Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys car has 40k on it. Owned since new.
Tuned since alil under 5k miles.
So heres my issue, not a huge issue but my tuner and I would feel more comfortable eliminating the false knock before making more power.
So since 5k I have had a protune from Ryan at PDtuning and I have a 93 plain tune, and I have a high advance higher boost tune thats a 50/50 93/100octane tune. He spent a decent amount of time doing revisions and really dialing it in, i believe our final one was 14th revision. But the one thing that ever since day one has plagued me and my car is this knock that comes and goes. Its usually cyl 3 or 4 during WOT Ill get 1 knock for a just a couple datalog blocks never through a whole pull and on a rare occasion maybe 2 knocks, so its not anything severe or crazy. Also its not every pull i can do 1 pull with 1 knock thru a couple secs, and do 3 pulls after that with no knock at all.
Ok so heres what Ive done to try and eliminate it.
1. Just did spark plugs less then 2k ago definitely helps but not for the knock.
2. Just did walnut blast and has reduced much of any ignition corr or knock that i did occasionally see.
3. Already had an E-RMM, but just because I was just trying anything I replaced it with the Boomba Stage 2 mount, and did alot of things greatly improving driving exprience but didnt eliminate that knock.
4. Those of you who read my posts know i do compression tests anally, and my comp is within 2 to 3 psi of what is was in the beginning of ownership, sits between 155 and 160 depending on the warmth of engine. So, good there.

So i guess my question is where else should i look, what could be causing it? Could it be one of the side motor mounts? Ive moved the coils around, it doesnt move with the coil. Downpipe is stock, so thats not it. I have an intake but i even put a bolt between the mounting tab arm and the mounting hole to put some space so the metal couldnt vibrate against each other. I dont know where else to look? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
OK well thanks for everyones input I appreciate it. Well I guess Ill put in some more questions. The two spots on the lower bumper/radiator mount area where the intercooler is, on the Levels FMIC the endtanks an some piping extend out and are real close to the metal of the radiator shrouding and like subframe pieces, either way its close to metal..lol, could the endtank pipes sometimes vibrating on that cause knock the whole way up in on cyl 4? I don't get extreme knock counts, and I have eliminated most of what I know to look for so I am kind of stuck searching elsewhere. Its strictly intermittent also, can do pull no knock, do another pull same road get a count of 1 or 2. I have recently put my Boomba racing RMM, has anyone ever had knock from their stiffer RMM. I have read some places that people were claiming that their RMM caused false knock. I would just like to figure out if thats the case, because my tuner even though I have done everything I can to eliminate knock, and my compression is good and my engines healthy he won't add any more power, or tune around it. So if I can't locate it at all, maybe I'll have to try a new tuner that can help me narrow it down and continue my tuning...freek? My current tuner seems to think I am bullshitting him or something. I send him an email with the datalogs showing the minor knocks occasionally, and it doesnt even always pull timing with a knock, and I tell him everything I have done as I listed above and he says well could be a rear motor mount.....like WTF did you just read what I wrote you I have a brand new Boomba RMM in it, sometimes I feel like he thinks I am just saying these things so hell do what I say and just drop the issue. But I have spent a ton of time searching for this knock and wanting to continue tuning. I mean this occasional knock count of 1 maybe 2 during WOT is sprinkled and its been there FOREVER and I would think after 40k if it was real and an issue it would have actually caused a serious problem by now? I dont fricken know...maybe I should just go back to stock and part out. I give up. HAHAHA

·
Registered
85 Posts
Have you read the stratified blog on EcoBoost knock? Knock is normal. If you’ve gone through 14 datalogs and revisions you probably have nothing to worry about. What gives you the idea it’s “phantom” knock? A well optimized tune is right on the edge of knock. 2-3 knocks on a WOT pull is fine. Your tuner probably doesn’t want to offend you and tell you you’re being pedantic and worrying way too much, but seems like that’s the case. Your motor is clearly healthy, plugs good, intake blasted.... What are you worried about?

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yea i have read that numerous times, and before i even owned an ST becoz i have a speed6 too. And he told me 1 knock count in an ST is only like 1/3 a knock in mazda speed meaning ifs not really that. Ad they are just super sensitive, but then whys he refusing to add anymore timing at the level we are at. Coz i have plenty of octane and fuel, my oar never leaves -1.00 even when i knock 1 or 2 it doesnt move.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Check where your intake mounts on the vacuum pump. Even though it has bushing/grommet, my JBR intake has apparently moved a little over time evidenced by the marks on the bottom of the mounting tab. Just a thought.

·
Registered
186 Posts
This is regularly experienced by many driver's of these cars. This drove me insane when I started tuning a few years ago. If you want to be extremely thorough you could investigate the condition of your injectors and whether each cylinder is receiving the same amount of fuel, but now we're splitting hairs. It wouldn't take much of a small imbalance in the AFR in one cylinder relative to the others to knock once on a pull.

It's a noble quest that you're on, but I'm afraid the loot may not be worth the journey.

If you blaze on, best of luck and let us know what you find!

·
Registered
906 Posts
Ok guys car has 40k on it. Owned since new.
Tuned since alil under 5k miles.
So heres my issue, not a huge issue but my tuner and I would feel more comfortable eliminating the false knock before making more power.
So since 5k I have had a protune from Ryan at PDtuning and I have a 93 plain tune, and I have a high advance higher boost tune thats a 50/50 93/100octane tune. He spent a decent amount of time doing revisions and really dialing it in, i believe our final one was 14th revision. But the one thing that ever since day one has plagued me and my car is this knock that comes and goes. Its usually cyl 3 or 4 during WOT Ill get 1 knock for a just a couple datalog blocks never through a whole pull and on a rare occasion maybe 2 knocks, so its not anything severe or crazy. Also its not every pull i can do 1 pull with 1 knock thru a couple secs, and do 3 pulls after that with no knock at all.
Ok so heres what Ive done to try and eliminate it.
1. Just did spark plugs less then 2k ago definitely helps but not for the knock.
2. Just did walnut blast and has reduced much of any ignition corr or knock that i did occasionally see.
3. Already had an E-RMM, but just because I was just trying anything I replaced it with the Boomba Stage 2 mount, and did alot of things greatly improving driving exprience but didnt eliminate that knock.
4. Those of you who read my posts know i do compression tests anally, and my comp is within 2 to 3 psi of what is was in the beginning of ownership, sits between 155 and 160 depending on the warmth of engine. So, good there.

So i guess my question is where else should i look, what could be causing it? Could it be one of the side motor mounts? Ive moved the coils around, it doesnt move with the coil. Downpipe is stock, so thats not it. I have an intake but i even put a bolt between the mounting tab arm and the mounting hole to put some space so the metal couldnt vibrate against each other. I dont know where else to look? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
I get knock on 1 and 4. Did a log with crappy gas and was getting 9 to 8 knocks . 5 on 2 and 3. Added e85 and it dropped to 2 and 0.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts