Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking about getting ceramic pads to cut down on brake dust, what have peoples experiences been with them? Good or bad. I live in New Hampshire not sure how they'll do in the winter.

·
Registered
797 Posts
I've got HPS pads right now. Can't wait to get them off. They're super noisy, sounds like a semi truck braking, and the dust is bad. As in staining my wheels red bad.. I will say though, braking performance is awesome.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I've had the HPS on my car, front and rear for over a year. They're great for the street, no noise and very little dust compared to the oe pads, I'd get them again����

·
Registered
283 Posts
I had hawk ceramics. Zero dust zero noise but a lot of loss in barking performance especially when they heat up too much. Not for aggressive driving

·
Registered
311 Posts
You will lose a ton of performance and the pedal will feel dead. It will feel like you are pushing on the pedal but nothing is happening. Its fine, just not near as good as stock pads or HP+

·
Registered
483 Posts
I was curious about this as well. Best to contact Hawk and see what they say on how their ceramics compare to their HPS or HP+. I would think for ceramic options Hawk would be the most aggressive.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Doesn't sound like HPS. Maybe HP+?

Sent from another garage.
I have HPS on the front of my ST, and I can confirm they are quite noisy and dusty. If you don't warm them up they squeak alot.

And the dust is absolutely killer on the pads, they completely cover my weeks in a week or so. I did the proper install and break-in procedure as well.

Reactions: Ron Jeremy

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Well that was a lot of mixed information. Some people saying HPS is great, others saying noisy as hell. Can't seem to figure out what the best choice is for a DD car with occasional auto-x or track days. Almost sounds like I should just stick with stock.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Well that was a lot of mixed information. Some people saying HPS is great, others saying noisy as hell. Can't seem to figure out what the best choice is for a DD car with occasional auto-x or track days. Almost sounds like I should just stick with stock.
HPS or HP+ for mixed use. Actually if you don't plan on pushing it really hard on the track you can run HPS, multiple laps back to back of heavy braking could cause you issues.

Reactions: Bryman13

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
HPS or HP+ for mixed use. Actually if you don't plan on pushing it really hard on the track you can run HPS, multiple laps back to back of heavy braking could cause you issues.
I would never run HP+ on the street (noise and lack of initial bite). And I would never run HPS on the track unless you really know what you're doing. The moment when the pedal goes to the floor and you're doing 125 down the front straight is NO FUN. If you are on the track, buy some proper track pads. A track day costs several hundred dollars. Don't cheap out on the bit that keeps you from putting your car in the wall or hitting another car. If you want to save money at the track, buy gas off-site and pack a lunch.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Anyone that is saying that HPS pads are covering their wheels in dust are either super finnicky about dirt or their pistons aren't retracting properly.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I would never run HP+ on the street (noise and lack of initial bite). And I would never run HPS on the track unless you really know what you're doing. The moment when the pedal goes to the floor and you're doing 125 down the front straight is NO FUN. If you are on the track, buy some proper track pads. A track day costs several hundred dollars. Don't cheap out on the bit that keeps you from putting your car in the wall or hitting another car. If you want to save money at the track, buy gas off-site and pack a lunch.
Like I said, if you don't plan on pushing it hard on the track then you can get away with HPS. I did 3 track days on my HPS pads and stock rotors without any issue. I didn't divebomb into every turn trying to brake as hard as I can. focused more about my transitions and limits of my car in the turns. With that said I have some DTC-30s on the way for my next track day :)

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Like I said, if you don't plan on pushing it hard on the track then you can get away with HPS. I did 3 track days on my HPS pads and stock rotors without any issue. I didn't divebomb into every turn trying to brake as hard as I can. focused more about my transitions and limits of my car in the turns. With that said I have some DTC-30s on the way for my next track day :)
HA! I run DTC-70s! Which reminds me, I need to order a spare set. I can only get 2 track days (10 sessions) out of a new set. And I have a 3-day event next week at Summit.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I recently switched to ferodo ds2500. I daily drive them and do about one auto X a month on them. They are superior to oem when warmed up. Great bite at auto X and very quiet during daily. Pricy but worth it

·
Registered
704 Posts
I used Hawk HPS on my Legacy with cryo-treated rotors (they really do last longer) and never had issues with noise and found the dust to be less than OEM.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts