Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First post here, I have a Roush catback and stratified 7.1 crackles and pops tune for the past 5k miles. Past few hundred miles ive notice the exhaust note slightly
changing, as in a little rasp above 3500rpms. Stock downpipe, perhaps I am breaking up the stock cat? All numbers and gauges read normal and car acts normal, just
the exhaust note is changing in the higher rpms. What say yall? oh yea 50k on the car so far.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Some people have said their note changes after the exhaust "breaks in." I have never noticed this on any other car I have put an exhaust on though. Guess I will find out when I do a turbo back on this.

·
Super Moderator
9,548 Posts
I can't imagine extra fuel being burned post turbo is good for the catalytic converter.

·
Registered
524 Posts
From what I've seen with brand new exhausts, the note does change, but for me it has happened within the first 1000 (maybe even 500) miles. So I'm seconding what ^^he said.

·
Registered
388 Posts
I can't imagine extra fuel being burned post turbo is good for the catalytic converter.
This.

I've heard that the crackle and pop tune from stratified and damage the cat. I could be wrong though

Since the exhaust has over 5k miles I would think its past the break in period by now.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nothing else I can think of besides the cat, exhaust has been on for over 10K miles. Guess I'll wait until the cel light comes on then upgrade the downpipe to catless. Maybe blow some cat honeycomb chunks at tailgaters until then.

Reactions: Dean the Machine

·
Registered
768 Posts
It's not. Probably why there's a warning on Strat's website about doing so at your own risk.

I have the Cobb cat back and my "note" has changed...for the better I might add. My drone has dissipated some (although that could be I've become more tolerant), but the exhaust has developed a bit of a burble (nothing resembling snaps, crackles, and pops) that's quite enjoyable on decal. So my opinion is that exhaust note and sounds to change some after a break in period.

·
Registered
474 Posts
@[email protected] has posted a few times about how the V2 crackles does not add more fuel to the exhaust to create the pops. Cat temps are same whether you use the crackles or the non-crackles tune.

Post from other thread on same subject:
http://www.focusst.org/forum/strati...7-10-crackles-safe-stock-cat.html#post1189017

I've been running v2 crackles for 5,000+ miles and my cat still works just fine. Nobody on here has had a cat failure because of this that I've seen yet. At the end of the day if you are truly concerned about it you could just switch to the non-crackles tune and remove any fears.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
@[email protected] has posted a few times about how the V2 crackles does not add more fuel to the exhaust to create the pops. Cat temps are same whether you use the crackles or the non-crackles tune.

Post from other thread on same subject:
http://www.focusst.org/forum/strati...7-10-crackles-safe-stock-cat.html#post1189017

I've been running v2 crackles for 5,000+ miles and my cat still works just fine. Nobody on here has had a cat failure because of this that I've seen yet. At the end of the day if you are truly concerned about it you could just switch to the non-crackles tune and remove any fears.
No fear, just gives me a reason to upgrade the downpipe, sounds like I'm gonna be the first to destroy the cat from crackle and pops. I deserve it, I make
it crackle and pop entirely way too much cause...I'm a grown up child. Will keep yall updated

·
Registered
122 Posts
My exhaust sounds quite different between the Stratified CrackePop tune and my PD Tune.
The PD one is notably quieter on cruising compared to Stratified's cruising noise.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts