, odd AFR readings.
Sounds like your typical engine harness TSB, right? Well Ford says my VIN is not one that qualifies for the TSB.
I figured I would take a weekend and do the TSB myself in hopes that will fix the issues but I haven't had time due to business trips.

Biggest issues right now are the odd AFR and RPMs dropping when coming to a stop or anytime the engine goes back to idle, whether AC is on or off.
At idle they will jump from 13.2-15 but generally stay between 14.5-14.9 which seems normal.
During cruising I see them go from ~13.6-16, which again seems to be okay although Id prefer to see something without such a large variance.
The weird part about this is when hitting DFCO (in gear off gas above 1.5k RPM). I expect to see 14-16 for a second after letting off the gas in gear and then lean all the way out. But.. my AFR will go rich when in gear off gas quite a bit, like low 11s to mid 13s and they will hold 5-10 seconds. After getting back on the gas the exhaust will pop. When this is going on I notice that the engine has a hard time idling and usually will stall out. Two days ago I watched the AFR hit 9.5 while in gear off gas which does not seem right at all.
Even without a "Crackle and Pop" tune I still get pops, nothing like what I do when running a tune with that turned on but I still get pops.
Coming to a stop or shifting to neutral it seems like the computer cannot catch the engine in time and it bogs down or stalls out. I am having to constantly give the gas pedal a stab or two to keep the revs from dying.

When I am experiencing this I can usually fix it for 5-10 minutes by going WOT for a couple of seconds and everything will settle down, no rough idle, no stalling, no crazy AFR numbers.

Decided today that I would test to see if its the tune. Switched to Cobb Stage 3 93 and still same issue but seems to be a little better, maybe Im going crazy though.
I was able to grab a datalog of what was going on -> https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/17fToYrdcha2vov5c7ww95UOkB36APjszrAFqv8nWu-E/edit?usp=sharing

At this point I feel like it might be the harness, possibly O2 sensor dying, or maybe injectors?

If anyone has any information as to what this could be I am all ears as Im ready to trade in the FoST due to it being a pain in the ass to drive now. I really dont want to trade it in as I love this car so much, but I dont want to get stuck with bigger issues :(
Are you running an oiled air filter? Pull your MAF sensor and see if it is oily, if so clean it with special sensor safe clear or just replace it, if it persists, it could be something like the harness or even a faulty ecu.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2017 Ford Focus ST
682 Posts
Could also be clogged injectors, if they are clogged, check your fuel filter, would also be a good time to pull your plugs and gap them and make sure there isnt excessive carbon build up, if so, replace them. All these thing should help the issue if not rule it out as a mechanical fault, then you would have to worry about more expensive parts like i mentioned before

·
Registered
5,878 Posts
Are you running an oiled air filter? Pull your MAF sensor and see if it is oily, if so clean it with special sensor safe clear or just replace it, if it persists, it could be something like the harness or even a faulty ecu.

Focus ST does not have a MAF sensor

Could also be clogged injectors, if they are clogged, check your fuel filter, would also be a good time to pull your plugs and gap them and make sure there isnt excessive carbon build up, if so, replace them. All these thing should help the issue if not rule it out as a mechanical fault, then you would have to worry about more expensive parts like i mentioned before

Focus ST does not have a serviceable fuel filter it is a non service item attached to the in tank fuel pump.

·
Registered
5,878 Posts
2013 Ford Focus ST
62,000 Miles

Symptoms:
- Rough Idle
- RPM Hunting
- Stalling
- Weird AFR Readings

Just a couple things to help troubleshoot:
Does this issue happen more often immediately following a fuel up?
Have you been able to retrieve any code from the vehicle at all?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I havent noticed it happening more or less depending on filling up. Some days, its ****ing perfect and has 0 issues... Other days, like today, constant issues.
I feel like it happens more often with weather, high humidity and heat but that might just be trying to make connections wherever.

I have yet to find a single code on the Accessport

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Plugs were just changed 2 months ago. When I pulled them out they were at ~.04 and the new ones are at .026

·
Registered
39 Posts
You should check if your vehicle was included in the recall. Some unlucky folks (myself included) found themselves with vehicles not listed as part the recall but still had the same symptoms. You're left with doing it yourself, paying out of pocket for the repair at a dealership or independent mechanic, or getting ford service involved.

Best part is, you'll notice in the thread, a few folks reported after the recall it still didn't resolve their idle/stalling issue. A few crafty owners investigated further claimed that the other splices (5 in total I think) in the harness also need to be redone. The ones that did this seemed to report good results, however Ford has no stance on that one.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Just a couple things to help troubleshoot:
A little update. Today i got the Engine Fault Service Soon and there was a code P0108. I bought some QD Electronic Cleaner, going to try to clean the MAP sensor on the intake and hopefully that will fix this issue. TIP Desired Max is between 51 and 56 psia not real sure what that that is but I saw on a different thread they were asking TIP Desired Max

UPDATE: Cleaned all three MAP sensors, intake, manifold, intercooler. TIP Desired Max as dropped to ~38, Accessport is showing 34-42.
After doing some reading it looks like TIP Desired Max is something that the tuner would set. Still not sure why it changed from 50s to high 30s

UPDATE: I decided I would attempt to dig into the harness before the storm hits. I was only able to do 2 of the splices but I believe these are the two listed in the TSB. I did notice 2 other purple wires that looked to be spliced but only had 1 wire in 1 wire out. Not sure what that is about. Once the storm passes Ill continue to dig through the lower portion of the harness to see if I can get the other 5 splices finished. So far I couldnt get it to reproduce any issue during another 10 mile trip. Maybe this is all my car needed *fingers crossed*

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
2013 focus st, my car did the stallingbthing one time. Was going tp do the splice myself cause i dont like going to the dealer. It never did it again. Had warranty work done and the tech broke my hood latch sensor and didnt tighten my charge pipe causing a boost leak

·
Registered
386 Posts
Got my spark plugs changed last november. Car didn`t feel right afterward and there was a lumpy idle, steady but still kind of a misfire on idle, no codes. Car also felt a bit lethargic at wot.
Pulled the plugs and sure enough, one had a hairline crack up the length of the ceramic insulator. Probably because of overtorque, changed the plug and all was well.

·
Registered
39 Posts
So far I couldnt get it to reproduce any issue during another 10 mile trip. Maybe this is all my car needed *fingers crossed*
Hopefully you're right. Give it a solid week or better yet two weeks of driving. For me, sometimes the car would be solid 3-4 days in a row then have a really bad day of stalling and watching idle fluctuating like hell.

·
Registered
34 Posts
So far I couldnt get it to reproduce any issue during another 10 mile trip. Maybe this is all my car needed *fingers crossed*
Hopefully you're right. Give it a solid week or better yet two weeks of driving. For me, sometimes the car would be solid 3-4 days in a row then have a really bad day of stalling and watching idle fluctuating like hell.
Hopefully you'll be luckier than me, I had similar symptoms and ended up with a bad purge valve on the evap system to replace. P1450 code.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
UPDATE: Its been a little over 2 weeks since I repaired two of the upper splices. I have yet to see the car stumble like it used to. There has been 1-3 times that the car has bogged down, maybe to 500-650 rpm, with the AC on max but nothing major. Im almost confident in saying this has fixed my issues completely! It is a huge relief as I was ready to sell the car in frustration but Im back to loving it just as I did before these issues became problematic!

·
Premium Member
487 Posts
UPDATE: Its been a little over 2 weeks since I repaired two of the upper splices. I have yet to see the car stumble like it used to. There has been 1-3 times that the car has bogged down, maybe to 500-650 rpm, with the AC on max but nothing major. Im almost confident in saying this has fixed my issues completely! It is a huge relief as I was ready to sell the car in frustration but Im back to loving it just as I did before these issues became problematic!
Hopefully this will be the only splices you need to replace. I ended up doing all of them. Not as bad as you would think, just a few hours and I am no electrician. I went through the entire thread and did a cliff notes and clarified some of the wiring which may be of help. Also SiStomper had another thread on the battery grounds. You should look into it. Some members did the 2 splices and were good for about a month or so and then it came slowly back. If so consider all the splices and battery grounds. http://www.focusst.org/forum/focus-...-randomly-stalling-idling-wierd-read-249.html

Best of luck to you.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hopefully this will be the only splices you need to replace. I ended up doing all of them. Not as bad as you would think, just a few hours and I am no electrician. I went through the entire thread and did a cliff notes and clarified some of the wiring which may be of help. Also SiStomper had another thread on the battery grounds. You should look into it. Some members did the 2 splices and were good for about a month or so and then it came slowly back. If so consider all the splices and battery grounds. http://www.focusst.org/forum/focus-...-randomly-stalling-idling-wierd-read-249.html

Best of luck to you.

Thank you for that. I actually used your PDF to do the splices and also ran a second ground from under the airbox. I had your PDF up the entire time I was tearing into the harness haha

·
Premium Member
487 Posts
Thank you for that. I actually used your PDF to do the splices and also ran a second ground from under the airbox. I had your PDF up the entire time I was tearing into the harness haha
I wish I could take credit but simply an organizer for everyone else's great information. Glad your issues were cleared up.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts