Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
hey guys,
i haven't seen anything in other forums about this so i wanted to post to let everyone know this is a great option to get your blown ST back on the road!
Basically, if you go online and buy the ecoboost motor out of a 2013+ ford escape (make sure its the one with the turbo mounted in the center of the head), it is almost a direct bolt in for our STs! the only things i swapped over were the oil filter housing, a/c compressor mount, and coolant temp sensor housing. since doing this swap, i have put roughly 5,000 miles on the car and it runs perfectly, pulls hard, and hits full boost! i am running a statified tune with cobb accessport, catless downpipe, and exhaust. i purchased the ecoboost motor online for 800 dollars shipped. hopefully this will help someone out who is in a position similar to the one i was in.

also worth mentioning the CEL is not on and i have no codes :D

·
Registered
5,568 Posts
The 2.0 gen 1 (single scroll) engine came in the following vehicles

2010– Ford Mondeo
2011–2015 Ford Explorer
2011–2014 Ford Edge
2011– 2017 Range Rover Evoque
2011– Ford S-MAX
2012–2016 Ford Falcon
2013–2015 Ford Escape / Kuga
2013–2015 Land Rover Freelander 2
2013–2016 Ford Fusion
2013–2017 Ford Taurus
2013 – 2015 Lincoln MKZ
2015 – 2017 Land Rover Discovery Sport
2015– Lincoln MKC

·
Registered
8 Posts
The 2.0 gen 1 (single scroll) engine came in the following vehicles

2010– Ford Mondeo
2011–2015 Ford Explorer
2011–2014 Ford Edge
2011– 2017 Range Rover Evoque
2011– Ford S-MAX
2012–2016 Ford Falcon
2013–2015 Ford Escape / Kuga
2013–2015 Land Rover Freelander 2
2013–2016 Ford Fusion
2013–2017 Ford Taurus
2013 – 2015 Lincoln MKZ
2015 – 2017 Land Rover Discovery Sport
2015– Lincoln MKC
Can i put my focus st wire harness on the mkc block i bought one and noticed my wire harness has a different wire harness number. The K number on the tag

·
Registered
2 Posts
hey guys,
i haven't seen anything in other forums about this so i wanted to post to let everyone know this is a great option to get your blown ST back on the road!
Basically, if you go online and buy the ecoboost motor out of a 2013+ ford escape (make sure its the one with the turbo mounted in the center of the head), it is almost a direct bolt in for our STs! the only things i swapped over were the oil filter housing, a/c compressor mount, and coolant temp sensor housing. since doing this swap, i have put roughly 5,000 miles on the car and it runs perfectly, pulls hard, and hits full boost! i am running a statified tune with cobb accessport, catless downpipe, and exhaust. i purchased the ecoboost motor online for 800 dollars shipped. hopefully this will help someone out who is in a position similar to the one i was in.

also worth mentioning the CEL is not on and i have no codes :D
Do you think this would feasible on regular focus. swapping a ford escape engine into it and would the wiring harness still work?

·
Premium Member
1,870 Posts
I did some recon on the state of engine prices a while ago, and I found that your best bet at getting a cheap motor, was to source one from the car with the most sales.

The Lincolns, thought it is the same motor tend to fetch more money because to the untrained person its a "Lincoln motor" and therefore is worth more.f

I ended up coming to the same conclusion as you, that a 13 escape had the best chance of being cheap, though since thats now a 7 year old car, its becoming slightly more difficult to get one with low miles. It wont be long before all these motors become cheap as dirt. I envy the honda guys who buy motors for $300 lol

if you REALLY want to go cheap, you can sometimes pick up a blown motor for like $200, swap the rotating assembly with built components and get yourself a built motor for a little more than the cost of the internals.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I did some recon on the state of engine prices a while ago, and I found that your best bet at getting a cheap motor, was to source one from the car with the most sales.

The Lincolns, thought it is the same motor tend to fetch more money because to the untrained person its a "Lincoln motor" and therefore is worth more.f

I ended up coming to the same conclusion as you, that a 13 escape had the best chance of being cheap, though since thats now a 7 year old car, its becoming slightly more difficult to get one with low miles. It wont be long before all these motors become cheap as dirt. I envy the honda guys who buy motors for $300 lol

if you REALLY want to go cheap, you can sometimes pick up a blown motor for like $200, swap the rotating assembly with built components and get yourself a built motor for a little more than the cost of the internals.
The fusion has some good deals sometimes too. I picked mine up for $500 and 48,000 miles but I had to drive and hour and a half to get it.

I found another one near me with 55K miles for like $250 with a cracked oil pan I'm thinking of getting.

I think the shipping is what kills the price sometimes so if you can drive a little and pick it up you can get a great deal on it.

·
Super Moderator
10,072 Posts
Do you think this would feasible on regular focus. swapping a ford escape engine into it and would the wiring harness still work?
Maybe and no.

Reactions: 20XX

·
Registered
17 Posts
I will try an revive this thread instead of creating a new one. I have read quite a bit at this point about swapping an ST engine with that of another vehicle but since it looks like I will end up having to get one shipped from LKQ I REALLY want to ensure that what I am looking at is going to essentially be 100% compatible, meaning, other than having to swap some parts/brackets from the old engine to the "new" engine, this will be a direct replacement.

My son has a 2016 Focus ST and according to the extremely helpful list above posted by @SIstomper it appears that an engine from a 2015 Lincoln MKZ should be a direct swap for his car. Specifically, I am looking at this one since it has no front end damage and relatively reasonable mileage.
2015 Ford Escape Engine Assembly - ~232601242 (lkqonline.com)

It's listed as "(VIN 9, 8TH DIGIT, TURBO)" which matches up with the VIN on my son's car but again, I'd appreciate any and all feedback on whether this will be a direct swap for his 2016 ST and assuming that it is, any information you all might have regarding exactly what differences to expect during the swap would be seriously appreciated. I'm still on the fence about whether to attempt the swap on my own or suck it up and pay for it but either way I'd like to be as prepared as possible in advance.

Thanks in advance for anyone willing to help out the new guy here, I just want to do what I can to help my son without breaking the bank or making a mistake.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Also curious about this one with less miles. I know from above that the Escape received the "twin scroll" so it would not be a direct replacement for my son's 2016 ST, however, since the description with this engine says "2016 Ford Escape - 2.0L (VIN 9, 8th digit, turbo), thru 11/18/15 " would that mean it is a "single scroll" engine and that Ford did not start producing the "twin scroll" engines until 11/19/2015?
2014 Ford Escape Engine Assembly - ~277518194 (lkqonline.com)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Also curious about this one with less miles. I know from above that the Escape received the "twin scroll" so it would not be a direct replacement for my son's 2016 ST, however, since the description with this engine says "2016 Ford Escape - 2.0L (VIN 9, 8th digit, turbo), thru 11/18/15 " would that mean it is a "single scroll" engine and that Ford did not start producing the "twin scroll" engines until 11/19/2015?
2014 Ford Escape Engine Assembly - ~277518194 (lkqonline.com)
Did you figure this bout about the “twin and single scroll” engine? I am currently looking for a motor for my 2018 which I believe has the “twin scroll”

·
Registered
17 Posts
Did you figure this bout about the “twin and single scroll” engine? I am currently looking for a motor for my 2018 which I believe has the “twin scroll”
I didn't think the Focus ever received the twin scroll but I could be wrong. I ended up putting a 2014 Escape engine in my son's 2016 ST and it ran great for about two hours before it was right back in the shop throwing more misfire codes, it's currently still in the shop and I am contemplating just crashing the POS into a tree and taking the insurance payout at this point.

·
Administrator
12,657 Posts
The 2013-2018 focus ST is single scroll only. It was never released as a twin scroll in any market.

Reactions: TurboGT

·
Super Moderator
2014 ST3. Garrett Powermax turbo, Thermal Turboback, CPE intercooler, JBR intake, Innovative RMM
4,580 Posts
I didn't think the Focus ever received the twin scroll but I could be wrong. I ended up putting a 2014 Escape engine in my son's 2016 ST and it ran great for about two hours before it was right back in the shop throwing more misfire codes, it's currently still in the shop and I am contemplating just crashing the POS into a tree and taking the insurance payout at this point.
If it was piston failure, and the same tune, oil type, and driving habits took place after engine replacement, there's no doubt it broke another, more than likely from LSPI.

·
Registered
17 Posts
If it was piston failure, and the same tune, oil type, and driving habits took place after engine replacement, there's no doubt it broke another, more than likely from LSPI.
Everything is completely stock now other than a cooler, no tune on the car at all. Car drove completely fine and then son went to work and parked it. When he started it after work it immediately started misfiring. Based on what I have read on here, seems beyond common to just start misfiring and seems like few ever get a real fix.

·
Super Moderator
2014 ST3. Garrett Powermax turbo, Thermal Turboback, CPE intercooler, JBR intake, Innovative RMM
4,580 Posts
Everything is completely stock now other than a cooler, no tune on the car at all. Car drove completely fine and then son went to work and parked it. When he started it after work it immediately started misfiring. Based on what I have read on here, seems beyond common to just start misfiring and seems like few ever get a real fix.
Were the injectors, intake manifold, or any other bits reused from the old engine?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Were the injectors, intake manifold, or any other bits reused from the old engine?
Honestly not sure which intake they used but the injectors would have been from the previous engine, they flushed the injectors right before it was decided the engine was actually blown but they were not replaced. I replaced the purge valve, spark plugs, water pump, clutch and the two belts. Have not heard from the shop yet on what they find but at this point I'd be happy to replace the injectors if I was really sure it would get this damn thing back on the road.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Shop checked everything out and couldn't find any issues. They drove the crap out of the car, I even authorized one of the managers to take it home last night to drive it even more but nothing. They took all the coils off to check them so PERHAPS one wasn't hooked up right originally but honestly, I'm just holding my breath waiting for it to begin again. In any case, son has been driving it around today and so far so good.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts