Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Focus ST1
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased and installed a new FMIC, the Mishimoto 4.3" intercooler, and just want reassurance that 10-20 degrees over ambient air temps are normal? I stupidly forgot to use my accessport to check it before I did the install but I see people here with similar setups only seeing temps about 2-5 over ambient. I have not done a cold air intake yet, if that matters and could be the cause as to why I'm not seeing better temperatures. Any help is appreciated!

It's a 2018 FoST1. Mods are Mishimoto FMIC, Turbosmart blowoff valve, cobb accessport.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Typically my Mountune Intercooler keeps it 3-7 degrees above. Obviously depending on climate.

10-20 seems a little hot though. Did you keep the grill shutters in? If you did they could be stuck in the closed position.

Does it idle at 10-20 above or only at WOT?

·
Premium Member
2018 Ford Focus ST1
467 Posts
I think it was the 2016's and up (from what I remember) that read 12-16 degrees high for their sensor. If you look at the CAT and your temp readout on the dash for ambient temp before you fire up the car in the morning you'll see the CAT is WAY higher than ambient... So, that's the number you need to subtract from your CAT to get your actual reading. In Torque Pro, I just programmed the equation to take that value off so when it shows the value on the readout it's the real reading and I don't have to do math. :) On my 2018 ST1 mine read 16 degrees warmer than ambient with the stock FMIC and with the ESP it shows 12 degrees warmer than ambient... not sure why, but it just does.

Reactions: junits15

·
Registered
2018 Focus ST1
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Typically my Mountune Intercooler keeps it 3-7 degrees above. Obviously depending on climate.

10-20 seems a little hot though. Did you keep the grill shutters in? If you did they could be stuck in the closed position.

Does it idle at 10-20 above or only at WOT?
It idles 10-20 warmer, I haven't really had a chance to do WOT after the car warms up since I've had problems with my wheel spacers making sound :LOL: I haven't seen any threads with temps from the same intercooler I bought to compare though.
I actually took out the shutters because I figured the more air the better flowing through everything and the shutters I've heard can be a little wonky staying shut.

·
Registered
2018 Focus ST1
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think it was the 2016's and up (from what I remember) that read 12-16 degrees high for their sensor. If you look at the CAT and your temp readout on the dash for ambient temp before you fire up the car in the morning you'll see the CAT is WAY higher than ambient... So, that's the number you need to subtract from your CAT to get your actual reading. In Torque Pro, I just programmed the equation to take that value off so when it shows the value on the readout it's the real reading and I don't have to do math. :) On my 2018 ST1 mine read 16 degrees warmer than ambient with the stock FMIC and with the ESP it shows 12 degrees warmer than ambient... not sure why, but it just does.
Would this be possible to do with the Cobb Accessport? Appreciate the input! 😀

·
Premium Member
2018 Ford Focus ST1
467 Posts
Don't think you can do it, but I'm not positive as I don't have one (yet).. I bet if you talked to your tuner they could make the change in the calculation, though

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
It idles 10-20 warmer, I haven't really had a chance to do WOT after the car warms up since I've had problems with my wheel spacers making sound :LOL: I haven't seen any threads with temps from the same intercooler I bought to compare though.
I actually took out the shutters because I figured the more air the better flowing through everything and the shutters I've heard can be a little wonky staying shut.

My 2017 reads 16 degrees higher than ambient. So at 20 degrees above ambient I'm actually only 4 degrees above.

·
Registered
2018 Focus ST1
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My 2017 reads 16 degrees higher than ambient. So at 20 degrees above ambient I'm actually only 4 degrees above.
Thats reassuring! It definitely doesn't get higher when WOT, so that's great to know.

Now I just need to find a good tune for throttle response/traction control 😅

·
Registered
13 Posts
I purchased and installed a new FMIC, the Mishimoto 4.3" intercooler, and just want reassurance that 10-20 degrees over ambient air temps are normal? I stupidly forgot to use my accessport to check it before I did the install but I see people here with similar setups only seeing temps about 2-5 over ambient. I have not done a cold air intake yet, if that matters and could be the cause as to why I'm not seeing better temperatures. Any help is appreciated!

It's a 2018 FoST1. Mods are Mishimoto FMIC, Turbosmart blowoff valve, cobb accessport.
So I installed a 5.5" depo beast and was first discouraged/concerned by like you're saying by 15-20 CAT over ambient whereas many were reporting only 5-10 degrees.

Here's my question to you, are you using a Cobb OTS tune?

If so, I noticed my CAT reporting temps were seemingly now like everyone else's the moment I had JST do a custom map..

I havent seen anything over 10 from ambient since and I'm in SoFlo, ambients typically 90+.

I'm in a MY15.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Some tuners strategy has the CAT at or 1-2* above ambient temp. Stratified tunes are a prime example. I’m FBO E30 custom tuned by FreekTune and my CAT is always 15* above Ambient. I only look at temp rise doing a pull and it don’t. Good enough for me.

Doing a cheap mod this weekend. Putting Wiper fluid nozzles and a Check valve on in front of the FMIC. Using the rear washer pump for flow. Check valve in line For insurance if the nozzles are below the tank so it don’t siphon. I figure all I have to do to test the evaporative cooling is spray on the highway and monitor the CAT. Shouldn’t even need to do a pull to test the performance of the cooling affect on CAT.

·
Registered
2018 Focus ST1
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So I installed a 5.5" depo beast and was first discouraged/concerned by like you're saying by 15-20 CAT over ambient whereas many were reporting only 5-10 degrees.

Here's my question to you, are you using a Cobb OTS tune?

If so, I noticed my CAT reporting temps were seemingly now like everyone else's the moment I had JST do a custom map..

I havent seen anything over 10 from ambient since and I'm in SoFlo, ambients typically 90+.

I'm in a MY15.

Hope this helps.
It helps a lot actually! I am using an OTS tune, I plan on going with a stratified tune with their traction control or go to a tuner in columbus ohio where I'm at! Just not sure which route to go for the best results and the least risk to my engine lol

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
It helps a lot actually! I am using an OTS tune, I plan on going with a stratified tune with their traction control or go to a tuner in columbus ohio where I'm at! Just not sure which route to go for the best results and the least risk to my engine lol
I'm running a JST custom tune. I'm curious what is so different about stratified's traction control? what is so different from the traction control that is built into the OTS tunes and my jst tune for that matter? I believe it's just built into the AP itself. Other than I believe it defaults to on with the multiplier set on 4 I believe.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts