Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Turbos are somewhat new to me, at least the performance end of them. Now that I have my AP 3 and can look at all this info,( that most of it I don't understand ) what should I be seeing for a difference between the two? I have the OEM lntercooler with the AGS always open, and today 73 deg. I had 73 deg intake and charge temp. How much would an after market cooler change that? (not that I an going to change) just curious. I would think the FRPP snorkel would drop intake some. Wish someone would make a similar part for a little less and no filter.(hint to FSWERKS or Cobb)

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
There is no cooling effect with the snorkel; to cool you must take away heat, i.e. the intercooler or evaporation of a liquid (water/methanol injection). The snorkel ensures you get cool outside air and none/less heated underhood air. You temperature reading of 73/73 proved that.

·
Registered
2,915 Posts
My charge temps yesterday was between 28C and 47C, averaging 34C.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was more interested on how much an after market cooler would drop the charge air temp, 2 deg or 10 or whatever.
I was kinda surprised that I had ambient temps all the way across. Just made me think a bit. I should go back to stock and see how much those shutters affect the temps if at all.

Thank all
Jim

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Charge Air Temps are what's going into the engine. It's the last temp sensor in other words. The Charge Air Temps are really what matter the most.

An example: Stock FMIC at the start of a 4th gear pull Charge Air Temps will be 90 degrees. At the end of the 4th gear pull Charge Air Temps will be over 200 degrees. This is because of the semi inadequate factory FMIC and small turbo that pushes high boost.

With an aftermarket FMIC your end result would be Charge Air Temps closer to 130-140 degrees at the end of the pull if you started at 90 degrees.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Thank you that is all I wanted to know. Gives me an idea of how things work.
When I was watching my temps it was at a steady speed, now I understand.

Thanks Randy
Jim

·
Registered
233 Posts
Charge Air Temps are what's going into the engine. It's the last temp sensor in other words. The Charge Air Temps are really what matter the most.

An example: Stock FMIC at the start of a 4th gear pull Charge Air Temps will be 90 degrees. At the end of the 4th gear pull Charge Air Temps will be over 200 degrees. This is because of the semi inadequate factory FMIC and small turbo that pushes high boost.

With an aftermarket FMIC your end result would be Charge Air Temps closer to 130-140 degrees at the end of the pull if you started at 90 degrees.
Are you talking dyno runs or actual on the road runs? I think the actual amount of cooling air through the intercooler can vary widely!

·
Registered
113 Posts
I was curious about how much heat was being contributed at each stage in the induction process, so I grabbed some datalogs last week and did a bit of analysis. If I've misunderstood any of the temp sensor locations or my analysis is wrong, I'd be happy to be corrected by someone more knowledgeable. Looking at you, Randy. ;)

Background for the graph below:
  • Car has FRPP intake, Corsiar/BREEDT intake runner, and FSWERKS 93 octane tune named "FSW8HSc beta for intake spacer".
  • Ambient air temp was 63F on day tested. Don't know humidity, but it was low.
  • Due to circumstances, the run was started with a 90 degree right turn onto a highway. This was not a run for maximum speed.
  • The car was warmed up (coolant at 189F) but driven gently prior to run.
Looking at the raw values was more confusing than necessary for the data I wanted in this particular case, so I derived some values:
  • Engine RPM as % of Redline (defined as 7000 RPM), in order to avoid a second Y axis
  • Pre-Filter Intake Tract Heating = Intake Air Temp - Ambient Air Temp
  • Post-Filter Intake Tract Heating = Compressor Inlet Temp - Intake Air Temp
  • Compressor Heating = Compressor Outlet Temp - Compressor Inlet Temp
  • Intercooler Cooling = Compressor Outlet Temp - Charge Air Temp
  • Total Heating = Charge Air Temp - Ambient Air Temp

And now the actual graph with analysis (some of which could be erroneous). I barely had time to get into third gear, so I know this graph is a very small window and I will do some longer and better-planned runs with the same PIDs logged.
run1_analysis.png

·
Registered
1 Posts
[/QUOTE]

I currently Have an aftermarket FMIC on my car, upgraded downpipe, injen intake, & off shelf stage 3 cobb tune while awaiting my pro tune: curious what what the max safe temp is no more then about 200 in fourth obviously & no more then like 150 in lower gears I'd imagine? How does Ambient temp factor into this measurement on CAT w/ the access port?

·
Registered
2015 Magnetic ST2,Cobb V3,FRPP cat back exhaust,1320 catted DP,Injen CAI,H&R springs
18 Posts
So 81-99 degrees driving around town in South Georgia is normal with a stock fmic?

·
Super Moderator
8,590 Posts
So 81-99 degrees driving around town in South Georgia is normal with a stock fmic?
Depends on the ambient air temp; the factory intercooler is very inefficient and heat soaks even under less than harsh conditions.

Reactions: 21DAFUL
1 - 15 of 15 Posts