Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So was thinking about possibly buying one to help release pressure and I found a review on here with alotta issues that just told me alot of owners had compression issues and it took 23 pages for people to figure that out. Coming from a Speed6 I had a corksport catch can that was filling up within a few hundred miles and it was bad bad compression so I knew right away when read people were having oil literally pushed out their valve cover if it had an opening. My question is all the compression issues aside, was there any issues with the check ball and baffle or was it just people with crank case pressure issues due to compression issues?

·
Super Moderator
7,062 Posts
So was thinking about possibly buying one to help release pressure and I found a review on here with alotta issues that just told me alot of owners had compression issues and it took 23 pages for people to figure that out. Coming from a Speed6 I had a corksport catch can that was filling up within a few hundred miles and it was bad bad compression so I knew right away when read people were having oil literally pushed out their valve cover if it had an opening. My question is all the compression issues aside, was there any issues with the check ball and baffle or was it just people with crank case pressure issues due to compression issues?

From the few members I have discussed this with, it's not that great of a buy. You'd be better off with an aftermarket pcv plate, or even a VTA catch can in the appropriate location.

Forgot to add, with larger turbos it seemed to just shoot oil out on several cars, so my above recommendations hold more value when you start making real hp. There are a few people with no problems, but if I recall, they had mild setups.

I'd look elsewhere, just my opinion, with my experience here. Actually, i probably have read over half the site, probably more. Not to mention my constant monitoring and reading, so yeah, screw that noise. Lmao

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea I have read alot of it, but the people I noticed that seemed to have issues had compression problems. And I have a radium PCV plate. But crankcase pressure is always an issue with turbo cars, more because the constant boost building and receding makes the seals push in and out and can wear them out much faster. So I know in the speed world people ran upgraded pcv plates, catch cans and the breather lids together especially on big turbo setups. So I guess my question still stands, were the people having issues having issues because of the actual piece by cfm or underlying crankcase pressure issues because of combustion compression escaping past rings causing excessive crank case pressures.

·
Registered
607 Posts
I haven't ran one on this car but.... I don't see any sort of baffling under / around the oil fill cap, so that is probably part of the problem. I pulled the oil cap off once while the engine was running (rookie mistake... bad habit from working on LS1s where doing that is not a problem) and it was actively spitting oil out. At high rpm.... some positive crankcase pressure, I can easily see how the out flow could get a little oily there.

·
Premium Member
1,538 Posts
I’ve been running the CFM breather instead of a clean side can along with a Boomba PCV can for 3+ yrs and no issues. I can tell it vents because it does get dirty but never splatters the engine cover or anything. I clean it about twice a year. Before I installed the breather and the catch can I had an oil slick from the clean-side intake port, after installing no more. That said, I’m still on stock tune with no real engine mods.

·
Super Moderator
7,062 Posts
Yea I have read alot of it, but the people I noticed that seemed to have issues had compression problems. And I have a radium PCV plate. But crankcase pressure is always an issue with turbo cars, more because the constant boost building and receding makes the seals push in and out and can wear them out much faster. So I know in the speed world people ran upgraded pcv plates, catch cans and the breather lids together especially on big turbo setups. So I guess my question still stands, were the people having issues having issues because of the actual piece by cfm or underlying crankcase pressure issues because of combustion compression escaping past rings causing excessive crank case pressures.
Well, on the other hand, a friend of mine has a 634whp ST, and doesnt run one, lol. Either one of your scenarios is a problem. Which is why I suggested a pcv plate and a vta catch can. If you have excessive blowby the cfm is going to shoot oil. If you run past 25 psi, odds are that its going to shoot. If you have excessive crankcase pressure, its going to shoot. I am no expert, because I wrote off that part awhile ago, but my opinion is still to look elsewhere. You are already on a good path to mitigate crank pressure.

What setup are you planning to run, that you are expecting to need this part?

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
I run a dual Port catch can system one side feeding from the manifold and the other from the intake tube with check valves. It has a vented breather cap (it's not a CFM though) with baffling. And it uses the breather cap to draw air into the block through to the catch can. The only issue I had was one they had the cap vented to the intake tube. When you would get on Boost the turbo would suck the oil out. I now vent in my airbox with its own little clamp on filter no issues. Oh and I also train my cat scan every 5000 miles with an oil change. And I don't think I've gotten more than 4 ounces out of it yet (holds about 16 oz).

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
About this Discussion
6 Replies
5 Participants
G heinrich
Ford Focus ST Forum
We’re the premiere Ford Focus ST forum with discussions on the 2013+ Focus ST. Join the community and see the latest news, photos, videos, classifieds, reviews, events and more!
Full Forum Listing