Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning some brake upgrades, and this included changing the brake fluid out with higher temp fluid like Motul or the StopTech STR600 or something equivalent.

I noticed on the Cobb website regarding the StopTech STR600, they recommended 3 liters of this product if you were completely changing out the fluid. Wow 3 liters!!

So my question is, of the folks that have actually done this, what was the realistic amount you needed to do the fluid swap. I understand that some new fluid will be lost due to bleeding the system of air, and that could or could not be a painless endeavor..... but I just can't imagine it would take a full 3 liters....

Any input would be welcomed. I don't want to end up with a couple pints of this stuff that I didn't really need.

Thanks!

·
Administrator
12,987 Posts
I'm planning some brake upgrades, and this included changing the brake fluid out with higher temp fluid like Motul or the StopTech STR600 or something equivalent.

I noticed on the Cobb website regarding the StopTech STR600, they recommended 3 liters of this product if you were completely changing out the fluid. Wow 3 liters!!

So my question is, of the folks that have actually done this, what was the realistic amount you needed to do the fluid swap. I understand that some new fluid will be lost due to bleeding the system of air, and that could or could not be a painless endeavor..... but I just can't imagine it would take a full 3 liters....

Any input would be welcomed. I don't want to end up with a couple pints of this stuff that I didn't really need.

Thanks!
https://www.lelandwest.com/brake-fluid-comparison-chart.cfm?startRow=1&SF=5&ST=2

Here's a nice chart with a bunch of fluids and actual temps dry/wet in it. Its quite informative.

As far as quantity, flushing your brakes is a maintenance procedure. SO you will be doing it again. Especially if you track the car, or run the brakes hard while carving through some mountains.

Most of the people I talk to, and I agree with this, you should flush out high performance brake fluid at least once a year.

The clutch uses the same reservoir, so flushing that out is a good idea as well. Its quite easy if you run a one man bleeding set-up, or two people.

So with this said, I would buy three. Just so you have an extra. Then if you get it done in two, next time just buy two. I like to have a spare on hand of the stuff I run. In case a bleeder breaks, or a hose wasnt tight enough. **** happens, so prepare for thew worst and hope for the best.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the great info.

The Cobb web site suggest six (6) of them..... and I just thought that would be too much for one change. I will go with four and I'd say I'll be good from what you provided. Maybe I can do it using only two and will have two left over. If not, I'll buy another one later to go with the one I have left over.

Thanks again!!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts