Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Bypass Valve Stuck Open?

So I have a 2017 ST with about 400 miles and I think my charge pipe blew off based on what I've read from others (no boost but the turbo spools up instantly with very little throttle). I guess this is a common issue but the car is bone stock and I'm relatively easy on it, so it seems strange that it would happen so early.

Anyway - I guess some clamps must have been left loose from the factory. I've read that the fix is easy, but does anyone have a link to any videos on where the pipes are that I should be looking for?

·
Registered
2016 Focus ST2
750 Posts
You should be looking for a dealership not videos.
Take it back let them fix it and document it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2017 Ford Focus ST
677 Posts
Its brand new, just take it to the dealer and have them fix it, don't waste your time. If you fix it yourself and u have to replace anything with non ford motorcraft parts, they may deny you warranty service in the future, being that this part is associated with the engine, I wouldn't take that risk.

Sent from my VS501 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
just search for "focus ST charge pipes" on you tube, a few videos pop up showing how to change out the charge pipes, the early steps where they take everything apart is all you really need to see where everything is. basically you follow the charge pipe all the way from the turbo at the back side of the engine, under the engine, to the intercooler and then back to the throttle body. there are many clamps along the way and any one of them could be loose allowing pressurized air to escape so you need to check every connection

·
Registered
825 Posts
I totally agree the dealer is the place to fix it.
Warranty is important, and working on the car yourself to fix a warranty item can and will screw up the warranty down the road.

·
Registered
80 Posts
The dealer should be your first call to arrange pick up / let them tell you to drive it in (get the name of the service person if they instruct you to do so)

Not disagreeing with the comments above but there is no reason not to figure out or try researching the issue on your own.

I am not telling you to start tearing into your new vehicle at all. However from your question I have to assume you don't have much experience with turbo charged vehicles. Thats ok, you will have lots of time to get the basics before you start modding your vehicle.

Now with that said you can look from the top of the engine bay while the vehicle is running and listen for air leaking from the system. Air enters the IC from the right side looking into the engine bay from the front, exits the IC on the left goes directly into your Intake located in the middle of the front engine bay. If you have a hose that has become loose it might be hard to isolate by sound due to the fact the system has a lot of connections in the system. ..

You wont be able to see the bottom half of the system without being under the vehicle with the cover off ....

Look up youtube videos for FMIC you get will a good look at the system with out getting your hands dirty and cost you nothing but time

Go to minute 6 of this video

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the info. This is indeed my first turbo car, but not my first performance car. I agree that my that my best bet probably is to take it in to the dealership so I have an appt first thing tomorrow morning. I think I'll put a few more miles on it before I do any wrenching myself.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well I guess I was wrong about a charge pipe coming off, on my ride to the dealership the car ran as good as new. I went for a ride with the tech and he thinks that whatever they coat the engine with to keep it from rusting may have cause the bypass valve to stick open. Anyone heard of this happening before?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Had the same issue with what seems to be the bypass vavle sticking open again last night. The weird thing is I shut the car off and immediately restarted at a red light and the car ran perfect again. Has anyone else heard about or had this issue? I'm a little reluctant to take it back to the dealer right away since I was just there and was unable to reproduce the issue when we went for a ride. They told me that if it started happening again that I can drop the car off and they can drive it around until it happens again, which I'm also not thrilled about.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts