Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 1722 Posts

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
2015 ST1 with 4800 miles on it.

This past Monday night, I filled up my gas tank with a fresh tank of 93 from BP. On Tuesday morning, I walked out to my car, started it and was instantly greeted with a CEL. Odd. Car drove fine. I drove to work (8 miles) and as I was walking away from the car, I noticed that the fuel door wasn't fully pressed in. OOPS! There's my problem right there. I clicked it shut and figured the code would disappear.

Well, it's now Wednesday and about 80 miles later and the CEL is still on. Just now, I drove to Autozone to have it read.

P0300 - misfire detected, random cylinders
p0302 - misfire detected, cylinder number 2

That's not cool.

As far as I can tell, the car drives fine. I say "as far as I can tell" because the temperature has been in the 90s and I've been driving it in traffic, with the AC cranked so it's not like I've had any opportunity to really open it up. Just around town, it feels fine.

PROBLEM:

Both of my local Ford dealers (I drove to one and then called another) are telling me the soonest they can look at my car is NEXT Thursday August 6th. That's really not good. I'm incredibly frustrated because I don't want to keep driving this thing if I'm causing damage.

Any recommendations/experience from you fine educated Focus ST folks?

EDIT:

So, 21 months later (548 days total with 58 days spent at the dealership), my car never got fixed (despite multiple tries) and Ford ended up buying back the vehicle and replacing it with a brand new one, free of charge. The entire process was nothing less than a nightmare of car ownership that I would not wish on anybody.

Here's a link to that update:

http://www.focusst.org/forum/focus-...an-t-get-service-post1479610.html#post1479610

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
I'd have it cleared and then drive to see if it's fine.

It could've been the fuel door.

·
Registered
292 Posts
The fuel door won't cause a code, or a misfire. The little flapper that is part of the capped system will, but it would be evap, not misfires.

Could have been some funky gas... Base engine, ignition problems... Hard to say. If you don't feel it, or the engine lamp isnt flashing, it "probably" isn't going to cause caytalist damage... But I wouldn't clear anything. Because you will remove and info the dealer will need. Get it to them as soon as they will allow it.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The fuel door won't cause a code, or a misfire. The little flapper that is part of the capped system will, but it would be evap, not misfires.

Could have been some funky gas... Base engine, ignition problems... Hard to say. If you don't feel it, or the engine lamp isnt flashing, it "probably" isn't going to cause caytalist damage... But I wouldn't clear anything. Because you will remove and info the dealer will need. Get it to them as soon as they will allow it.
Thanks.

Agree about the fuel door.

I took the car out last night in the cool evening weather without the ac on and went for a quiet drive. It drives just fine. I kept it under 4k rpms and it runs the way it always has.

The good news is that I found a local dealer that can see me this afternoon.

I'll update this thread once I find out more.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I'm having the same codes appear on and off, so far nothing the dealer has replaced did help me.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
ive hand the same issue before i cleared it and it went away. My issue was if you ever notice there is a hesitation between 1500 to 1900 rpm which even with the latest ecu update is still there. That is causing random misfire.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Also I'd recommend to check that your grill shutters are all open when the car is off.

The motor actuates only one shutter blade; the rest move via a center vertical connection bar that easily breaks/comes undone, leaving only 1/4 of the shutters open, or just the one blade.

The shutters open fully when the car is turned off. When the ignition is turned on, the shutters go through a self-calibration motion and close -- until the car warms up sufficiently to cause the ECU to (attempt to) open them in varying degrees.

So, if the shutters are closed when the car is parked and turned off, the car will get quite warm as the shutters will never open, and in combination with marginal gas, that can sometimes cause a misfire.

Hope that helps,
Mark

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
...The good news is that I found a local dealer that can see me this afternoon.

I'll update this thread once I find out more.
Happy to hear you were able to get to the dealer, AK2112. Any updates? I want to check into some options.

Meagan

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Happy to hear you were able to get to the dealer, AK2112. Any updates? I want to check into some options.

Meagan
Hey Meagan. I am currently at the dealer, enjoying their waiting area while they check my car out.

Fingers crossed for good news after they have a look.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, after about 90 minutes at Fair Oaks Ford in Naperville (super nice new showroom/waiting area), I've got the car back.

They ran a cylinder power balance test which the car passed. They also checked the ignition coil connections and those were all good too. They reset the code, ran it for a little bit and it didn't come back up. Basically, it's all good.

Drove it home, pushed it past 4krpm for the first time since the light came on and I didn't throw a code or explode so that's good.

Fair Oaks Ford in Naperville IL... good dealer.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
One last question on this subject of a misfire...

Prior to getting that CEL on Tuesday morning, I drove the car on Monday night with very low fuel. When I eventually refuelled, the car was saying I had 4 miles til empty.

Could a very low gas level cause a misfire? I've googled around and seen a bunch of BMW related posts on this subject and was kind of curious if that could be what caused my code.

·
Registered
7,330 Posts
One last question on this subject of a misfire...

Prior to getting that CEL on Tuesday morning, I drove the car on Monday night with very low fuel. When I eventually refuelled, the car was saying I had 4 miles til empty.

Could a very low gas level cause a misfire? I've googled around and seen a bunch of BMW related posts on this subject and was kind of curious if that could be what caused my code.
You could, but the car would be starving for fuel and running poorly. You'd need to run the tank near bone dry for that to happen.

Also, don't boost below 1/4 tank.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
You could, but the car would be starving for fuel and running poorly. You'd need to run the tank near bone dry for that to happen.

Also, don't boost below 1/4 tank.
Or go around a corner quickly under throttle! Ask me how I know!

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks a ton for the info Joe.

I wasn't whipping, but I wasn't exactly cruising on the highway either.

By the time I got gas, I did put in 11 gallons so it was very low. Drove home from the gas station and then the next time I started it, I had the check engine light.

Regardless, Ive never let my tank go that low before and I'll be sure to not let that happen again.

·
Registered
14 Posts
2015 ST3 around 5000mi and I also had these codes come up with CEL light. It has happened twice so far. First time was the cylinder misfire and second was the random misfire. Both times it was determined by my ford dealer No Problem Found. He ran a complete diagnostic both times. First time he just cleared the code after the diagnostic but 2 weeks later it reappeared and then he cleared the code and performed some kind of factory reset procedure with calibration for engine misfire detection. Not exactly sure what he meant but he was working hard on it for over 2 hours the second time. It's been over a week and has not failed again. Will see what happens and report back if it fails again. Just like the OP mine ran smooth and no obvious symptom when misfire occured. The tech mentioned my second misfire was recorded when I was barely moving at 1mph.
I kinda thought it was from bad gas or something but he assured me it most likely was not that since the car runs smoothly. He was not sure what caused it except possibly not calibrated correctly when manufactured that's why he performed the reset and re-calibration. To be determined if this resolves the issue for good.

1 - 20 of 1722 Posts