Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in Virginia and I'd really love to get either the black or smoke variant of Spec-D's tail lights for my 2015 ST. I was wondering if anyone had any experience or advice with these tail lights in regards to whether or not the police would likely give me a hard time for them? Additionally, if they would cause problems with car inspection? I guess I could just swap out to the factory tail lights for inspection given how infrequently that happens, but I'd hate to buy these only for me to end up not using them because of cop problems...

·
Super Moderator
8,590 Posts
I live in Virginia and I'd really love to get either the black or smoke variant of Spec-D's tail lights for my 2015 ST. I was wondering if anyone had any experience or advice with these tail lights in regards to whether or not the police would likely give me a hard time for them? Additionally, if they would cause problems with car inspection? I guess I could just swap out to the factory tail lights for inspection given how infrequently that happens, but I'd hate to buy these only for me to not want to use them because of cop problems...
When ever I have a question of this type, I go down the street and ask the state trooper that lives on my block. He's pretty honest as far as telling what the P.D.'s are looking for. If you don't know anyone in law enforcement, there's a chance you have a friend or relative that does.

Reactions: dankwise and SgtMoo

·
Registered
994 Posts
I've run the smoked Spec-D taillights for 2 years without any issue. I think it's really a subjective matter. Police in my area of PA don't really seem to care (State or Local).

The visibility is acceptable during the day, excellent at night.

·
2017 Kona Blue ST1
2,086 Posts
The issue here isn't "equipment" it's preference. Every officer is different at different parts of the day. The biggest factor here is you. How do you drive? What's the exterior of your vehicle look like? Are you blasting your music, virtually straight piped, speeding and holding out second to test the limits of that snap, crackle, & pop tune?

You have states and certain agencies that really go after motorists for equipment violations. Most are the same that use citations are a revenue source (which is not in the public interest and directly infringes on people's rights). Others are officers that have a personal bias against certain vehicles.

I had a LT that loved to cite for failure to display front plate (two required where I enforced), yet he himself didn't run one because he didn't like the way it looked. Or the coworker that would cite for loud exhaust bit drove a Harley that was ridiculously loud.

Both are examples of unethical people and are not a real representation of your average officer. The key here is known where you are, how you are driving and especially how you treat that officer when they pull you over.

If you do get a citation remember that the side of the road isn't the time or the place to fight it. That's what your court date is for.

Stay Safe
J

·
Registered
145 Posts
The issue here isn't "equipment" it's preference. Every officer is different at different parts of the day. The biggest factor here is you. How do you drive? What's the exterior of your vehicle look like? Are you blasting your music, virtually straight piped, speeding and holding out second to test the limits of that snap, crackle, & pop tune?

You have states and certain agencies that really go after motorists for equipment violations. Most are the same that use citations are a revenue source (which is not in the public interest and directly infringes on people's rights). Others are officers that have a personal bias against certain vehicles.

I had a LT that loved to cite for failure to display front plate (two required where I enforcemed), yet he himself didn't run one because he didn't like the way it looked. Or the coworker that would cite for loud exhaust bit drove a Harley that was ridiculously loud.

Both are examples of unethical people and are not a real representation of your average officer. The key here is known where you are, how you are driving and especially how you treat that officer when they pull you over.

If you do get a citation remember that the side of the road isn't the time or the place to fight it. That's what your court date is for.

Stay Safe
J
The easiest way to get out of a ticket is to treat the officer with respect and make them feel comfortable, pull over, car off, lights on, hands on steering wheel. Ask permission to reach into the glove box or center console when they ask for ID/insurance, where I live you do this and 99/100 times they let you off with a warning.

·
2017 Kona Blue ST1
2,086 Posts
The easiest way to get out of a ticket is to treat the officer with respect and make them feel comfortable, pull over, car off, lights on, hands on steering wheel. Ask permission to reach into the glove box or center console when they ask for ID/insurance, where I live you do this and 99/100 times they let you off with a warning.
In the last decade I can remember every stop I've ever made. The above statement is absolutely true.

·
Premium Member
2,235 Posts
2+ yrs running them, no hassles driving into VA but I’m inspected/registered DC which only checks emissions. If you’re paranoid or think there’s a cop behind you just turn on your running lights and they’re plenty red and bright enough. I also didn’t black out the lower reflectors so there’s always some red day or night.

Pretty sure they are DOT approved for 50-states, what’s not legal everywhere is tinting stock lights

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
2+ yrs running them, no hassles driving into VA but I’m inspected/registered DC which only checks emissions. If you’re paranoid or think there’s a cop behind you just turn on your running lights and they’re plenty red and bright enough. I also didn’t black out the lower reflectors so there’s always some red day or night.

Pretty sure they are DOT approved for 50-states, what’s not legal everywhere is tinting stock lights
That's reassuring to hear that you also haven't encountered any issues, even after running them for a good while! Are they the smoke or black ones?

·
Registered
2017 MM ST3
414 Posts
I've had the smoked ones, black ones, and currently have red smoked ones and never had an issue with the police. I've never heard of anyone having issues with the lights and the police either. I bet you would be fine. These are the red smoked:

·
Registered
15 TB Focus ST3
392 Posts
@mmst3 Dare I ask why you have had all 3 pairs?! Longevity/quality?

Was gonna spend like 800 on RS rears filling the rear housings with Diode Dynamic LEDs, but I can't shake how these still look so good.

I'm not a big proponent of sacrificing function for form... tell me what I want to hear?

·
Registered
994 Posts

Was gonna spend like 800 on RS rears filling the rear housings with Diode Dynamic LEDs, but I can't shake how these still look so good.

I'm not a big proponent of sacrificing function for form... tell me what I want to hear?
I haven't had much of an issue with mine until now, at the 2.5 year mark - one of the LEDs for the turn signal went out - but the signal is still easily visible.

That'd be the only thing I've heard, the LEDs can be flakey.

·
Registered
15 TB Focus ST3
392 Posts
I haven't had much of an issue with mine until now, at the 2.5 year mark - one of the LEDs for the turn signal went out - but the signal is still easily visible.

That'd be the only thing I've heard, the LEDs can be flakey.
I'm assuming not serviceable?

·
Registered
2017 MM ST3
414 Posts

The first set I bought were the smoked ones, I liked them but then I saw the black ones on an ST on insta. So I bought the black ones and put one of each (smoked/black) on the car to see which ones I liked better. Ended up going with the black ones and sold the smoked set to a friend.

Then just before the year mark with the black ones, my dad noticed the brake light was dimming on one of the lights. So I bought these red smoked ones because a friend of a friend said they were supposed to be better quality and last longer. Plus they have sequential turn signals which is badass, no one around has them.

I've had them about a year now and no issues that I know of yet, knock on wood lol. I would agree that the stock tails just don't do it for me either, the spec-d ones look the best of everything I've seen. I know lots of people run them but no one around me at least has these ones so they still feel unique among all the others.

It seems like a mixed bag buying spec-d whether you'll get a set that last years with no issues or some that last a year and start having issues. I love the look of them too much to go back to stock so I keep buying more haha. I'm really hoping with how much I spent on these that they will last me forever or until I sell the car.

·
Registered
15 TB Focus ST3
392 Posts
The first set I bought were the smoked ones, I liked them but then I saw the black ones on an ST on insta. So I bought the black ones and put one of each (smoked/black) on the car to see which ones I liked better. Ended up going with the black ones and sold the smoked set to a friend.

Then just before the year mark with the black ones, my dad noticed the brake light was dimming on one of the lights. So I bought these red smoked ones because a friend of a friend said they were supposed to be better quality and last longer. Plus they have sequential turn signals which is badass, no one around has them.

I've had them about a year now and no issues that I know of yet, knock on wood lol. I would agree that the stock tails just don't do it for me either, the spec-d ones look the best of everything I've seen. I know lots of people run them but no one around me at least has these ones so they still feel unique among all the others.

It seems like a mixed bag buying spec-d whether you'll get a set that last years with no issues or some that last a year and start having issues. I love the look of them too much to go back to stock so I keep buying more haha. I'm really hoping with how much I spent on these that they will last me forever or until I sell the car.
Can you link the ones you've settled on, higher quality sequential? :D

·
Registered
15 TB Focus ST3
392 Posts
They are on mk3focusrs.club. They're expensive and they come from Europe so shipping is even more but I love em. The ones I have are the red smoked sequential like I said but they have other ones.
Thanks for the link. Hard choice. Definitely smoked... but Chrome or red. I'm gonna be buying multiple sets 😅

·
Super Moderator
8,590 Posts
Thanks for the link. Hard choice. Definitely smoked... but Chrome or red. I'm gonna be buying multiple sets 😅
Hi. I have multiple sets of these lights to sell you. E-mail me at: thisisnotascam.payme...

Reactions: MtnMan
1 - 20 of 24 Posts